Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-11-05, 11:34 PM   #1
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo
Default Winter Bass.

went today again

Fishing was better, used plastic lizard and black yellow tailed worm. ALMOST caught a good sized bass, even saw him following my worm in the water.

But, the problem is, is the bass follow the lure, and barely nibble it. They are very picky...

What should I do, anyone have any ideas? What technique should I use to finally hook one? I dont know when to set the hook or when to let it sit there, because the bass are not agressive biters this time of the year.

thanks for any help,

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 11:51 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Winter Bass.

You have their attention,which is a great sign. Since they are following it but not hitting it you could try several different things-try a different color, a different type soft plastic or downsize the same bait. Give them something with a different look.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 01:11 AM   #3
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

to set the hook, if they are lite biters, chances are they will either only make the line jump when they inhale it, or you will just feel a "sensation". You know, something just feels different. That is really all I know to say. Tough conditions.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 04:25 AM   #4
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

well, it sounds like you have gotten their attention anyway. That should tell you a lot of things. It should tell you that you are fishing in the right area, and that they are half way interested in feeding. Yes downsizing your soft plastic, or slowing it down might produce a few more determined strikes, but how about changing your bait completely. Fish will eat a soft plastic in the winter, but I have found that soft plastics lose their effectiveness as the water temp falls. Now, this is not always true, of course nothing is with bass fishing, but it does seem to be more acurate than not. Don't limit yourself to a plastic worm year round. There are so many other baits that will catch fish at different times of the year. Experiement with different baits and retrieves. Good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 08:19 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Add scent to it, and just let it sit for a few seconds on the bottom. Then give it some twitches.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 04:49 PM   #6

Also like he said nothing in fishing is true but always at least try what they say it worked for me...

thanks Lizards

Fishinininin101
Old 01-17-05, 05:33 PM   #7
United_Bass_._Com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to United_Bass_._Com

If they follow the bait in to where you can see the fish, try packing a pistol and shootin them went they get close. ;D Or you could downsize or slow down your presentation.
United_Bass_._Com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 04:57 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Fishinininin101 link=board=news;num=1105497277;start=0#5 date=01/17/05 at 14:49:09]Also like he said nothing in fishing is true but always at least try what they say it worked for me...

thanks Lizards

Fishinininin101[/quote]

You're welcome ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 11:52 PM   #9
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=trigr link=board=news;num=1105497277;start=0#6 date=01/17/05 at 15:33:40]If they follow the bait in to where you can see the fish, try packing a pistol and shootin them went they get close. ;D [/quote]

not exactly what I call SPORT fishing

seaphantom
Old 01-19-05, 11:16 AM   #10

During the colder months look for clearer, shallow water from 4 to 10 feet with large flat rocks. Fish (usually the bigger ones) will lay on these rocks in the afternoon on sunny days because the rocks absorb the heat from the sun. Try running a rat'l-trap over the tops of the rocks at a slow to medium retrieve. You will probably end up losing some lures this way but when you get a bite, count on it being a big one because the smaller fish usually won't use this method of heat. ENJOY!!!
Old 01-21-05, 12:33 AM   #11
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the tip, but the place I fish at doesn't have clear water or flat rocks. :-/

seaphantom

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.