Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-06, 12:05 AM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A frustrating (and expensive) day

Hit the lake with Flyrod this AM, and I should have stayed in bed. The wind steady 20-25 (and that is probably a conservative estimate) and I could hardly make a cast without backlashing-2 reels required surgery. Pulling one out of my dropshot rod I got a loop caught in one of the guides. Tried to pull it out and SNAP! Busted a Falcon Coastal Topwater Special to the tune of $100. 4 fish total for the day, 2 keepers between us. Not one of my best days on the water, but you know what? I'm ready to go again!
Old 12-28-06, 12:13 AM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

well,things happen. 4 isnt too bad,better than what i got today! the bite down here is almost non-exsistent,i killed them last year,and have only caught like 30 this winter.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 12:15 AM   #3
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

4s alright! i went today and got one dink... hate these gales huh reb?
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 12:59 AM   #4
Rebbasser

Depends, tb-if I can hold the boat on a wind blown bank and crank it I love it, but the downside is the beating you take. Not to mention the cast that lands behind you on occasion .

Skeeter, you are right-things like that do happen. One day I busted 2 rods-one on a hookset and one with the lid of the rod locker.
Old 12-28-06, 03:32 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01

well don't look at it as breaking a bass rod, think of it as getting a stiff crappie rod! hey i have had a lot of days like that but it's the good days that make the bad one tollerable. and i agree the wind can be misserable at times and a god send at others.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 06:55 AM   #6
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
well don't look at it as breaking a bass rod, think of it as getting a stiff crappie rod!

lmao thats funny right there..true but funny

zooker
Old 12-28-06, 07:05 AM   #7
PowerBass

I managed to get 1 chunk around 3 lbs
Old 12-28-06, 08:57 AM   #8
FlyRod

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
...I'm ready to go again!

Ohhhhhhhhh....chit! (or, for you Germans...Ach! Schidt!)

Ekshully, after some Chizz and Peenert Buttah crackers and a little sobbing, he snapped out of it. Believe me, I know what it's like to fish with a grouch and gripe type, and Reb is NOT one of those.

It WAS a pretty day to be out, but the *%^&$#! wind made life tuff. Then again, we'd had five trips in a row during which wind was not a crippling factor so it was time to ante up and do a gut check. We both know that dues must be paid, and we're tough hombres.

For the data freaks. Reb's fish was the only one caught on dropshot. This was surprising in light of the fact the dropshot did well the previous Friday, accounting for about 40% of our total of 19. This time, my fish came on ZOOM U-tails, either Smirk/BlooFlayk or Waddymellon/Peppah, with the "Canyon Lunker" (all 2.00001 lbs of him/her) caught on the W/P.
We did try, and try hard. We beat the water to a fine froth. Still, there are gonna be those days when...you know.

We're contemplating a trip to Lake Bastrop in the semi-near future. It's a power plant lake, so the winter factor should work in our favor. Fayette Lake (also a power planter) is high on the list too, and might be a better bet...but a longer drive.

Reb and I are of one mind concerning lake selection...If you are going no-matter-what, then choose a lake where there's gonna be at least a small patch of water fishable regardless of wind direction and velocity.
This is what has scotched several intended trips to Choke Canyon, for that 'gator hatchery is surrounded by flat (compared to Canyon) terrain and gets very "Tall" when the breezes blow.

Even after a slow day, catch-wise, it's good to look back and savor the bright moments. We saw blue skies, deer, herons, ospreys, rock squirrels, and other fauna.
When Reb slung me and the boat off the trailer, the engine started perfectly and, once again, the rub rail never touched the dock when I picked him off it and later deposited him thereon. There's something satisfying about that.
All systems on the boat functioned flawlessly...Bonus points! Good maintenance pays off. All credit to Reb.
We greased the boat onto the trailer on the first try, despite the crossbreeze and having to trim way up on final approach due to a hazardous ramp...another win for the team.
Reb hit the sweet spot on the ramp when pulling me and the boat out, so there was minimal slippage and little wasted fuel and rubber...Good Job!
Preparing to launch, we met a nice guy from N.Dakota (a Winter Texan, AKA Snowbird) who was going out solo in a non-bass boat to seek stripers. Reb graciously backed him in and parked his truck for him. I made sure he knew what the major hazards were and gave him our cell numbers, just in case.
(Them folks talk funny, BTW.)

So, add it up. We had time together. We helped a visitor to our state and so made a new friend for Texas. All systems were "GO" and there were no mishaps...well, 'cept for the rod incident and that's still preferable to a boating accident or truck/trailer mishap. We further enhanced our rep as the best (self-annointed) launch-pickup-delivery-recovery team evAr!
The traffic out and in was bearable (not always the case) and both of us got home safely.
Now, where's the bad news in all that? OK, one broken rod. Anyone who fishes a lot knows that most rods are born to die, whether it's due to human error or dying of loneliness in a dark corner of a garage after being demoted from front-line status.
I've broken rods, some on the hookset, and some due to boneheadness.
If YOU haven't, then you've not been fishing enough.

Now for the sad, seedy, and sordid truth...
Reb's mom had made some nice Xmas cookies. You know, the cute little shapes with frosting. Well, night before last, Reb called to say that he was bringing some for my delectation while on the water. Riiiiight!
We met at the usual place and, as we were motoring along, Reb slapped his forehead and said "Dang! I done fergitted them cookies!"
Ever the forgiving type, and knowing he already felt badly about it, I tried to ease his sorrow and embarassment..."Hey, that's OK....You &^$! Aggie ^$%#! My mouf was all set for them cookies!" That seemed to cheer him up. A couple of breakfast tacos soon thereafter (Chorizo, Huevo, and dripping orange *substance that could lube a Merc outboard) and all was forgiven.

See? With us, there's always something good to be grateful for. It can work for yew too!

FR

*Which he got on his cleanest dirty fishing shirt. And he has a pathological hatred of ANYTHING Orange.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:12 AM   #9
JB

fly,
its the oldest trick in the book,
a young upcomming angler "coaxes" a stud into a fishing trip with
moms wholesome goodness, then halfway to the ramp blurts out that
the cookies are in the kitchen...happens all the time rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 11:15 AM   #10
skeeter944

rotfl at jb!
Old 12-28-06, 12:29 PM   #11
Rebbasser

In my defense I DID forgt the cookies, and they are currently on the kitchen counter. UNTOUCHED, which is a very rare occurance indeed. They will remain so until the next time Flyrod and I get together. Well, maybe a couple less... .

I'm beginning to think the bad karma of forgetting the cookies caused the problems I had on the water !
Old 12-28-06, 04:49 PM   #12
flfireman

Never, ever forget the cookies!!!! BAD things happen......
Old 12-28-06, 04:52 PM   #13
JB

i luv cookies, but ask any of my tournie buddies and they'll tell you what I carry 24/7...its CHEESE CRACKERS and Diet coke, then water.....usually end up whizing in the back of a cove, unless its some of the lakes thats surrounded by houses, then its a can rofl..they fine the dogshyt outa here if the dnr spots ya through his glasses.
Old 12-28-06, 05:36 PM   #14
FlyRod

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
fly,
its the oldest trick in the book,
a young upcomming angler "coaxes" a STUD into a fishing trip with
moms wholesome goodness, then halfway to the ramp blurts out that
the cookies are in the kitchen...happens all the time rofl
Uh-Oh! I've been exposed! Have you been talking to a Miss "Plugg" down at the bank? I TOLD her to keep it under her...uh...hat.

FR
AKA Studleigh P. Hungwell, III
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 05:46 PM   #15
Rebbasser

JB, Flyrod always brings the cheese crackers. they keep me going
Old 12-28-06, 07:34 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
rock squirrels...

* his cleanest dirty fishing shirt
if find this hard to belive
reb comes across as a neat nick -sorry hoss..

what the hell is a rock squerl??

zooker
Old 12-28-06, 07:56 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Neat-nick? Not me-sorry to disappoint .

A rock squirrel is an all-black squirrel that spends it's time running around the rocks as opposed to up in trees. Probably not the correct name but it is a good description.
Old 12-28-06, 08:09 PM   #18
JB

reb,
after reading the post and close consideration, I am sure that the combination of hungwell and rocksquirrell would surely look like' dis...
Old 12-28-06, 08:10 PM   #19
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks Reb and Flyrod for the laughs. I really needed them. FYI Reb I didn't laugh at the part where you broke your rod.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:17 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Ohhhhhhhhh....chit! (or, for you Germans...Ach! Schidt!)

Ekshully, after some Chizz and Peenert Buttah crackers and a little sobbing, he snapped out of it. Believe me, I know what it's like to fish with a grouch and gripe type, and Reb is NOT one of those.

It WAS a pretty day to be out, but the *%^&$#! wind made life tuff. Then again, we'd had five trips in a row during which wind was not a crippling factor so it was time to ante up and do a gut check. We both know that dues must be paid, and we're tough hombres.

For the data freaks. Reb's fish was the only one caught on dropshot. This was surprising in light of the fact the dropshot did well the previous Friday, accounting for about 40% of our total of 19. This time, my fish came on ZOOM U-tails, either Smirk/BlooFlayk or Waddymellon/Peppah, with the "Canyon Lunker" (all 2.00001 lbs of him/her) caught on the W/P.
We did try, and try hard. We beat the water to a fine froth. Still, there are gonna be those days when...you know.

We're contemplating a trip to Lake Bastrop in the semi-near future. It's a power plant lake, so the winter factor should work in our favor. Fayette Lake (also a power planter) is high on the list too, and might be a better bet...but a longer drive.

Reb and I are of one mind concerning lake selection...If you are going no-matter-what, then choose a lake where there's gonna be at least a small patch of water fishable regardless of wind direction and velocity.
This is what has scotched several intended trips to Choke Canyon, for that 'gator hatchery is surrounded by flat (compared to Canyon) terrain and gets very "Tall" when the breezes blow.

Even after a slow day, catch-wise, it's good to look back and savor the bright moments. We saw blue skies, deer, herons, ospreys, rock squirrels, and other fauna.
When Reb slung me and the boat off the trailer, the engine started perfectly and, once again, the rub rail never touched the dock when I picked him off it and later deposited him thereon. There's something satisfying about that.
All systems on the boat functioned flawlessly...Bonus points! Good maintenance pays off. All credit to Reb.
We greased the boat onto the trailer on the first try, despite the crossbreeze and having to trim way up on final approach due to a hazardous ramp...another win for the team.
Reb hit the sweet spot on the ramp when pulling me and the boat out, so there was minimal slippage and little wasted fuel and rubber...Good Job!
Preparing to launch, we met a nice guy from N.Dakota (a Winter Texan, AKA Snowbird) who was going out solo in a non-bass boat to seek stripers. Reb graciously backed him in and parked his truck for him. I made sure he knew what the major hazards were and gave him our cell numbers, just in case.
(Them folks talk funny, BTW.)

So, add it up. We had time together. We helped a visitor to our state and so made a new friend for Texas. All systems were "GO" and there were no mishaps...well, 'cept for the rod incident and that's still preferable to a boating accident or truck/trailer mishap. We further enhanced our rep as the best (self-annointed) launch-pickup-delivery-recovery team evAr!
The traffic out and in was bearable (not always the case) and both of us got home safely.
Now, where's the bad news in all that? OK, one broken rod. Anyone who fishes a lot knows that most rods are born to die, whether it's due to human error or dying of loneliness in a dark corner of a garage after being demoted from front-line status.
I've broken rods, some on the hookset, and some due to boneheadness.
If YOU haven't, then you've not been fishing enough.

Now for the sad, seedy, and sordid truth...
Reb's mom had made some nice Xmas cookies. You know, the cute little shapes with frosting. Well, night before last, Reb called to say that he was bringing some for my delectation while on the water. Riiiiight!
We met at the usual place and, as we were motoring along, Reb slapped his forehead and said "Dang! I done fergitted them cookies!"
Ever the forgiving type, and knowing he already felt badly about it, I tried to ease his sorrow and embarassment..."Hey, that's OK....You &^$! Aggie ^$%#! My mouf was all set for them cookies!" That seemed to cheer him up. A couple of breakfast tacos soon thereafter (Chorizo, Huevo, and dripping orange *substance that could lube a Merc outboard) and all was forgiven.

See? With us, there's always something good to be grateful for. It can work for yew too!

FR

*Which he got on his cleanest dirty fishing shirt. And he has a pathological hatred of ANYTHING Orange.
I think he just took WTL's spot as the longest post about nothing LOL.

JB,

rotflmao, that is just hilarious. Looks like the squirrels down here, that toy with the gators rotflmao.

Lizards
Old 12-29-06, 12:00 AM   #21
skeeter944

rotfl! that is one of the longest post i think! so do the gators play back liz? rotfl!
Old 12-29-06, 01:35 AM   #22
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverml34 View Post
Thanks Reb and Flyrod for the laughs. I really needed them. FYI Reb I didn't laugh at the part where you broke your rod.
Appreciate that, weaver, but looking back it really was a comedy of errors on my part-Murphy was alive and well!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.