Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-02-12, 05:35 PM   #1
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 2012 Carbonlite

Hey guys, had a chance to check out the new Johnny Morris Carbonlite reel today. They got a lot of things right with this reel, but the braking system is different and left me concerned for how well it will operate.

The reel uses a dual braking system with both centrifugal and magnetic brakes that are externally adjustable. The dial on the outside is used to adjust the magnetic braking and the inner ring is used to control the centrifugal brakes.

The first thing I noticed about the adjustments was that the mag brake dial was a little stiff and hard to adjust. The centrifugal brake adjustment felt clunky and cheap.

The magnetic brakes work similar to most externally adjustable brakes, moving the magnets closer to spool for more braking. The centrifugal brakes were designed different than I have seen. The centrifugal brakes are adjusted by moving a stepped brake drum in and out for the brake pins to ride on. The farther the brake drum moves in the tighter the circumference of the brake drum.

It gets worse, the centrifugal brakes make use of a six pin brake system, that has no adjustment. They are all set on, and I may have missed it, but they did not appear to be able to be turned off, so all pins are deployed in all settings.

I only had a few minutes to check this reel out and and do an out of the box review, I will do a much more in depth review of the reel once I have the opportunity to take the reel apart and investigate it's workings a lot closer.
Old 02-02-12, 06:11 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Interesting Tav. Might wanna call BPS if you can't figure out how to turn each one on and off if they even do... Because you're right, it seemed weird that they would make it so that they're all on, or all off.

I'd guess the mag. dial will break in with some time though!
Old 02-02-12, 07:20 PM   #3
keithdog

I'm curious to see what you find out. I'm still a bit peeved they did away with the Carbon Black reel.
Old 02-02-12, 09:44 PM   #4
eaglestrike09
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Tav, those are the exact brakes I have on my Browning Midas reel.
The six centrifical pins are made that one pair throw out longer and one pair throws out medium and one pair throws out short, so on the highest setting all pins contact the brake drum but on the lightest setting only the long throw pins make contact. The brakes work good when new, but too much oil or corrosion on the drum slowws it down. I have pulled the top disk off and removed the short and med throw pins, the brakes work great, now I can zink that 1/2 oz lippless way out there!!!!!
eaglestrike09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 10:08 PM   #5
Tavery5

Thanks for clearing that up, like I said didn't have much time to play with the reel. Not sure why they decided to change up the braking, seemed like the PQ and Carbonlite both had a good brake system before.
Old 02-02-12, 10:59 PM   #6
rrw4258

I bought one of them last week, and I was VERY disappointed with the reel. I had the 6.4:1 ratio. I could not get over how cheaply the reel engaged and re-engaged. The reel was rough out of the box, and after a tear-down and relube it was not much better. The reel did throw good, but it sounded like a Quantum with the ACSII brakes. I tore it down, and alot of the parts inside were different than the PQ, PQT, and Carbonlites. It seemed to me that the reel was poorly thought out. I would rather thrown one of the cheap bionic reels than the new JM Carbonlite.

I returned it today, and when I got to work (Jann's Netcraft) bought a Lew's Tournament Pro. Feels and throws much better.

Ryan
Old 02-02-12, 11:26 PM   #7
keithdog

I'm hoping BPS puts on a clearance sale of the JM Carbon Blacks. I don't really need any reels but I really like those.
Old 02-20-12, 09:21 PM   #8
BamaCoastie
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'm hoping BPS puts on a clearance sale of the JM Carbon Blacks. I don't really need any reels but I really like those.
The Carbon Black goes on sale March 3 for $69!!!! Had one for 2 months now, gonna buy a few more on the 3rd!!!
BamaCoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 09:59 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCoastie View Post
The Carbon Black goes on sale March 3 for $69!!!! Had one for 2 months now, gonna buy a few more on the 3rd!!!
The ad I saw that lists the JM Carbon Black for $69.97 says it's for SATURDAY MARCH 3 ONLY, and it's an in-store special with a limit of 3, but maybe I'm looking at something different than you are???
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 10:13 PM   #10
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

so are these crap... i was planning on getting one this weekend
Old 02-20-12, 11:29 PM   #11
Tavery5

I don't think the reel is crap at all, they made some great strides in the weight reduction of the reel. I am not sold on the braking system, but others have reported that it works well.

I have had the chance to cast one, and it cast very well, it was in my opinion a noisy caster and you could hear the centrifugal brakes riding on the brake drum throughout the cast.

Check with Pro Reel for more details about the reel, I know he was able to take one apart and can give you details about more of the internals of the reel.

For the price you could get one for during the Classic sale, it seems like a good enough deal. Myself I would probably choose the older gold Carbonlite over this one.
Old 02-21-12, 09:00 AM   #12
pro reel

I looked at all the internal parts. They looked to be good parts. I didn't see anything that seemed cheap or poorly designed. However, the parts are no longer the same parts as the PQ and older carbonlite. Those parts were interchangeable with revo's and that meant you could always get parts and even upgrade some parts. I wish they had stuck with that design.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 09:22 AM   #13
wallywallace

so part are not availible, hey Pro reel, IYO would you get the 100.oo speel spool lewes or a morris carbonlite.. may get a PQ aswell
Old 02-21-12, 09:41 AM   #14
pro reel

I didn't say that parts are not available. As long as the reel is in production, parts will be available. It's after that when it may be hard to get parts and if they have them, it may be used parts off donor reels. The PQ and the old carbonlite however can get any parts form reveo reels
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 10:50 AM   #15
wallywallace

oh.. i got confused when you said no longer the same, sorry
Old 02-21-12, 03:35 PM   #16
BamaCoastie
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
The ad I saw that lists the JM Carbon Black for $69.97 says it's for SATURDAY MARCH 3 ONLY, and it's an in-store special with a limit of 3, but maybe I'm looking at something different than you are???
That's right, March 3 only. I didn't know there was a limit per customer. Doesn't make sense for them to put a limit if they're trying to clear out their inventory, but that's okay. I'm getting 2 more on the 3rd.
BamaCoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 04:09 PM   #17
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
For the price you could get one for during the Classic sale, it seems like a good enough deal. Myself I would probably choose the older gold Carbonlite over this one.
I was looking at the gold carbonlite last weekend - it appears that reel only comes with the handle on the left. Also, that reel was on sale last week for $90, and now it's back to $120.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 06:19 PM   #18
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCoastie View Post
That's right, March 3 only. I didn't know there was a limit per customer. Doesn't make sense for them to put a limit if they're trying to clear out their inventory, but that's okay. I'm getting 2 more on the 3rd.
Here is the link to the "daily specials" ad I looked at for the Altoona, IA location, which I think is the closest one to me (3 hours away). It says LIMIT 3 in tiny red print at the bottom of the ad for that reel. I'm assuming the reason for the limit per customer is so someone doesn't go in and buy a ton of them solely for the purpose of re-selling them on e-bay or wherever.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 10:13 PM   #19
wallywallace

so you go and buy 3 and your wife does.. when other stores have sell like that gf in one line and I in the next.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.