Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-02-12, 09:43 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Kayakers...

What do you think about this paddle, other than the price?

The rest of you, how about the no tie hooks?

http://www.outdoorspecialtyinnovatio...ll-hooks.html/

The things you run across while researching something else.

Oh and I still know nothing about the effect of the full moon and cloudy skies although I have come to the conclusion that cloudy skies have no affect on the 'new moon fishing' .
Old 09-02-12, 10:43 AM   #2
bassboogieman

Most, if not all, kayak paddles are two-piece. There is a handle that can be inserted into one of the paddle halves to give you a single paddle.

This one happens to be Hobie, and like EVERYTHING Hobie, it's price borders on outrageous. $13.00 for the handle. In a kayak storage space is pretty limited, so a handle insert would be preferrable to me, anyway. And yes, of course, I have one.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 02:38 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

I read it makes a decent ''positioning'' paddle....Ive been looking into something like this,but Ill probably scan CL for a cheap paddle that I can modify and make two with a comfy handle and other clicks and whistles....

With my Kayak being so low to the water it be an considerable option...With Bruce and others that peddle a PA and sitting a little higher and wider ,I would probably opt for the single paddle conversion like Bruce posted than a small handheld..
Old 09-02-12, 10:34 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I dont know, but I never thought a single paddle would be advantageous re fishing. I find the double to do just fine, laid accross the bow. I can also paddle with the double one handed. Then again, you guys know Im a cheapskate.
Old 09-04-12, 12:10 PM   #5
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a solo canoe, and own both a double blade paddle, and a traditional canoe paddle, and the single blade gets used much more. I only use the double blade when going up river or going into lakes. With the single blade I can maneuver and fish with rod in one hand paddle in other. I'm sure I could do it with the double blade if I had to, but the single blade is lighter, drier and easier to use one handed. It makes a huge difference when I need to make a quick adjustment, usually in regards to angle, and still have the rod in my hand in case a bass picks up my lure.
I thought about picking one of these up from Piragis, but you could probably make one for much less, and not too much trouble. Also helps to have as light as possible paddle.
http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com...fm/4,7861.html
Old 09-04-12, 12:23 PM   #6
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfish View Post
I use a solo canoe, and own both a double blade paddle, and a traditional canoe paddle, and the single blade gets used much more. I only use the double blade when going up river or going into lakes. With the single blade I can maneuver and fish with rod in one hand paddle in other. I'm sure I could do it with the double blade if I had to, but the single blade is lighter, drier and easier to use one handed. It makes a huge difference when I need to make a quick adjustment, usually in regards to angle, and still have the rod in my hand in case a bass picks up my lure.
I thought about picking one of these up from Piragis, but you could probably make one for much less, and not too much trouble. Also helps to have as light as possible paddle.
Whoa! that's a DIY project if I ever saw one....
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 12:47 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfish View Post
Not only a DIY project at that price,but why would you want it strapped to your forarm if your fishing?...Seems like it would be a pain to me.

Just a quick thought...Take a look at look at the leverage fishing net
http://kayakfishinggear.com/leveragelandingnet-1.aspx
..An idea for a position paddle would be to make a similar handle out of PVC and a cheapie paddle blade...You could take a 3'' PVC pipe and halve it for the forarm rest.....Make it to your fit with no strap and at half the cost if you find a blade

I should note this is all talking if your fishing (rod in hand) and trying to maintain position...
Old 09-04-12, 01:51 PM   #8
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Thinking about it some more to me any kind of one handed paddle is going to be too small of a surface area to do much good. I can hold my canoe in position ok one handed with my canoe paddle and the blade is 20" long and 8" wide. To me I'd rather do one or two strokes with my large bladed paddle than 15 quick strokes with a small paddle. Plus less strokes is quieter and quicker. And don't have to switch paddles. The first idea is probably best, putting a canoe paddle grip on one of your kayak paddles.
Old 09-13-12, 10:36 AM   #9
WaffleJaw

$10 paddle at academy modified and painted in less than 1.5 hours...The eva handle is maybe $3...I had it for a few years laying around...
Ill take with me this weekend and see if it worth a crap...
If not, It'll hurt a snakes feelings and proves I had 10 bucks at one point...

Old 09-13-12, 10:47 AM   #10
bassboogieman

When I was in High School.............. every teacher had one of those hanging behind their desk. If someone got unruley in class they were taken out in the hall and it was applied with varing degrees of force to one's backside. Don't ask me how I know this. But, I do think it's one thing missing from today's classrooms and should be brought back. It's only my opinion, don't hate me for thinking corporal punnishment for displinary matters is not such a bad thing. I survived............... oops, probably should have left that part out.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-12, 11:03 AM   #11
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
When I was in High School.............. every teacher had one of those hanging behind their desk. If someone got unruley in class they were taken out in the hall and it was applied with varing degrees of force to one's backside. Don't ask me how I know this. But, I do think it's one thing missing from today's classrooms and should be brought back. It's only my opinion, don't hate me for thinking corporal punnishment for displinary matters is not such a bad thing. I survived............... oops, probably should have left that part out.

A smart student would say ''Hang on,let me put this ball gag in first''.....and throw the teacher off

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.