Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-10-11, 09:06 PM   #76
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow, been since June that we talked about these reels. The local GM got these in the store last week here in Wichita. I was bored one night so I decided I would head up to the store and check one out first hand. First I want to say that I am a big Revo fan, and I fish the Abu line of reels more than anything else.

There were two things that initially stood out about the reel, appearance and weight. These reels look very nice, and I have never held a reel any lighter than the MGX. After my initial look over, I started playing with all the settings and features of the reel, the drag star and spool tension knob both click, which one almost expects these days in upper end reels. I opened the side plate and took the spool out, just as one would expect light, small and nicely detailed. The braking system is what I really wanted to see, as I figured with all the hype it was a very complex system, I could not have been more wrong, very simple system with plastic looking components, not saying they are plastic, just that they look it. For the overall feel of the reel, I would say it has a profile very similar to the new Lews reels, and the smoothness of the Revo Premier.

The reel while nice, never at anytime felt like a $350 dollar reel to me. While it was very light and look great, it just did not have anything about it that made it worth almost another $100 over the Premier.

Anyone else got to hold one yet?
Old 11-10-11, 09:52 PM   #77
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Wow, been since June that we talked about these reels. The local GM got these in the store last week here in Wichita. I was bored one night so I decided I would head up to the store and check one out first hand. First I want to say that I am a big Revo fan, and I fish the Abu line of reels more than anything else.

There were two things that initially stood out about the reel, appearance and weight. These reels look very nice, and I have never held a reel any lighter than the MGX. After my initial look over, I started playing with all the settings and features of the reel, the drag star and spool tension knob both click, which one almost expects these days in upper end reels. I opened the side plate and took the spool out, just as one would expect light, small and nicely detailed. The braking system is what I really wanted to see, as I figured with all the hype it was a very complex system, I could not have been more wrong, very simple system with plastic looking components, not saying they are plastic, just that they look it. For the overall feel of the reel, I would say it has a profile very similar to the new Lews reels, and the smoothness of the Revo Premier.

The reel while nice, never at anytime felt like a $350 dollar reel to me. While it was very light and look great, it just did not have anything about it that made it worth almost another $100 over the Premier.

Anyone else got to hold one yet?
Thanks for the run down tav, never got a chance to fiddle with one, but maybe if I go to gander anytime, I'll take a look!
Old 11-11-11, 09:07 AM   #78
rrw4258

I got to look at one at a tackle shop a couple hours away... it was a very nice reel, but like you said, not for $350... if I can find one cheaper I will def. try it, no doubt.

Ryan
Old 11-11-11, 10:59 AM   #79
nofearengineer

I still can't believe AG doesn't offer this in a lefty (in America...the Japanese have one already).

Regardless, I probably couldn't buy one anyway without Anthony giving me a rash over what I said about the Steez.
Old 11-11-11, 05:18 PM   #80
bassinbob

Save your hard earned fishing money and buy a Chronarch 50mg off e-bay or one of the many fishing sites.
Old 11-11-11, 09:53 PM   #81
rob463mx
BassFishin.Com Member

The quantum Exo looks like a good option as well
rob463mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 12:03 AM   #82
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I still can't believe AG doesn't offer this in a lefty (in America...the Japanese have one already).

Regardless, I probably couldn't buy one anyway without Anthony giving me a rash over what I said about the Steez.
Absolutely. You'd get a lot of sh!t for buying a magnesium reel, although I believe that Patriarch spinning reel of yours is... tsk, tsk...

Back on topic, I almost bought a lefty off eBay, but have decided my next big purchase probably won't be fishing stuff, but a new camera lens... curse my expensive hobbies!

BB
Old 11-19-11, 06:55 PM   #83
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Yep it would be a little hypocritical of me now to go and buy the MGX after all the things I said about magnesium reels... although I could just buy it and not comment on it... hmmmm
Old 11-19-11, 07:53 PM   #84
Tavery5

Quote:

Check this out...

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/v...hp?f=7&t=36730
Old 11-19-11, 09:55 PM   #85
nofearengineer

Yeah, Tav...ebay is awash in lefty Japanese MGX's. But I just know I would get a defective one, and overseas returns are a bltch.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.