Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-10, 12:58 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default How to do a Diamond Wrap.(for Bubba)

I made this tutorial to help understand how Chevron and Diamond wraps (Open wraps) are done.

PICTURE 1- You start with a straight underwrap...I think this was about 8'' or so,wrap it fairly tight,and burnish it good.

PICTURE 2 - I tape a piece of thread on the seat and make a straight line across the underwrap and tape it off in front of the underwrap..(Notice how I use the line on the seat to line up my thread).This is to create a straight line to line up my wrapping....Using the shine on the underwrap created by the lamp helps greatly too!!

PICTURE 3 - Using a small ruler and pencil I measure the distant between each wrap making small dots on the underwrap (the thread will cover these up)....I did 1'' on these....Usually I do 3/4'' if I want them tighter.

PICUTRE 4- Once your marks are made (I did 5 marks) I wrap a tiny piece of saram wrap,then masking tape on top of that...This is to keep tackiness and gunk of your underwrap and also to make cutting off the tag ends easier.....I now start my first wrap.

PICTURE 5 -I spiral up the underwrap using my marks to go over with the thread....Once you get up near the top,come around the underwrap and come back down over the marks,creating the ''x'' effect. ...I do all this by hand,no jig...and I use a medium like tension...not too tight.

PICTURE 6 - Once back to the bottom...wrap around the masking a few times for tension- YOU DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU COME BACK DOWN!!! ALWAYS WRAP AROUND A FEW TIMES TO HOLD TENSION BEFORE GOING BACK UP!!....Then add a pull loop,wrap around that a few times,cut the thread and pull it through to lock it....So thats how the frist wrap will look in the picture...CROOKED RIGHT???

PICTURE-7-The reason we stop the first wrap with a pull loop is so we can go back with our burnishing tool,and straighten out our ''x''s on the top and bottom...The marks are there to help you,they may not be perfect,but looking down the rod,you'll find where they need to be in relation to your marks...Always check the top and bottom,and sides to make sure they're evenly spaced and straight.

PICTURE 8- Once you get it good and straight...We start our second wrap,so start a new wrap on the masking tape and spiral it ON TOP of the first wrap...All the way up on top,and back around on top...Once back at the bottom,remember to wrap it around a few a time for tension (at least 4-5 times)

PICTURE 9 -Using the same thread,we go back up,but this time ON BOTTOM of the first wrap...All the way up on bottom,and back down on bottom...make sense?...This is what separates the Diamond wrap from the Chevron..A Diamond wrap is alternating top and bottom!!....The Chevron is all on top!!!

PICTURE 10- So here the progression...The first is the three I just did,then I added one more on top and one more on bottom....5 wraps total.
Then I did a pull through loop,and ended the silver thread...Then added the blue and did two alternating wraps of that..One on top,one on bottom,one on top,one on bottom...You with me??
Make sure you pack the thread as you go,I like to pack them after I end a thread or three complete wraps..They pack easily...I use either my thumbnail or my burnishing tool and pack the wraps towards the original starter thread..So basically,pack your top threads down and your bottom threads up till thier nice and solid....This is where you really start to see the Diamond come through.

PICTURE 11- More progressions pics between the silver and blue thread..So my pattern went 5 silver wraps to start,2 blue,1 silver,2 blue,1 silver,2 blue,1 silver....ending with the silver and also ending my Diamond Wrap=)

PICTURE-12- For fun=) I added a single silver wrap in between the diamonds...I just eyeballed it and used my burnishing tool the straighten it up...very easy little add on to dress up your wrap!!...Just a quick up and down!!

PICTURE 13-THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE I FORGOT A PICTURE OOPS!...Once your ready to tie off...You go back to your jig...Pick a place in front of your masking tape to start it....I do a tight trim band about 3/16'' in width then wrap a tiny piece of masking tape over it (that's what you see in the picture!!! I just put the tape over my trim band,the blue arrow is pointing to the main thread line going to my jig)...That new masking tape will hold the trim band in place,the trim band is gonna hold the diamonds in place so we can cut all the excess thread off..You can see I already started to cut them.

PICTURE 14- Notice in this picture how I winded my trim band (main line) out of the way!!! Take your time cutting the thread,I only cut whats on the masking tape..Just be sure not to cut through the tape...Once you get the thread cut and untangled, trim your tag ends down...I like to leave about a 1/4'' left and cut them at angles..remove your masking tape that you were wrapping on.

PICTURE 15 -Once you get all the tag ends trimmed...You tighten your main thread line up on the jig,and remove the masking tape and conitinue wrapping till you cover it all up....Take your time and pack them as you go to completely cover the cut tag ends..Once covered you can add your little thread inlays if you want.

PICTURE 16- Its time for a whiskey and coke!!!....haha....One thing you'll notice I did,I had one diamond at the top that was a little off...So I did a tie off there too like we did in pics 13-15,and cut some of it off,and covered it up...To make it look clean

These are really simple once you get a few done....I hope this makes sense...I will edit these steps to further explain when I get a chance and answer any questions.

Also,I dont apply any color preserver till Im completely done...When I apply CP,I brush it on then basically wipe off all the excess with my fingers..Its these wraps absorb too too much CP...They can start to sag.....But I do at least two coats of it that way.

W

More to come.....W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	1550
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	4981   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	1454
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	4982   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	1459
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	4983   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	1611
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	4984   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	1353
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	4985  

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	1457
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	4986   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	1525
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	4987   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	1440
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	4988   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	1416
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	4989   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	1686
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	4990  

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	2563
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	4991   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	1410
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	4992   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.JPG
Views:	1700
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	4993   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.JPG
Views:	1659
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	4994   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.JPG
Views:	1735
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	4995  

Name:	16.JPG
Views:	1705
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	4996  

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 04-12-10 at 04:59 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 04:09 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Thanks Waffle! I appreciate it. I got a dowel slicked out the other day to practice some of the different wraps and try different tiger colors.
Old 04-12-10, 08:04 PM   #3
Cavs1123

wow that rod looks great waffle!
Old 04-12-10, 08:38 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sweet waffle! Looks great!

Making a spinning rod?
Old 04-13-10, 08:37 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Making a spinning rod?
Nope, that's a new Special Casting rod!

BB

By the way waffle, that looks great man! I'd try it, but I'd mess it up, even with the great tutorial, lol.
Old 04-13-10, 11:52 AM   #6
WaffleJaw

Thanks guy...hahaha,special spinning rod for sure

Its actually a 5'6 ultra lite spinning rod Im doing...In PICTURE 2 ,in the Revo box,you can see the leg of the blue Pflueger President ultra lite reel Im matching the thread to...The rod blank is also blue..Should be a really nice set up!
Ill post it once its completed.

And that Revo box...belongs to my new 2010 SX
Old 04-13-10, 05:11 PM   #7
bamabassman

beautiful work waffle. Think this will keep ol bubba busy when he is "over there"? I hope so.
Old 04-13-10, 05:33 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
beautiful work waffle. Think this will keep ol bubba busy when he is "over there"? I hope so.

Thanks Bama,Yea hopefully this will keep his mind off the tobacco that he's smuggling in his shoes!
Old 04-13-10, 05:39 PM   #9
bamabassman

Or where ever he is hiding it huh? LMAO!
Old 04-14-10, 12:23 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Thanks Bama,Yea hopefully this will keep his mind off the tobacco that he's smuggling in his shoes!

Shhhhhhh daggummit!!!
Old 04-23-10, 12:50 PM   #11
Raymond Adams
BassFishin.Com Member

Good work on the tutorial Walker! Nice pictorial progression.

The only thing I would add or mention is I don't recommend under-wraps for beginners as it's much easier to move & pack threads around on a slick surface than on top of thread. If one does do an under-wrap first I recommend putting a coat of finish on it and letting it set up good & hard before continuing with the cross-wrap on top.

Also, to determine the correct distance between centers (crosses), to get a square 90* angle one must place your starting marks a distance equal to the blank circumference at the center of the wrap length. Just wrap a piece of masking tape around the blank and note where the ends meet. Pull it off and measure the tape. That will be your spacing between centers.
Raymond Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 02:49 PM   #12
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Adams View Post
Good work on the tutorial Walker! Nice pictorial progression.

The only thing I would add or mention is I don't recommend under-wraps for beginners as it's much easier to move & pack threads around on a slick surface than on top of thread. If one does do an under-wrap first I recommend putting a coat of finish on it and letting it set up good & hard before continuing with the cross-wrap on top.

Also, to determine the correct distance between centers (crosses), to get a square 90* angle one must place your starting marks a distance equal to the blank circumference at the center of the wrap length. Just wrap a piece of masking tape around the blank and note where the ends meet. Pull it off and measure the tape. That will be your spacing between centers.
Haha,Hey Raymond.Thanks!
All very good points...I never thought to measure the circumfrence of the blank...I was going for a more ''stretched'' look on this one.Thats why I choose 1'' But I'll definitely try that next time I want a good ,straight axis(you know Im always trying to get better)
Old 04-23-10, 04:07 PM   #13
Raymond Adams
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah Waker,

On open wraps a lot of guys just eye-ball it and precise measurements are generally not required but when teaching or creating tutorials on the web it's better to provide the specifics (if known). Keeps the reader from aggravations sometimes & the writer's butt outta hot water! LOL
Raymond Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.