Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-07, 04:51 AM   #1
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Painting Lures

I'm sure it has been asked on here many times how to go about painting your own lures. My question is a little bit different, but I appreciate any advice you can give me.

To make a short story long......

My two older sons (12 and 8) along with my oldest daughter (age 4) are very enthusiastic about all that is fishing. It is probably because they know how much I love it and see it as a way to spend quality time with the "old man". Having said that, we've all been trying to come up with a good winter hobby where we can spend time together (ice fishing aint it...lol). Upon suggestion of my son (who is perplexed that he can't find lures that are a combination of purple, brown and green with just the right amount of yellow spots on them ) we decided that we should each pick an unpainted lure and design whatever patterns, colors, etc to paint on them.

Where would I find unpainted lures and the other supplies that I would need? Also, what type of paints, would be best to use with the kids. I don't know much about painting lures, so if anyone has a good step by step guide for doing this, I would appreciate it.

If this all happens the way we expect it to, I will be sure to post pictures of the lures on here for you guys to see. I can assure you they will be worth seeing and it will be ablast to release the artist in my kids!!
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 08:21 AM   #2
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

Short of wittling down your own hunk of balsa into a crankbait body, I'd suggest Stamina. They have unpainted lures and other components to customize what you're fishing with. Website address below.

http://www.staminainc.com/
Old 12-18-07, 08:33 AM   #3
ESipes_89

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

You can find the blank lures, parts and pieces at www.staminainc.com and the rest at Wal-mart.

I like to use model paints such as testors acrylic paints. You'll want acrylic around the kids. It cleans up with soap and water if you can get to it before it dries.

Things you'll need are:
1. All the colors of the rainbow in gloss acrylic paints
2. A GOOD assortment of brushes.
3. An Exacto Knife
4. High Quality masking tape
5. If you want detail work, you'll want Testor's Mini-Airbrush Kit. It comes with all you'll need to just plug it in and use.

Here is how I'd paint a simple "bluegill" pattern:

Step One: Spray on you base coat and let dry. I use gloss light green mixed with a little grey to give it a more realistic look.
Name:  step 1.jpg
Views: 8070
Size:  5.2 KB

Step Two: Apply a piece of masking tape where you want the pattern.
Name:  step 2.jpg
Views: 7797
Size:  3.6 KB

Step Three: CAREFULLY cut out and remove the desired pattern to create a template. Then spray on your secondary coat. I use gloss forest green.
Name:  step 3.jpg
Views: 7796
Size:  6.5 KB

Step Four: Remove the tape to check your work. If you have overspray, carefully remove with a wet rag or wet paper towel. Then let dry.
Name:  step 4.jpg
Views: 7845
Size:  5.9 KB

Step Five: Repeat step 2-4 to create the gold belly. You can give it a light gloss orange spray to give it some depth. I use gloss yellow with a quick pass of gloss orange.
Name:  step 5.jpg
Views: 7612
Size:  6.5 KB

Step Six: Use a fine tip brush to create the detailed lines, let dry. I use Gloss Navy Blue and Gloss Black.
Name:  step 6.jpg
Views: 7507
Size:  7.6 KB

Step Seven: Apply Hooks and go fish!!!
Name:  step 7.jpg
Views: 7896
Size:  8.2 KB

It could take upwards of 4 hours for one lure if you do it right.

As for the kids, give 'em a bottle of paint and a brush and let 'em go wild. You can help them while yours is setting up for the next coat.

Hope this helps,
-Eric
Old 12-18-07, 08:47 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

www.jannsnetcraft.com

Great site, great store.

BB
Old 12-18-07, 11:49 AM   #5
WallStreetAmigo

Awesome info! Thanks guys.
Old 12-20-07, 12:01 AM   #6
Rebbasser

WSA, there are a couple guys here who custom paint lures-Robzilla comes to mind, and I know I'm forgetting several. He is a good resource.
Old 12-20-07, 12:21 AM   #7
WallStreetAmigo

Thanks Reb, I'll send him a PM.
Old 12-21-07, 03:22 AM   #8
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ESipes is on the money, but I would direct you to Walmarts arts and crafts section for the waterbased acrylic paint. You might be the only guy in that section, but don't let it stop you. These paints are probably going to be cheaper than the testors paints and they work well. Just start by priming the lures with white. I have done with my daughter what you are planning to do. Lure making with children is a lot of fun and it is excellent quality time with the kids.

Just let them paint away. Don't forget to pick up a plastic pallette for each of them so they can keep and choose their paint colors.

Here are some that the kids did:

They were painted with the acrylic paint from walmart that are just under $1. I then coated them with Dev Con 2 Ton epoxy (30 min. do not use the 5 min. version.) When you coat the lures with the epoxy, it will really bring out the colors underneath and add durability to the lure.

These lures were hand shaped by me and painted with the same walmart acrylics. I made them to be auctioned off at my daughter's school. I sure wish I really knew how to paint though. Gotta love those Mustad Triple Girps.

This is my shark bait

My daughter painted it but I had to do the shark teeth. No other baits out there have my trademark shark teeth!
Old 12-21-07, 04:18 AM   #9
WallStreetAmigo

Islandbass......Those are really cool! I especially love the pink/blue/yellow one in the first picture..........totally reminds me of my 4 year old daughters ideal lure!

I may send you a PM to ask you a few questions if that's okay.
Old 12-21-07, 07:21 AM   #10
crankybait

Just a reminder- make sure you coat the lures with epoxy when finished. I use Devcon 2-ton, most people do. Try to avoid the 5-minute epoxy because it ill yellow over time. I haven't done lures in a while, been very busy lately. But if you do get an airbrush setup, I must warn you, it is very addicting. I just ran into dampeoples, a member of this site, on a few airbrushing forums. Man, he has the airbrushing bug bad...
Old 12-21-07, 10:26 AM   #11
BigBassin144

This is starting to sound fun. How do you guys coat the lures with the epoxy? I think I can figure out the paint and stuff

IB, I like the top one in the second picture.

BB
Old 12-21-07, 01:54 PM   #12
islandbass

Thanks! That's my take on the fire tiger pattern. The top is more turquoise than green and I call it the "island tiger" pattern.

Anyway, I am very excited for you to get started. The whole thing is an entire blast with the kids. This is a sure fire way to make memories for a lifetime. Oh yeah. The crankbaits I got from Stamina. They have a decent selection of blank lure bodies.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 12-21-07, 07:32 PM   #13
ROBZILLA

SOME THAT I HAVE PAINTED.
Old 12-22-07, 10:26 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

DAMN!!! ZILLA just found this and really got fired up. Some AWESOME colors. Now I know a little better. Look for the email bud.
Old 12-22-07, 11:25 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Rob, you paint those with an airbrush? They are awesome looking. I'd really like to start painting some of my own baits too. A couple questions though.

How do you apply the epoxy? (brush it on or what?)
Do you guys start with wood bodies or plastic ones?

Thanks,
BB
Old 12-22-07, 03:31 PM   #16
ESipes_89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Rob, you paint those with an airbrush? They are awesome looking. I'd really like to start painting some of my own baits too. A couple questions though.

How do you apply the epoxy? (brush it on or what?)
Do you guys start with wood bodies or plastic ones?

Thanks,
BB
If you have the right airbrush setup you can do just about anything.

1. For god sakes DONT USE EPOXY. I can't remember which company off the top of my head (it might accually be Testors), but they make a clear coat that can be sprayed on (or brushed) to protect your paints. It's similar to what's used on cars to protect the finish. I probably should have mentioned it in my previous post.
2. I started with plastic because first I learned how to paint with plastic model planes and I'm not ashamed to say I'm still buildin' those lil' pocket vacs. I'm workin' on a 1:48 He-111H6 right now. Anyways, second, the testors paints is made to be used on plastics. And, third, they tend to be a bit cheaper and easier to clean up if you overspray or sneeze or somethin'.

-Eric
Old 12-22-07, 07:47 PM   #17
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Dang! Those are sellers ROBZILLA!
Old 12-23-07, 12:20 PM   #18
crankybait

I beg to differ... Epoxy is my clear of choice, as well as plenty of others, but to each his own. If you do plan on using epoxy, brush it on (It is self leveling) and try to keep it rotating for a nice even drip-free coating. Robzilla is a humongous help, he basically guided me through the first few. And I started on wood, but plastic is viable. I figured I'd go wood because I'd have more freedom on shapes, and get to really go crazy with some designs.
Also, if you go with an airbrush, don't cheap out. Get a nice quality, double action airbrush. The Badger Anthem 155 is my brush... I love it. If you don't mind a bit of extra cash, Iwata gravity feds I hear are great, as are Mojos (Rich Pens custom done by Mike Learn). Paint... createx is the most easily found, I use E'tac ordered from online
Old 12-23-07, 12:55 PM   #19
ROBZILLA

I use the best paint cre-a-tex paint. the stuff they use for cars. I use an Iwatta best of the line air brush. And foe the clear coat I use E-tex which I consider the best hard coat on the market. Once you bait gets scratched up you can apply another coat and your good to go again.
Old 12-23-07, 12:59 PM   #20
ROBZILLA

I do wood and plastic, the ones above are plastic. They are just easier to get finished on tight dead lines. The Finnish coat I use a fine bristle hobby brush, and use a BBQ motor wheel to spin the baits over night to get an even coat. and I do it twice to make sure of a hard Finnish. 12 hour dry time is a must.
Old 12-23-07, 01:02 PM   #21
ROBZILLA

like mentioned above DO NOT USE CAR EPOXY IT'S THE WRONG THING TO USE FOR THIS APPLICATION!

You have to use the right tool for the job this enviro tex epoxy is made for out door hobbies, and I have baits over 4 years and are still as good as the first day I did them.
Old 12-23-07, 06:49 PM   #22
pig n jig

I dunno, I just grab a box of store bought brands and go fishing. If I were to paint them, I would want naked women painted on them. Hey, I can't help it, its nearly all I think about. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 08:02 PM   #23
WallStreetAmigo

I'll paint you one PNJ and then we'll see if you can get a reaction bite on them! It makes sense if you think about it, nothing gets a bigger reaction from the females than another naked female too close to her man!!
Old 12-24-07, 11:54 AM   #24
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
I'll paint you one PNJ and then we'll see if you can get a reaction bite on them! It makes sense if you think about it, nothing gets a bigger reaction from the females than another naked female too close to her man!!
You'll get a reaction bite, but it won't be from the fish!

BB
Old 12-24-07, 07:38 PM   #25
ESipes_89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZILLA View Post
I use the best paint cre-a-tex paint. the stuff they use for cars. I use an Iwatta best of the line air brush. And foe the clear coat I use E-tex which I consider the best hard coat on the market. Once you bait gets scratched up you can apply another coat and your good to go again.
Man Rob, You must sure like spendin' money. That kind of stuff can get expensive real quick, especially around kids. I use testors cause it's easy to find and a lot cheaper.

For the kids, I'm not sure if the clear coat or epoxy would be cheaper (or easier). I've used both and I think if this is going to be a hobby for you and the kids, I don't see why you would want to spend too much money. The epoxy costs less but, it can be a pain if you mess up and have to sand it off and start over. I've never heard of E-tex, I'd like to know more about it if you could spare a minute Rob.

-Eric

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.