Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-14-15, 09:56 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Tube Baits

Yes, they catch fish, and admittedly, I don't use them nearly as often as I should. I plan to change that and start using tubes more now that the late spring, early summer time is here. Many small fry are swimming around, and the smaller profile of a tube should produce. Looking at all the tube baits on the market, it's hard to see any real difference in them, except for a few. The Gene Larue Mega Ring Tube, and the Yum Vibra Ring Tube are two that have caught my interest and are different from the standard tube. But here is my question. With all the tubes on the market that look pretty much identical, are there any real differences that make one better than the next? I see some have a solid head which I think would be helpful for pitching into cover, but other than that, they pretty much all seem to be the same. Do you have a preferred tube, and why?
Old 06-14-15, 10:47 AM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The softer ones have more action and sink slower..
The hard tipped ones are best for flipping.

The mag tubes from strike king are a great choice for flipping. So do you HP hook or texas rig or predator rig them?

Capt Mike
Old 06-14-15, 11:13 AM   #3
keithdog

Capt...I nearly always texas rig mine with either a peged tungsten bullet weight or an internal weight that rattles. I'm not sure what you mean by HP or the predator rig. Please explain.
Old 06-14-15, 11:22 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I don't fish tubes often but when I do I use Dos Equis. Walt, that's not right. I have never fished a tube with an external weight, mainly because I fish them in heavy grass or tree tops and I think they are less prone to hang up using a weighted tube hook or an internal weight and an Eagle Claw Shaw Grigsby hook. I like the clip to secure the tube and while it works with other baits, I limit my use of this hook to tubes. Brand of tube does not make any difference to me and I usually fish a 3" or 4" tube in white or blue fleck.

Shaw tube hook and an internal weight, my preferred rigging method. shown in picture.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-14-15 at 11:32 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-15, 11:28 PM   #5
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The only tube bait I've ever caught fish on was the "flying lure".
Turned out to be the only lure that caught bass that first time I sued them. Never had that luck with them again.
I tried tube baits a couple of decades ago ... and I didn't like them. I'll stick with my t-rigged soft plastic stickbaits.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 08:55 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

The image Bassboogieman posted is the HP hook and predator weight.

Did they go and change the names?

In the early spring we would fish tubes with Oldham jig heads both weedless and open hook. Squirt some juice in the tube and fish rip rap and sea walls. The tide would move the scent down the structure and the fishing spot would reload every 30 minutes as the bass would follow the scent.

Another cool thing about this jig head is how far down you punch out the eye on the tube. The farther down from the head the more it glides on the fall.

Also packing peanuts cut and stuffed in the tube gave a heavy tube a slow fall..

Another trick is too pack and small chunk of alka-seltzer in tip of the tube before inserting tube jig. This was killer on deep clear lakes. The bubble trail and the salty smell was too much for big bass 20 plus feet down.

Also a great trick is use a big Canadian nitecrawler slipped on the hook and up into the tube. Leave about 1 inch of the bottom of the hook.

Capt Mike

Last edited by Captmikestarrett; 06-16-15 at 09:01 AM.
Captmikestarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-15, 06:16 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
The image Bassboogieman posted is the HP hook and predator weight.

Did they go and change the names?

In the early spring we would fish tubes with Oldham jig heads both weedless and open hook. Squirt some juice in the tube and fish rip rap and sea walls. The tide would move the scent down the structure and the fishing spot would reload every 30 minutes as the bass would follow the scent.

Another cool thing about this jig head is how far down you punch out the eye on the tube. The farther down from the head the more it glides on the fall.

Also packing peanuts cut and stuffed in the tube gave a heavy tube a slow fall..

Another trick is too pack and small chunk of alka-seltzer in tip of the tube before inserting tube jig. This was killer on deep clear lakes. The bubble trail and the salty smell was too much for big bass 20 plus feet down.

Also a great trick is use a big Canadian nitecrawler slipped on the hook and up into the tube. Leave about 1 inch of the bottom of the hook.

Capt Mike
Thanks for the tips Mike. How pray tell does one get the weed guard on this jig head through the tubes body and onto the hook point? Do you cut a slit in the jigs body to allow it to pass through?
Old 06-17-15, 07:44 PM   #8
keithdog

This is the kind of weight system I usually use when fishing a tube. I think mine are made by Lindy, but same idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XPSInternalTubeWeights_7664.jpg
Views:	1344
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	9108  
Old 06-18-15, 12:51 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
This is the kind of weight system I usually use when fishing a tube. I think mine are made by Lindy, but same idea.

That is pretty cool.

The oldham jig head requires you to bend the wire straight and punch thru side of tube and then tie on. Bend wire back in place. It slows down your rigging time and after a few fish the tube just rips the side out. But it is weedless and if you punch the hole farther away from the head it glides nicely on the fall.

On fast rocky rivers for smallies we would use Mizmo tube and ball jig heads that have less of an angle at the tip of the hook. Like this.

This jig head popped out of the rocks better. I would rig up a dozen before every guided trip and lose about 8 per guided trip for smallies.

Oh the good old days of guiding.

The juice I always loved to inject was this...

Capt Mike
Old 06-18-15, 12:56 PM   #10
Captmikestarrett

Since we are talking about tubes...Don Iveano once produced something called the Tora tube. It was huge tube that was soft and huge..did I mention it was huge..

Caught more 6lb plus bass on the Potomac than any other lure. All prespawn.

Capt Mike
Old 06-18-15, 06:03 PM   #11
keithdog

Wow, the IS huge!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.