Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-22-12, 10:55 PM   #1
T7HeadTurner
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Braid

This may have been talked about a few times...... but I was looking and couldnt really find anything on the SunLine FX2, so here we go...
I have used Sufix Performance Braid Lo-Vis Green for awhile love the stuff, does leak and turn white after awhile but dont it all, Now am using Stren Sonic, dont really like it, it cast great, but knots/tangles alot, when pitching/flipping.
I know why not keep with what you like, but what to see what you guys think about the SunLine.....?
They have the Blue/Green and the Dark Green, Im thinking to try the new Blue, but seems blue
If you guy dont use either of the two above please feel free to post what you use!
Thanks
-Tim
Old 03-22-12, 11:18 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Talked with Dean Rojas when he was in town, I understand that he had allot of input into the development of the line. He kept pushing the blue line said it was what he used. Was going to buy a small filler spool until I seen the price, I will continue to use 832.
Old 03-22-12, 11:26 PM   #3
T7HeadTurner

Yea, I saw a video with him talking about it....
Its really the same price, Only thing is you have to buy 300yd
Old 03-23-12, 12:01 AM   #4
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7HeadTurner View Post
This may have been talked about a few times...... but I was looking and couldnt really find anything on the SunLine FX2, so here we go...
I have used Sufix Performance Braid Lo-Vis Green for awhile love the stuff, does leak and turn white after awhile but dont it all, Now am using Stren Sonic, dont really like it, it cast great, but knots/tangles alot, when pitching/flipping.
I know why not keep with what you like, but what to see what you guys think about the SunLine.....?
They have the Blue/Green and the Dark Green, Im thinking to try the new Blue, but seems blue
If you guy dont use either of the two above please feel free to post what you use!
Thanks
-Tim
i use the stren sonic, and have no problems with it. and, if can handle all that falcon can dish out, i would say it will hold up just about anywhere. and, the 40lb. test is what i was throwing at falcon. it is very small diameter, very limp, very slick. just can find anything wrong with it.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 12:25 AM   #5
T7HeadTurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
i use the stren sonic, and have no problems with it. and, if can handle all that falcon can dish out, i would say it will hold up just about anywhere. and, the 40lb. test is what i was throwing at falcon. it is very small diameter, very limp, very slick. just can find anything wrong with it.
Im with the 65lb and it cast like a dream, stong as heck, Over all Great.
just seems to twist, gets a little messy on the spool, when fishing like a manyak..
Old 03-23-12, 07:07 AM   #6
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i like the 832, and of cours good ole Ppro, for a cheaper kind, i picked up some that berkly braid, it is great
Old 03-23-12, 07:41 AM   #7
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
i like the 832, and of cours good ole Ppro, for a cheaper kind, i picked up some that berkly braid, it is great
x2

I tried 20 pound Suffix 832 on a spinning reel last year - I like everything about it except the price (but it's better than FC) ...and I agree there's nothing wrong with good ole Ppro.

I haven't tried or even really looked at SunLine.

I have a new spool of nano-fil, but haven't been out yet this year to see how I like it. My next line will probably be either InvisX or Co-poly P-line.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 08:37 AM   #8
lilmule

Suffix for topwater ,powerpro for everything below 20 and 30 lb and 45 and up for most frogging
Also have some red cajin for frogging,dont use it below however
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 10:56 AM   #9
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The Sufix 832 is great and my go-to braided line now. 10lb for spinning gear, 30-40lb for casting. It's much smoother than the smaller test Performance Braids; after 40lb, they are pretty similar. The slow sinking properties of the 832 are great for certain applications, like dropshotting.

BB
Old 03-27-12, 12:30 PM   #10
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

Before last year, I had used Spiderwire for everything. Then I switched to the Suffix 832 last season, and they really aren't comparable! The Spiderwire would fray out, and lose it's color, but the 832 has stayed very round, and hasn't lost any color so far! I'm really happy with it, and will be my braid of choice from now on...
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 06:52 PM   #11
WallStreetAmigo

How much does the 832 sink compared to Power Pro?
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 08:31 PM   #12
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
How much does the 832 sink compared to Power Pro?
I think you are going to get differing opinions on the sinking qualities of Suffix 832 and how it affects different techniques. I was concerned with 832's sinking quality before giving it a try, however I found the difference to be extremely minimal.

I fish both Zoom-Horny-Toads and Stanley-Ribbit-Frogs with 832 without any problems. Both are top-water lures that sink slowly when stopped. I didn't notice any difference on how they sank when I switched from Spiderwire to Suffix 832. I also have fished a variety of weightless plastics on 832 without any problems including 6" ribbon tail worms, creature baits and flukes.

My only concerns with the sinking attributes of 832 might be fishing a top-water lure with 832 that requires long pauses; lures like a hard-bodied top-water, jerk-bait, Jitterbug, or a Spro-Popping-Frog; even then I doubt the weight of the line would affect the action of the lure - 832 may make it only slightly more difficult to keep the slack out of your line using those lures. For those applications I would use mono.

Any technique where I once used Spider-wire or Power-Pro I now use Suffix 832.

Here is a link to Kevin Scarselli's Line Guide. It's got some good info on line selection related to the technique you are fishing. I have not converted to Flourocarbon yet, so I use 832 for a lot of techniques where Kevin suggests FC.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 11:44 AM   #13
WallStreetAmigo

Thanks IowaBasser. Good info there for sure. I think I'll pick some up and give it a go.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 12:43 PM   #14
BigBassin144

832 is the only braid I've used to sink on it's own. Granted, it is a slow sink, but it definitely does. Power Pro, Sufix PB, Spiderwire Ultracast, etc. generally float or seem to be near neutrally buoyant. A lure's weight will pull them down, but they really won't sink on their own.

See if one of the big box stores near you will give you like 6-12" off a couple different braids from the spools they use to fill customers' reels. I don't know what they'll have if anything. But then test them in the sink/bathtub.

BB
Old 04-04-12, 11:04 PM   #15
slounch_slayer
BassFishin.Com Member

Sunline FX2 is the best braid on the market . . . period. Try it out. I have no idea why this stuff hasn't monopolized the braided line industry yet.
slounch_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 12:01 PM   #16
T7HeadTurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slounch_slayer View Post
Sunline FX2 is the best braid on the market . . . period. Try it out. I have no idea why this stuff hasn't monopolized the braided line industry yet.
Have you messed with the Blue/Green? Is it blue......
Old 04-05-12, 01:24 PM   #17
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slounch_slayer View Post
Why, what specifically makes it better than all the rest?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 01:02 AM   #18
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Everyone that uses braid, do you ALWAYS tie a flouro leader onto it? Or is it ok to use straight braid?
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 02:03 PM   #19
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Lovin View Post
Everyone that uses braid, do you ALWAYS tie a flouro leader onto it? Or is it ok to use straight braid?
Fishing here in NC most of the water has color to it. I use braid 100% of the time. You have to take what bait you're working into consideration. Baits that are moving are going to be harder for the bass to see. Cranking always but working a jig slow I use a leader_
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 09:40 PM   #20
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Fishing here in NC most of the water has color to it. I use braid 100% of the time. You have to take what bait you're working into consideration. Baits that are moving are going to be harder for the bass to see. Cranking always but working a jig slow I use a leader_

You use braid for spinner baits, crank baits, top water, swim baits...everything? And only use a leader when u jig?
Old 04-25-12, 09:59 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Lovin View Post
I've only got a couple reels with braid on them now. One is my frog rod, and it is straight braid 100% of the time. The other is my worm rod. I let water conditions dictate whether I'm going to use a leader or not. We fish water anywhere from 4-6" visibility up to 12-14' visibility. But more often than not, I just use straight braid when I use it. (most of my fishing is with straight fluorocarbon though.)

BB
Old 04-27-12, 10:03 AM   #22
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

I went with fluorocarbon

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.