Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-10, 03:27 PM   #26
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I just joined and i'm excited.Never tried a chatter bait yet.
Welcome to the nut house Austin. Make yourself at home my friend.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 02:17 PM   #27
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I've been using the Chatterbait for a few years now. I live in northern Indiana, and for me, the Chatterbait has been a great cold water lure. Especially right after ice out. I'll cast it out and let it sink to the bottom and then begin a slow steady retrieve. As the water warms, I'll pick up the speed a little and impart a bit more action by faising and lowering the rod along with a few short jerks. After the water temp reach 60 or so, the chatterbait bite dies down for me while the spinnerbait takes it's place. I've done fairly well with pitching it around cover. Toss it out and let it sink down into an open pocket in a weedbed, or work a weedline much like you would a jig, with a yo yo pull and drop action. As for size, I like a heavier chatterbait. I just find it easier to use and more versatile. I always use a split tail plastic trailor with it.
You could substitute "southern Michigan" for "northern Indiana" and I could have written this post.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 07:22 PM   #28
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
You could substitute "southern Michigan" for "northern Indiana" and I could have written this post.
^5 neighbor
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-10, 09:40 PM   #29
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Never tried one. looks interesting though
Old 08-01-10, 08:46 AM   #30
lilmule

Default oddly

There are days when bass will not hit a spinnerbait ,yet will a chatterbait on Ky lake.
It can be worked over submerged grass with good effect yet its best bite here is either spring or fall with fall working better for me.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 03:54 PM   #31
DaveW731

Default Chatterbait success!

Used a small (3/16oz?)gold chatterbait w/white splittail trailer on river smallies last weekend. Totally outfished a spinnerbait. Caught more fish on a Senko, but the ones that hit the chatterbait SMASHED it!
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 06:12 PM   #32
bassinbob

I've had some good luck using a Lake Fork swimbait with them.
Old 08-12-10, 07:24 PM   #33
lilmule

Ive caught white bass on small ones and largemouth on them so far never a smallmouth.
Old 08-12-10, 08:06 PM   #34
bassboogieman

I was in Canada last week and the chatterbait was the "hot" bait for us this year. 60% of the fish caught came on the chatterbait - largemouth, smallmouth, crappie and worst of all - pike. I lost 8 of them to pike - they either busted the bait or bit it off. But it was the most productive bait for drawing strikes. One thing I do is change the skirts, I don't like the ones on the "original" chatterbait and the one from Booya breaks very easily, so I'm going to start making my own and save a little money.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:01 PM   #35
B@SSM@STER
BassFishin.Com Member

has anyone used a chatterbait in fall and found it affective?
B@SSM@STER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:04 PM   #36
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@SSM@STER View Post
has anyone used a chatterbait in fall and found it affective?
Very much so! In fact fall has been one of the most productive seasons for me to use a chatterbait. Just fish it in situations where fish are feeding on shad, like you would a spinnerbait.
Old 09-30-11, 09:05 PM   #37
B@SSM@STER
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks and also has anyone used bait called storm they are artifial fish that look like real bluegill?
B@SSM@STER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:23 PM   #38
carolina-rig-01

I assume you are talking about the Storm Wild Eye swimbaits. I haven't had much luck with them but I know of several guys who love them.
Old 10-01-11, 02:28 PM   #39
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with keith- a cold water bait, more for murky conditions. Im not a big fan but if it works ill fish it.
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 03:27 PM   #40
lilmule

Fish the gill swimbait near spawners,then hang on,most arnt trying to eat it just kill it therefore many foul hooked.But limited to early cold water or during spawn 64-67f more or less.
The chatterbait is best in the fall often when even no spinnerbait bite can be had they slam it.
Old 10-03-11, 11:34 AM   #41
gonefishin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Welcome to the forum, Austin and q-dot!

q-dot-I see you are also in San Antonio. When I lived in an apartment I'd check lures in the pool. Everybod thought I was nuts except one guy-he was also a bass fisherman and knew exactly what I was doing .

i like the big pools at the hotels if i jump the fence i can sit in the hot tub and test out my rod in the pool at the same time
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 01:14 PM   #42
3dkicker

A few tips for those new to using a Chatterbait

I use a 6'6" All-Star rod designed for spinnerbaits. I use a Med action rod with a fast tip. Getting the right vibration is important.

Skirt color. Most people use a white or white/chart. I use a custom shad skirt. I haven't tried black/blue or craw colors but they catch fish too.

I've caught fish with and without a trailer. I use a trailer all the time now. I use a custom poured swim bait but Bass Assassin makes a good one called a 4" Turbo Shad that comes in different colors. I like the Crystal shad.

Blade size and weight of chatterbait. They come in a bunch of weights with different size blades. The bigger the blade and lighter the jig the more lift and shallower the bait will run. Reverse this and the bait will run deeper. Kaotik Lures makes blades that have holes in them (2, 3, and 4 holes) which allows you to run the baits a little deeper at the same speed. 1/4 and 3/8 oz are typical.

Retrieve speed depends on the fish. I'll vary the speeds and depth until I get a response. Sometimes I'll kill the bait and then start it again and this will draw strikes.

Cover that I like to fish is scattered grass, grass edges, or pads. This is the primary cover I fish with the baits. Next I'll work laydowns. Finally docks.

When the fish hits the chatterbait, for me, they just suck the bait and swim away. Rarely do I get the bass to hammer the bait but it does happen. I've found that when the blade stops I give the bait a quick snap. If it's grass then it comes free and if it's a bass I set the hook a second time after......repeat after.....I pick up the slack!!! I've learned that if I set the hook the same direction the bass is swimming I can lose the fish. I've learned to take my time, figure out the direction the fish is moving, pick up slack, and set the hook away from the direction is moving. If the fish is coming straight to me then I really have to pick up line and pick a direction.....this is when I miss the most for some reason.

I prefer heavy mono but braid works too. If the rod is too stiff then braid can reduce hook ups (IMO). With the right rod braid almost guarantees hook ups and fish in the boat.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-03-11, 01:28 AM   #43
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

I think they work better in stained water. I hate them in clear water.I prefer a 1/4 once with a small blade. Lose the skirt and replace the trailer with a zoom fluke. Killer rig, plenty of days with over 30 lmb.
badbrady06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 06:44 PM   #44
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Chatterbaits are one of the best baits for me during the fall around here. About the only one I use is the 1/4 or 3/8 ounce solid white with a silver blade and a chartreuse split tail trailer. I just use a slow, steady retrieve.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 02:25 AM   #45
Crankbait

The chatterbait has it’s place….awesome action!
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 09:45 AM   #46
VannillaGorilla
BassFishin.Com Member

thats how i used it (just guessed) yesterday after just buying it. i got a 24 inch with it so i guess it works.
VannillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 10:44 AM   #47
joedog

Vannilla, welcome to the forum!
Where you from?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.