Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-30-11, 08:51 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Battery Question

I bought an everstart marine battery today. It was fully charged. I hooked it up properly to my trolling motor and the nothing. I hook the trolling motor back up to the starter battery and it runs. I get back home and hook my jonboat trolling motor up to the everstart and it runs. Both batteries are 12v. I am confused as to why the trolling motor won't run on the everstart.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 09:21 PM   #2
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

mmm, that makes no sense. try again.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 09:23 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Two choices:

Either you're hooking it up wrong, or the battery isn't fully charged.

Do you have a voltmeter?
Old 03-30-11, 09:48 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

I am 99% sure the wires were hooked up the same as the starting battery. I am as dumbfounded as you guys. I'll have to try again tomorrow.
Old 03-30-11, 10:06 PM   #5
Donutman
BassFishin.Com Member

It is the boat monkey. He is not appeased. He requires mooooore!
Donutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 01:32 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutman View Post
It is the boat monkey. He is not appeased. He requires mooooore!
LOL I think you are on to something.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 02:30 AM   #7
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

hmm very interesting. aside from just a wire being loose or the trolling motor not being completely plugged in (if you have a plug in). Did you make sure to pull the plastic caps off the new battery. i wouldnt even mention it if i had seen someone do it before. also if there are any corrosion on your connections make sure to clean all of it off. good luck hope you get it figured out!
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 09:53 AM   #8
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triglet View Post
hmm very interesting. aside from just a wire being loose or the trolling motor not being completely plugged in (if you have a plug in). Did you make sure to pull the plastic caps off the new battery. i wouldnt even mention it if i had seen someone do it before. also if there are any corrosion on your connections make sure to clean all of it off. good luck hope you get it figured out!
i was gonna say that but didnt want to piss him off...lol
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 01:11 PM   #9
Fishnngolfn

No one is going to "piss" me off with their suggestions so don't worry about offending me. This is my first boat ever and I am thrilled beyond measure. That being said, I know I am going to make some bone-headed mistakes. I just can't for the life of me figure this one out. Everything was "plugged in" and working fine off of the starting battery. I moved the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative when switching to the trolling motor battery. This is what I am 99% sure of. It is that 1% that is gonna make this a boneheaded mistake. If it isn't then I have no clue because the new battery ran the other trolling motor just fine.
Old 03-31-11, 01:58 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Measure the voltage with a volt meter, or try something else that uses 12V with both batteries. That should definitely help find the problem.
Old 03-31-11, 02:26 PM   #11
MississippiBoy

What's weird is that even if you somehow managed to put the positive cable on the negative post and vice versa, the motor would still run, it would just go backwards. I'd test the new battery with a volt meter, like NoFear suggested, and clean all the connections, like triglet said. I'm leaning towards bad battery, unless the wire(s) is(are) broken inside the insulation, but are somehow touching to make the connection, and pulling them to the other battery somehow miraclously breaks that circuit. That's really grasping at straws, but it could happen.
My manager told me a story about how one customer kept bringing their car back to the dealership because it would randomly shut off while driving. After many many visits, a couple of months, all kinds of diagnostic tests, and 4-5 mechanics looking at it, they found that the problem only happened in left turns while hitting the gas. The problem was that the plastic around one of the main electrical connections to the engine was brittle and had cracked, and wasn't holding like it was supposed to. When making a left turn and accelerating, the engine torqued over juuuuust enough to break that connection. The engine would quit, so it would return to its original position, and all the connections would look fine.
Maybe maybe maybe maybe something similar is happening with you.
Old 03-31-11, 04:44 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Measure the voltage with a volt meter, or try something else that uses 12V with both batteries. That should definitely help find the problem.
I don't have a volt meter but I did hook up my jonboat trolling motor to the new battery when I got home. It worked. That is why I think this is very strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippiboy
What's weird is that even if you somehow managed to put the positive cable on the negative post and vice versa, the motor would still run, it would just go backwards.
Seriously?!?! Somehow that just doesn't sound right.
Old 03-31-11, 05:28 PM   #13
bamabassman

have oyu got a friend at a repair shop somewhere? i bet they have a voltage regulator and can check out the battery for you bud.
Old 04-01-11, 03:02 PM   #14
Fishnngolfn

Well, I hooked up my trolling motor and fishfinder to my new trolling motor battery and it worked this time. A friend of mine made a comment that he thinks I could have a bad wire in the setup. The way the wire was moved when I switched the batteries may have "broken" the connection. This seems probable since the trolling motor and setup is about 10 years old (the boat is 20). I am going to rewire everything after this summer to have a more permanent (and accessible) system. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys. I am still looking forward to my first fish on the "new" boat.
Old 04-01-11, 04:17 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
A friend of mine made a comment that he thinks I could have a bad wire in the setup. The way the wire was moved when I switched the batteries may have "broken" the connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
...unless the wire(s) is(are) broken inside the insulation, but are somehow touching to make the connection, and pulling them to the other battery somehow miraclously breaks that circuit.
*Cough cough*
Old 04-01-11, 05:10 PM   #16
nofearengineer

No worries, Fishngolfn...you haven't even come close to my electrical boat troubles, and I'm a licensed EE for God's sake.

As I've always said...the biggest problem with electrons is...they're invisible.
Old 04-01-11, 05:13 PM   #17
bamabassman

f&g, this is my problem as well. OLD wiring. i am trying to so mine 1 wire at a time. har dot do too. lol.
Old 04-01-11, 06:49 PM   #18
nobass

dose the systemyou are having trouble with have a inline fuse. maybe thats all thats wrong. i remember my older trolling motor did. check that and ohm the wires that will tell you if you have a bad or broken wire.
Old 04-02-11, 10:29 PM   #19
Fishnngolfn

No inline fuse. And it is old wiring. I went fishing today and caught two LM. After the first one, the trolling motor quit. After about 5 minutes of wiggling the wires and such, it began working again. I was gonna replace the wiring any way when I get a new fish/depth finder next week. Thanks for the help guys (you too MississippiBoy).
Old 04-03-11, 07:51 AM   #20
bamabassman

good to hear you got a couple f&g. wish i oculd replace all my wiring. too expensive right now.

just a thought, you think oyu can make it to the get together at wheeler in may? we would love to meet oyu pal.
Old 04-03-11, 08:57 AM   #21
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
good to hear you got a couple f&g. wish i oculd replace all my wiring. too expensive right now.

just a thought, you think oyu can make it to the get together at wheeler in may? we would love to meet oyu pal.
Right now, I am 50/50. I am scheduled to have my son that weekend. I will make it if I can switch weekends with my ex. I would take my son if he was a couple years older but he is still just a bit too young for a full weekend of camping/fishing.

I'll know more about switching when it it gets closer to the end of April.
Old 04-03-11, 09:13 PM   #22
bamabassman

sounds great pal. jsut hope oyu can make it man.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.