Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-23-05, 12:49 AM   #1
GeeBeeJim

Default The Barometer  !

Do you use the barometer ?

Which works best for you - High, Low, Rising, Falling, Steady, WHAT ? ???

Does it really make a difference ? :

DJ
Old 01-23-05, 01:13 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: The Barometer Â*!

I've found that a falling/low barometer is better. Most high pressure conditions are after a cold front with blue bird skies and north winds which are tough to catch anything in.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 03:17 AM   #3
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Ditto. the barometer can be your best friend if you know how to use it.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 03:31 AM   #4
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Bass & The Barometer

You can ignore the effect air pressure has on bass and go on pretending it doesn't matter. And You'll go on being wrong!

What Makes Weather: "Weather" is caused by uneven heating of the earth's surface. Warm air is lighter than cold air, so it rises. Rising air would create a vacuum, but nature won't permit that, so surrounding air rushes in to fill the void that rising air is trying to create. The result is "wind". Also, its the warm air, rising air in one area, and the cold, descending air in a different area that creates differences in air pressure, i.e. barometric pressure, and at any given spot in the world this pressure is constantly changing. We humans seem a bit out of tune with barometric pressure changes, as they don't seem to affect us as much, at least outwardly. Do these pressure changes affect other land animals? Probably so. Some of this we can maybe document, but a lot of this is still open to further study. Most anglers agree that fish react considerably to changes in air pressure. Why? To understand the answer to that question, we should think of the "air" above as pushing down on a lake or river because of the air's weight. We now know that the weight of that air is constantly changing through air pressure changes. One key to why fish are so affected by air pressure changes is that when air pushes on the water there's no place for it to go, or at least there's very little water compression. Further, when air compresses down against a body of water, the pressure in the water itself is more (water pressure) than the difference than the air pressure has experienced because air will compress so much more. The "standard" for barometric pressure is 29.92 inches of mercury at sea level. This means "standard" air pressure will hold up 29.92 inches of mercury (if it's inverted just so). If air pressure increases, i.e. there's more weight on it, the pressure goes up, maybe to 29.99, 30.13, something like that. If air pressure goes down, there's less weight pressing down on it, so the numbers might read 29.85, 29.79, something like that. The thing to remember is that while you might imagine these fluctuation to be small (maybe because we can't feel them), fish like bass do feel these changes, perhaps dramatically because the air above is pressing down on the water where they live and the changes in the water pressure are much more dramatic than in the air.

How Pressure Affect Bass: Sorry for that lengthy explanation, but maybe this is the first time you've been able to better understand what barometric pressure is, as well as why fish are maybe more affected by these changes in their watery environment. One of the reasons bass are so challenging is that they seem more influenced by environmental changes like barometric pressure. These atmospheric pressure changes affect shallow water bass more than they do the deeper dwellers. It is thought that fish are able to monitor pressure changes via their swim bladder. We can assume that when barometric pressure goes up (higher), bass feel increased pressure on their swim bladder. The swim bladder might even compress. Does this make them feel lethargic, uncomfortable, less inclined to feed? Might high pressure even affect their equilibrium or sense of balance? Probably so on all counts, or at least that's what many people are theorizing at this moment. Recall how a bass reacts when it is kept out of the water longer than it normally take to release it? They turn on their side when you turn them loose. One plausible reason this might occur is that by being out of the watery environment for a while, their swim bladder expands considerably, fouling up their equilibrium. It probably takes a bass quite a long time to recover from this. Same deal with a marked air pressure change (up or down) which in turn affects the pressure in the water.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 03:32 AM   #5
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

How To Check Your Local Pressure: What about the barometers you keep in your house? Are they worth owning? These probably have marginal value unless you monitor them almost constantly. Why? Because, unless you looked, you don't know what the pressure was an hour ago, or eight hours ago, or yesterday. These instruments will, however, tell you when there are extreme swings in pressure, i.e. very low or very high pressure, both of which are relatively uncommon, and neither of which tends to last very long. It's probably a better idea to monitor the Weather Channel or your local weather for barometric pressure readings.

Predicting Bass Reactions to Barometer Changes: Can fish, especially bass, predict weather changes as well as, maybe even better than, the National Weather Service? Maybe so, and if they can, a lot of what fish can predict might be associated with their swim bladders. One rule to go by is, concentrate on fishing shallow water during air pressure drops, deeper water during air pressure rises. Air pressure changes impact on the fishing more in the fall, winter and early to mid spring. This might be because fronts that pass during this time of year tend to come from the north and northwest, while late spring, summer and early fall frontal systems often come from the south and southwest. The colder weather fronts that come from the north and northwest involve more drastic barometric pressure changes, while the warmer weather fronts associated with coming from the south and southwest involve relatively mild pressure changes. While you forward to the day's fishing when it's as clear as the proverbial bell, not a cloud in the sky, you're not likely to encounter great fishing because the barometric pressure readings are probably very high. That reasoning is a lot more plausible than guessing that it's too bright and the bass have no eyelids, and this is the reason for them being off the "bite". But we all fish in these conditions. There is something we can do about it though. Bass are going to head for the thickest of cover they can find, and you'll have to do plenty in the positive sense to encourage them to bite. So select slow moving baits and slow down your retrieves. Make your presentations soft and easy. Worms, grubs, the jig n pig will probably be among your best lure choices.

The Best and Worst Conditions: Bass bite fairly well when the barometer is from, say, 29.98 to 30.02. However, from mid-spring to early autumn you may have your best catches, when barometric pressure has dropped from the 29.98 to 30.02 range, and dropped dramatically in a relatively short time. It's the drop of .10 to .15 in pressure (and especially a fast drop) that triggers two things: (1) the bass go on a relatively brief rampage, and (2) it's an approaching weather front that causes the air pressure drop. Of course, it can be hazardous to fish once the front gets too close, what with the probability of high winds and lightning. So a second game plan might be to fish a couple of days after a significant front has passed through, once air pressure has stabilized. And a third game plan would be to go fishing when the air pressure has been relatively steady for several days. The worst times to go fishing, in terms of barometric pressure, are when the pressures are below 29.90 or above 30.15. It is thought that bass tend to recover more quickly from air pressure changes in warm water than they do in cold, as much as three of four days in cold water, despite barometric pressures otherwise seeming to be fine. In conclusion, many environmental factors affect fish behavior, like PH, water clarity, water temperature, water fluctuation, just to mention a few. But changes in barometric pressure are critical, and understanding them will help you concentrate your best bass fishing efforts even more.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 03:38 AM   #6
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

since I have already posted a piece I wrote on this subject, I let someone else have this one.

thanks Zilla.

Charles
Old 01-23-05, 06:26 AM   #7
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

ah the whole barometer question. Well, I will disagree I guess with the majority here. I do believe that barometric pressure has a small effect on fish, but not that much. I have caught fish like crazy in too many different situations to believe that the barometric pressure really effects them that much. I do believe that it pushes them tighter to cover than usual, and also that lure presentation is a number one priority, but I also believe that different fish act differently to different situations. Just like some humans like cold, some like it hot, and some like it in between. No matter what the conditions, fish have to eat to live, and they eat when they can. They don't have the ability to run to wal mart or burger king. I think the main thing an angler can do in high pressure situations is make multiple casts to specific targets, seek out secondary structure, like deeper points, grassbeds, or humps that are very near shallow water. High pressure may put a lot of the bass in a non-feeding type of mood, but they will bite, if you do it right.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 09:30 AM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

If you waited until the barometer said it was the right time to fish, would you get very much fishing done ? I fish every chance I get to ,like the old postal saying through sunshine,rain, sleet & snow , We'll be there. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 10:46 AM   #9
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

P & J,
What about "dark of night?" You ain't going to let the postal wusies beat you, are you?

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 11:25 AM   #10
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

by useing the barometer, it can give you a pretty good idea about what kind of mood the fish will be in before you get to the water. Of course you can't wait for perfect days, but you can have a heads up about what to expect when you do go out. Less haveing to try and figure it out. If it is high, you pretty much know you are gonna have to fish slow. Low, they will pretty much be more aggressive.

It is a tool, just like our electronics or your tackle. It is just one more piece in the bass fishing puzzle.

jmho,

Charles
Old 01-23-05, 11:29 AM   #11
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

A cold front just plowed through here last night, we've got high skies and a nirth wind. If I were out fishing, I'd be flipping and pitching heavy cover, hyacints, hydrilla, etc.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 07:35 PM   #12
bennersj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bennersj

Great article Rob I feel like a meterologist after reading that article

Thanks Rob
bennersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 07:35 PM   #13
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

JackL, I ain't scared of no dark of th' night. ;D I haven't fished at night since the red cross tournament ,but aim to again this summer. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 12:16 AM   #14
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

Hey thanks I didn't start this subject but i learned a-lot from it.
Q's?? baro changes happen fast like before a suden summer thunder storm.. would that be key time to start looking for the them in differnt depths?

we get alot of these sudden thunderstorms sometimes every day in the summer they can put white caps on the lake. sometimes you can set your watch to them. seems like to me fishing gets a little better just before the storm starts puting a ripple on the water and stops when the caps start. after the storm is done, fish on whats up? are they just accesable easier becouse of dept changes or are they geting fired up.
is this worth puting a barometer on the boat
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.