Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-16-09, 07:36 AM   #1
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Issue with Basscaster

I am a newbie to Bassfishing. Hello my concern begins with knowledge with Basscaster is slim to none,last weekend cast out and wow my reel was cross the line tangle was able to retreve line back to reel but was not going to try again until I found out what I was doing wrong,did a little research and found out there is a features on reel Brake which I have no clue how to set and the Drag . so now I asking the Pros on your experience and knowledge on basscaster feature. Thanks for taking your time and reading my post
italian dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 07:51 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

with just about any baitcaster, tie on your lure, then set the brake dial if you have one to zero, put your rod tip up at a 45 degree angle and push in on the thumb bar,and watch how fast your lure hits the floor. The line tension knob should be set so that when the lure hits the floor your spool only turns one more time and then quits.
Once you get the line tension set correctly go back to the brakes and put the dial at four or five to start out with, as you cast more you may want to ease back one setting for more distance.

If you have magnetic brakes on the other side of the reel open the side plate and set two down and four up.
Don't try to throw to hard, use your thumb slightly to feather the spool as you cast. Once you have it all set up correctly, each time you put on a dif weight lure go through the process each time, setting the tension line drop know till the lure hits the floor and the spool only turns one more time.
It may take a few times to get the line drop to stop the way you want it.
Then adjust your brakes.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 10:25 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sorry for posting the link to my site but the pics don't show up if I copy and paste it here.

Properly Adjusting a Baitcaster

BB
Old 08-16-09, 03:30 PM   #4
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys for your help
Old 08-16-09, 04:03 PM   #5
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

the only other thing i can add is remember to stop the spool with your thumb before the lure hits the water , your thumb is your best friend with a baitcaster get used to using it .

jim
Old 08-16-09, 10:33 PM   #6
nofearengineer

I would add, while it may seem hard right now, it only takes a few hundred casts and some patience before you're really, truly into the groove with it, and you'll love it.
Old 08-16-09, 11:07 PM   #7
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

i put a piece of tape on my spooled line. I did my farthest cast, let out a bit more, and put a 5" strip of electrical tape there. I also slightly over tighten both my brakes. That has made the early days of baitcasting much more fun. I also use heavy lures which helps. I am getting almost no backlashes currently after just 3 weeks. I very slightly loosen the brakes but inevitably I changes lures and start over again. I even have the dial set to 8 9 as i learn to apply pressure with my thumb. Optimal settings for me the noob proved to be a waste of time line and fish. My recommedation to learn, over tighten.

Fluid casting is key. Also watch the video on the homepage on how to clear the backlash.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 03:46 AM   #8
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All very good tips.

Here is another good resource:

http://pages.videotron.com/fishing/bait101.htm

Also, for learning purposes, try to practice with something that is at least 1/2 oz. For the possibility that you might be in Europe, let's just say use at least 14.2 grams.
Old 08-18-09, 05:04 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Really good info, guys. Most likely, my next setup will be a baitcaster. I'm savin this thread for sure
Old 08-19-09, 06:02 AM   #10
italian dude
BassFishin.Com Member

I've learn alot from you guys thanks for your time to post

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.