Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-21-08, 07:23 PM   #1
ky southern

Default texas rigged worms

my favorite way to fish and with spring around the corner and the possibility i might learn something new,i thought we might tell what was our favorite worm,color and length.

im a berkley power worm user,last year i mainly stayed with the 7 inch motor oil worm,rigged on a 3/0 or 4/0 gammy hook with a 1/4 ounce worm weight.
Old 12-21-08, 07:34 PM   #2
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My weighted worming is done with the same setup that I use for pitching a wt'd creature bait. A 7'0" M fast action rod coupled with a Daiwa TDA 150A baitcaster reel spooled with 30 lb Sufix Braid and a 3 ft 12 lb test mono leader. I mostly use a 3/8 bullet wt unpegged, but in and around weeds I do peg the weight. For working the weighted plastic along a weed edge I prefer to use a 4 inch Ugly otter. But when I'm pitching to cover I switch off to a 7 inch Berkley Power Worm in either Green Pumpkin, June Bug, or Red Shad. My 2nd choice is a 6 inch Zoom Trick worm Tex-posed if I'm working isolated cover.
Old 12-21-08, 07:36 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if we are talking strickly plastic worms and not creature baits ect. then my favorite would be a power worm. i mainly use 7" but in the heat of summer i throw a lot of 10". black is my favorite color but i have a lot of different colors that i use and like a lot.
Old 12-21-08, 08:12 PM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I also use a berkley 7" power worm in motoroil.I also use a Yamamoto cut tail worms in smoke color or #214 color.

I primarily fish them on spinning gear.A 6,6 medium Quantum tour edition HSX54 rod with a Browning citori reel and 8 lb P-Line CXX Xtra strong in moss green.

I also use a GLoomis IMX 843 C /shimano metanium Xt and 10lb Izorline.

The spinning gear allows the worm to fall straight down through the water colum when fish are holding tighter to structure. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 08:26 PM   #5
zooker

i use alot of 8-10" worms texas rigged i use them as a dead dropper near vertical struture. put it in der let her fall all the way down..

i texas rig alot of critter baits from bush hawgs to hua grubs.. the hula grub was on fire for me last year..

i carolina rig the same worms..

zooker
Old 12-22-08, 09:08 AM   #6
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

4" senko or magic stick rigged with either a 1/0 EWG tex-pos or a #2 circle hook wacky.

No weight.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 12:50 PM   #7
BassAddict

Depends on if I'm fishing a river or a lake. For the river it's a 4" Blue Fleck Power Worm or 6" Red Shad Culprit. For lakes I'll use a little larger worm. Mostly Green Pumpkin.
Old 12-22-08, 01:40 PM   #8
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love my Senko's. If I want a tail, I use a Gulp Turtleback.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 02:38 PM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

If they make'm i own them. I depise the jig but love the worm.
Old 12-22-08, 04:42 PM   #10
dazzfishing
BassFishin.Com Member

A zoom u-tale, texas rigged, with a 1/8oz weight.
dazzfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 07:03 PM   #11
Jim80

5 inch yum dingers in junebug , 7 inch power worms in most colors and I like the power bait shakey head worms a lot as well , although I find myself t-rigging them rather than fishing them on a jig head .

Jim
Old 12-23-08, 08:17 PM   #12
abu4600

zoom ole monster, red shad and junebug rigged on a 3/0 gammy with a 1/16 or 1/8 unpegged weight and 15lb. big game green line.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 11:39 PM   #13
Tennessee

Default My set up

Color if I had only one choice BLACK

Hook 4/0

Weight 3/16

Size 10"

hook weight and size will change as conditions change example

Spring 4/0 , 1/4 once 10"
Summer HOT 4/0 to 5/0 , 1/2 or bigger 12" worm maybe even longer
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 02:36 PM   #14
Jigger

10" June Bug Berkley Power Worm.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 12:27 PM   #15
BassinBandit

I like use Berkley power bait 7". I have used Motoroil and a black and blue one (dont remember the color "name". The one I had the most luck with was a Dicks Shaw Grigsby series in Marti Gras normally using a 4/0 gammy.
Old 12-29-08, 08:06 PM   #16
Basscrazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky southern View Post
my favorite way to fish and with spring around the corner and the possibility i might learn something new,i thought we might tell what was our favorite worm,color and length.

im a berkley power worm user,last year i mainly stayed with the 7 inch motor oil worm,rigged on a 3/0 or 4/0 gammy hook with a 1/4 ounce worm weight.
Thats how i rig..Colors most productive for me are watermelon/flake pumpkin/red flake and blue/flake stick worms amd wm in a 7 to 9 inch.I use alot of zoom with added scent by me.If it looks good i use it.I also dip the tail in red garlic alot.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 08:08 PM   #17
Basscrazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
If they make'm i own them. I depise the jig but love the worm.
Glad someone else thinks the same of jigs..
Old 12-29-08, 08:48 PM   #18
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscrazie View Post
Glad someone else thinks the same of jigs..
Why do you despise jigs? Is it because it fishes so differently then most other bottom baits? And usually the bite is mushy compared to a plastic lure. Learning how to fish a jig will cost you time, effort, and a lot of missed fish. But once you get the hang of it, and start to build confidence in fishing them, just watch how many bigger fish you will start to catch.
Old 12-29-08, 08:50 PM   #19
dodgeguy

i have to agree with joel on that one.i'm not a jig lover either but when the jig bite is on there is no way to catch bigger fish.
Old 12-29-08, 08:52 PM   #20
JB

I'm only guessing but I'd imagine guys that are fishing ponds that are choked out with vegetation only have the jig come back with a afro of moss and slime on it, where as the worm works wonders.
Jigs on big bodys of water are my choice , worms in small ponds and reservoirs.......

oh and zooker, that doesnt mean I wont throw a tequilla sunrise down at
Ky Lake here in a few months LOL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 09:13 PM   #21
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
i have to agree with joel on that one.i'm not a jig lover either but when the jig bite is on there is no way to catch bigger fish.
John, I'm not the greatest jig fisherman. Marty, Ronnie, and Chris S all put me to shame fishing a jig. I tend to use them in situations where a tex-rigged creature bait or worm would be over powered by the cover. My #1 place to pitch a jig is into those nasty laydowns.

Last edited by Joel; 12-30-08 at 10:40 AM.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 08:29 AM   #22
Basscrazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Why do you despise jigs? Is it because it fishes so differently then most other bottom baits? And usually the bite is mushy compared to a plastic lure. Learning how to fish a jig will cost you time, effort, and a lot of missed fish. But once you get the hang of it, and start to build confidence in fishing them, just watch how many bigger fish you will start to catch.
Joel you are right..I make myself use a jig some now and i guess i just haven't built in confidencein the jig..The first big fish should change my mind,i am not good at all in december and am working on that.I have lots of jigs and trailers just fill like i'm wasting time when useing them.
Fishing guys like yourself asking me this ? is what makes me throw some now..Thanks
Old 12-30-08, 10:00 AM   #23
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I don't know about basscrazie. But i know how to fish the jig. But you said it yourself. The softplastic is mushy. When the fish picks up the bait it feels like somthing real. The jig does'nt. The jigs job is to look like a crayfish. Well there are many soft plastics that do the same. They also look more real than the jig. Plus that bait can be presented in the same manor. Plus i have the versatility to rig back to a worm in a matter of seconds on the t-rigg. If it works use it guy's. But for me this is why i use soft plastic
Old 12-30-08, 10:47 AM   #24
BassAddict

You guys who don't like jigs need to practice with them a lot. You don't know what your missing! I would feel hamstrung if I didn't have a jig tied on!!! My #1 favorite bait period! Especially for big fish!
Old 12-30-08, 10:52 AM   #25
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
I don't know about basscrazie. But i know how to fish the jig. But you said it yourself. The softplastic is mushy. When the fish picks up the bait it feels like somthing real. The jig does'nt. The jigs job is to look like a crayfish. Well there are many soft plastics that do the same. They also look more real than the jig. Plus that bait can be presented in the same manor. Plus i have the versatility to rig back to a worm in a matter of seconds on the t-rigg. If it works use it guy's. But for me this is why i use soft plastic
A jig is supposed to look like a crawfish. I guess it works because jig fisherman catch plenty of fish on the NYC reservoirs all year long. Switching between a jig and a wt'd tex-posed plastic creature bait/worm/plastic isn't a concern for me as I have a dedicated setup for each. I also have a dedicated finesse plastic setup for 4 inch tubes and Hula Grubs, so all bases are covered.

I'm not primarily jig fisherman, but I use them when I know that fishing a plastic lure wouldn't be the best way to go about it.

And you're right about the bite. The biggest difference is that a jig is rock hard. The Bass takes it in and spits it right out. That's why you need to keep in contact with your jig. For me the bite 95% of the time is mushy, or barely noticeably. I usually feel the fish as I hop or drag the jig. And I do use Kevin's suggestion of a test pop when it hits the bottom. Caught many Bass that way. I've also had some really big LM swallow my jig on the way up which is one of the weirdest feelings you can get. It's nearly impossible to set the hook since the Bass was swiming up. Needless to say I've missed the vast majority of them. Even a few have broken the surface as I was reeling in my jig.

So for me I prefer a wt'd plastic over a jig for working a lure slowly along a weed bed, but a jig along a rock wall as it's easier to hope over things. In holes it's either, but in laydowns it's always a jig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.