Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-23-04, 02:16 AM   #1
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Spinnerbait blades

Guys, been doing a little customizing on some spinnerbaits, and just got to wondering-What kinds of blades do y'all prefer-hammered or smooth?

I really don't have a preference except in clear water and sunny conditions I seen to have better luck with hammered blades.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 05:43 AM   #2
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Re: Spinnerbait blades

I've never really thought about it. I just grab one out of the box. I think I used the same spinnerbait all year last year. Just retied the knot, and put a new skirt and trailer on it a couple of times.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 08:54 AM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I really don't have much preference either, I'm with Cajun, grab one and throw it I'm awful envious of you though :-/, if you got that much time on your hands ;D Along the same lines, I know a lot of folks who modify baits. I understand why they do it, not sure HOW they do all of them. But do you folks think that we do it out of a passion for a better BAIT or for more opportunities to be with our FISHING TACKLE ;D, I know most will THINK IT'S FOR A Better bait, but be honest.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 10:45 AM   #4
bassman602
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassman602

I have 2 that I use more than anything. The colorado, which is smooth and the Diamond by Strike King which gives unbelievable flash.
bassman602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 05:07 PM   #5
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Actually Lizards,

I normally "modify" my bait right after I get home from the store.
Modification is not a prerequisite on all baits , I.E. high dollar baits (Lucky Craft etc..)
For starters, I change hooks on alot of my crankbaits, put red hooks on some baits,change round line tie to an oval one, change skirts as necc. etc...
The things that "I" have confidence in.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 07:06 PM   #6
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15

Don't they offer some of the same spinnerbaits with the different blades, or is that the reason for changing them. What are the different conditions for the different blades. Do multiple blades really produce more then single blades.
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 07:30 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Trav, one of the problems is most spinnerbaits do not come with different color blades. Â*For example, have you ever seen one made by some of the major manufacturers with copper blades? Â*I can't think of one. Â*Silver, gold, chartreuse, even red, but not copper. Â*Ever rarer is a gold/copper tandem, with a gold Colorado blade in front of a copper willow leaf blade. So, I customize them by changing the blades. I'm not anywhere near where Zooker is, but I do modify them a bit.

Different conditions for different blades? Â*A long time ago I heard "Silver in the sun, copper in the clouds" regarding spinnerbait blades, and in my experience there is some truth to that. Â*I will also use different size blades depending on where I am fishing-if I am going deep smaller blades don't have as much lift and are easier to keep down in the water column.

Multiple blades will usually out-produce a single blade except in two situations: Â*night and muddy water. Â*In low visibility conditions the single blade puts out more vibration that a tandem or double willow setup and is easier for the fish to find using it's lateral line. Â*I use multiple blades when I want flash, but switch to a single blade for night or muddy water fishing.
Old 11-23-04, 08:06 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

normally i go with a smooth blade in clear water. and hammered in stained. ever fish a copper over copper reb?

lizards
the lakes i fish are heavily pounded by anglers the reason i use a "modified " bait is quite simple. i am looking for a bait that looks totally differant than what every tom ,dick ,and joe bob ;D are throwing. i am willing to bet in a couple of these lakes a 4 pound bass has seen every color shad rap ever made. you are the one who likes to think out side the box. there are known color producing plastic baits on every lake.be it june bug,or red shad,or what ever.the trick is to find the color that.#1 catches fish and #2 almost no one ever uses on said body of water.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 08:32 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
ever fish a copper over copper reb?
Yep-not too often, but in dingy water and cloudy conditions it is a great combo.
Old 11-23-04, 09:03 PM   #10
John_Cullum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to John_Cullum

I prefer hammered, Caught most of my fish on that kind in Solorado Blade form.
John_Cullum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 09:03 PM   #11
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

What is the difference in a colorado blade, and a willow leaf. And besides cloudy or clear conditions, how and where would you use them.
Old 11-23-04, 09:26 PM   #12
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Trav-Colorado:

Willow

The willow has more flash and less vibration, making it good for clear water where the Colorado has more vibration and less flash. I use double willow in real clear water, and Colorado/willow tandem in stained water, and a single Colorado in muddy water.
Old 11-23-04, 09:50 PM   #13
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1101186996;start=0#11 date=11/23/04 at 19:26:31]Trav-Colorado:

Willow

The willow has more flash and less vibration, making it good for clear water where the Colorado has more vibration and less flash. Â*I use double willow in real clear water, and Colorado/willow tandem in stained water, and a single Colorado in muddy water.[/quote]
Reb, I don't know if it's the angle or what, but that Colorado almost looks more like an Indiana. This is the Colorado I got from BPS:

mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 09:54 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Marty, seeing them together I think you might be right. Thanks!
Old 11-23-04, 10:08 PM   #15
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

So you would use the colorado for use of the vibration to attract the fish. So the flash of the willow leaf, will attract the fish. What about skirt colors, and sizes. Are they just preferences or is there a pattern to those choices as well.
Old 11-23-04, 10:32 PM   #16
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
So you would use the colorado for use of the vibration to attract the fish. So the flash of the willow leaf, will attract the fish.
Correct-with clear water you want flash, muddy water you want vibration.

Colors-they run the gamut, but I mainly use shad colors, white, chartreuse, and blue. This is also an area where "matching the hatch" can be a benefit. If I see a shad and am using a willowleaf blade I try to get a blade approximately the same size as the shad.
Old 11-23-04, 11:43 PM   #17
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

If you see a shad, use willow, so if you see little bream, use colorado? And how is chartruse a shad color? I haven't figured that one out!!
Old 11-24-04, 01:29 AM   #18
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

I think I may have confused you a bit. Â*What I mean is say you catch a bass on something and when you get it in the fish spits up a shad. Â*When that happens to me and I am throwing a spinnerbait I try to use a blade approx. the same size as the shad, but it is not necessary. Â*If the bass are feeding on bream I go with a firetiger or bream/bluegill colored bait and don't worry about the size of the blade. Â*The only time I use a single Colorado blade is in muddy water, and then the blade size really doesn't matter. Matter of fact in real muddy water the bigger the blade the better IMO.

Chartreuse really isn't a shad color, but if you take a look at a shad out of the water oftentimes it will have a little chartreuse color to it, and a bluegill will have some chartreuse and even fluorescent blue in it. Â*One other thing about chartreuse-if the visibility is low-not really muddy water but close-chartreuse shows up better. Â*That's why chartreuse crankbaits work so well.
Old 11-24-04, 09:41 PM   #19
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

There are a load of articles which give advice on how to choose spinnerbait colors. This article claims to broadly summarize Kevin VanDam's choices:

http://www.egyptian.net/~angling/page15.html
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.