Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-06, 10:51 PM   #1
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bass Boat vs. Flats Boat

I'm about to start looking at boats. Should be able to purchase one in the next month or two. Right now I'm leaning towards a flats boat. Just looking for feedback from the members who have had both a flats and a bass boat. Both boats are very similar in size and price, bass boat should have slightly more storage, flats boat has the tower over the motor which I could use to spot beds. The flats boat won't have quite as good of a ride. Any other pros and cons that yall have found that might help me make my decision? I'll be looking for something in the 15-18 foot range. Don't want to get too big as its hard to get a bigger boat into some of the lakes around here.
Old 03-15-06, 11:24 PM   #2
flfireman

Ive been doing the same comparisons. I will disagree about the ride. The action craft, hewes, eagle, bay stealth all have incredible rides. They also handle the chop as good or better than most bass boats. The storage thing is true unless you move up to a 20' flats. Im currently looking at a 20' eagle and the storage options are incredible. Hoping to have a new boat by summer. The biggest thing I have found is once you add FLATS to the name of a boat it increases the price by 5-6 thousand.
Old 03-15-06, 11:55 PM   #3
Christopherkeene9

SHALLOW so you can fresh and salt fish! Mosquito lagoon the nations best!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 08:00 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

Rodman and Firefly

Though pricey but from what I have read and heard about them check out Storm Boats. Supposed to be well worth the money. Dont know if they make a 18ftr but I do know they make a 20ftr and there ride is supposed to be good and speeds are respectable.
Old 03-16-06, 08:00 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah laser they do it is a tunnel hulled hot rod -i really need to haul hydrilla hound dawg's butt over here...his packs a 300x and currantly messing with props goes about 90+

zooker
Old 03-16-06, 10:15 PM   #6
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Why not rent a few of each for a day or 2 and make up your own mind? I really prefer bass boats, because of the storage, and setup for bass fishing. Not really too many places you won't be able to fish with one. Get a good trolling motor and you can get through the weeds pretty well. Just what I prefer, not necessarily what you prefer. You could always buy a Jet boat.

Lizards
Old 03-17-06, 07:26 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
yeah laser they do it is a tunnel hulled hot rod -i really need to haul hydrilla hound dawg's butt over here...his packs a 300x and currantly messing with props goes about 90+

zooker
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!! MY KINDA BOAT............ Fishing out of a rocket.
Old 03-18-06, 11:10 PM   #8
flfireman

Actually been in a lot lately. The 20 ftr. Im looking at actually has as much storage as most bass boats. Biggest thing with me is cleaning sand from the carpets. Also the 20 is a tunnel hull and has a 8 or 10 inch draft. That's nice for pretty much everywhere I need to go.
Old 03-19-06, 07:34 PM   #9
bass kicker

alot of people down here use them on the great lakes because they ride better in rough water they just take the tower off
Old 03-25-06, 12:36 PM   #10
flbassman

Flat's boat. A bass boat won't perform as good in the salt as a flats boat will do in the fresh. My opinion only, I'm definitley no expert.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.