Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-05-11, 10:51 AM   #1
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Revo MGX

New Revo gonna be released around Oct time frame, looks like it is designed to be a finesse type reel.

http://www.abugarcia.com/products/re.../revo/revo-mgx
Old 06-05-11, 11:05 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-05-11, 11:11 AM   #3
Tavery5

Looks like it will be at the next level as far as price, rumor is it will be about 350
Old 06-05-11, 11:27 AM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Looks like it will be at the next level as far as price, rumor is it will be about 350
Yup, that's what I've heard as well. Something to compete with steez/core, but still having enough power for what every you like (other than obviously deep cranks).
Old 06-05-11, 11:28 AM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I like the looks of it. Time to hear about some water test. Is it just me, or has Abu vamped their line up to look JDMish the past couple of years with the accents they are putting on their stuff? But I guess most of the companies have too. Hopefully the integrity will match the aesthetics. I don't mean to sound puss, but they have some good looking rods and reels.
Old 06-05-11, 11:33 AM   #6
Tavery5

I don't know, seems like they would be giving up a lot in power with those gear ratios, 7.1:1 and 7.9:1. I have not seen or heard anything about a new rod. While I like the Vendetta and Veritas, it would be nice to see them produce a new rod at the next level.
Old 06-05-11, 12:11 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Tab,

they said that the ratios act like the lower ratios on their other reels; i.e the 7.1 retrieves the same inches as the 6.4 and the 7.9 retrieves the same as the 7.1

This is one reason I really don't like the ratio being used as a marketing thing. Ratio means nothing, because it doesn't include handle throw length and spool diameter. It is all inches of retrieve per turn.

I'm a Revo fan, but I really wish they'd start advertising in a more thoughtful way.

Oh, and that there are no lefty models is a joke too.
Old 06-05-11, 12:40 PM   #8
WTL

I've been saying for years they needed a smaller revo. Just wish they werent trying to break the bank with them. I'd like to see one in a few months, perhaps I will be able to throw smaller lures than I can right now.

I really do doubt Ike's whole theory of less weight=more casts. At least to any significant extent. People used to cast all day with 12 oz reels. 5.4 oz vs 7 oz isn't likely to make that big of difference in wear and tear on someone's hands.
Old 06-05-11, 01:02 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

A little off target and hate for the hijack Taco. But that is one thing I don't like about TW and some of the other reel dealers. Every reel I see I have to surf around and find the IPT for the reel. Ratio really doesn't mean squat to me. I judge everything off the IPT. I mean, I could get more accomplished in a day and quit dragging my computer down with all open windows hahahahaha.
Old 06-05-11, 01:12 PM   #10
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Tab,

they said that the ratios act like the lower ratios on their other reels; i.e the 7.1 retrieves the same inches as the 6.4 and the 7.9 retrieves the same as the 7.1

This is one reason I really don't like the ratio being used as a marketing thing. Ratio means nothing, because it doesn't include handle throw length and spool diameter. It is all inches of retrieve per turn.

I'm a Revo fan, but I really wish they'd start advertising in a more thoughtful way.

I quess what I was refering to in that the reel will lack in power or torque compared to other revo reels that have comparable IPT, but lower gear ratio.

They do produce this reel in a LH version, at least I have seen pictures of a L/H version.

Last edited by Tavery5; 06-05-11 at 01:22 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 01:26 PM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
A little off target and hate for the hijack Taco. But that is one thing I don't like about TW and some of the other reel dealers. Every reel I see I have to surf around and find the IPT for the reel. Ratio really doesn't mean squat to me. I judge everything off the IPT. I mean, I could get more accomplished in a day and quit dragging my computer down with all open windows hahahahaha.

I agree for the most part, the only way that gear ratio means much to me is in exactly this case. This reel has the same IPT of earlier revos that had lower gear ratios. This tells me that it will have less torque or power to move larger bladed or deeper running type baits while still only retrieving the same IPT. Probably had to do the different gear ratio because of the new smaller form factor.
Old 06-05-11, 01:29 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I've been saying for years they needed a smaller revo. Just wish they werent trying to break the bank with them. I'd like to see one in a few months, perhaps I will be able to throw smaller lures than I can right now.

I really do doubt Ike's whole theory of less weight=more casts. At least to any significant extent. People used to cast all day with 12 oz reels. 5.4 oz vs 7 oz isn't likely to make that big of difference in wear and tear on someone's hands.
I agree, it is also unlikely to make 5000 casts with this small of a reel, thinking it to be more for finesse apps. So the weight advantage is somewhat a non factor at that point.
Old 06-05-11, 02:08 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Tav, I'm trying to make that point. Forget gear ratio. Completely. It is absolutely meaningless on its own.

The only two things that matter are inches per turn and handle throw length.

If you double the spool diameter, and cut the gear ratio in half, the inches per turn remain the same, as does the torque.

If another reel has comparable IPT and a lower gear ratio, then it MUST have a larger spool. There will be no change in torque.

The only thing that exists independent of this is throw length, which gives you more torque.
Old 06-05-11, 02:23 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The MGX reel looks absolutely SICK! Anyone know if it's going USDM?

The 7.9:1 gear ratio is a lot of hype, IMO. There's isn't a very big increase in IPT over the 7.1:1 Revos, Daiwa's 7.3, and Quantum's 7.3.

There are; however, rumors of an Abu Villain rod. If they are true, the rod will fit in right above the Verdict in their line up, and hopefully match this reel.

BB
Old 06-05-11, 02:29 PM   #15
BigBassin144

It looks like we are getting the MGX (correct me if I'm wrong on that though).

Now I doubt we'll be getting the LTX. Basically the MGX with a finesse spool that looks a lot like swiss cheese.

BB
Old 06-05-11, 02:52 PM   #16
Jrob78

I would definitely be interested in a Revo with a smaller frame or at least a different profile. That's my main dislike about the whole line and why I only own 1. That MGX is a sweet looking reel.
Old 06-05-11, 05:26 PM   #17
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I might have to buy a dozen of those handles for my other revos.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 07:02 PM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Tab,

Ya beat me to the punch Bryce. I also noticed the right handed reel dexterity as well. No lefty? Come on guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The MGX reel looks absolutely SICK! Anyone know if it's going USDM?

The 7.9:1 gear ratio is a lot of hype, IMO. There's isn't a very big increase in IPT over the 7.1:1 Revos, Daiwa's 7.3, and Quantum's 7.3.

There are; however, rumors of an Abu Villain rod. If they are true, the rod will fit in right above the Verdict in their line up, and hopefully match this reel.

BB
We must be getting info from the same source BiggB!

I've heard the rumors too, I heard theirs a possibility of an all carbon construction!
Old 06-05-11, 10:08 PM   #19
Tavery5

Quote:
Tav, I'm trying to make that point. Forget gear ratio. Completely. It is absolutely meaningless on its own.

The only two things that matter are inches per turn and handle throw length.

If you double the spool diameter, and cut the gear ratio in half, the inches per turn remain the same, as does the torque.

If another reel has comparable IPT and a lower gear ratio, then it MUST have a larger spool. There will be no change in torque.

The only thing that exists independent of this is throw length, which gives you more torque.

Bryce, not to beat a dead horse but here is what I know about gear ratios. I will use easy numbers for the sake of discussion. If you have an input shaft with a 71 tooth gear, your main gear in the case of fishing reels, and an output gear of 10 teeth, your pinion gear in this example, you increase your speed by 7.1 times but you also diminish your torque by 7.1 times. Now if you apply the same logic to a gear ratio of 79 and 10 your speed increases 7.9 times but you also diminish torque by 7.9 times. A longer handle increases the leverage you can apply to the gear, but does nothing to effect the working torque. The one piece of the puzzle that I am unsure about is the size of the spool, obviously if they are both bringing in the same amount of line and one is a 7.9:1 and the other is a 7.1:1 the one with the 7.9:1 has to have a smaller spool. Just not sure if it has any effect on the working torque, or if it only makes it a little more difficult to turn the handle.
Old 06-05-11, 10:44 PM   #20
nofearengineer

You're getting there, Tav. The "working torque", as you call it is what makes it hard to turn the handle. A change in "true" gear ratio must come with a change in torque.

But you have to look further to find the source of the torque. A spool with no line on it won't produce a torque. When you're retrieving, the line pulls at the rim of the spool, essentially creating a gear of that diameter.

If you know anything about cars, use this analogy. You can't tell anything about how the car should accelerate just by knowing the ratio of the rear end gear. You also have to know the diameter of the rear tires.

In the case of the MGX, there is probably another reason too. They probably made the spool a smaller diameter to reduce weight, and then had to raise the gear ratio. Just a theory...we'll know more at some point.
Old 06-07-11, 09:57 PM   #21
BigBassin144

First place I've seen to have pre-order for the MGX. But c'mon Abu... No lefty for the US?

http://www.thehookuptackle.com/produ...asting%20Reels

BB
Old 06-07-11, 10:04 PM   #22
bamabassman

this is a LEARNING thread bryce and tavery, please continue.
Old 06-07-11, 11:04 PM   #23
Tavery5

Ok Bryce, done some more thinking on this, and if I understand where you are going with this, you are baisically comparing the spool of the reel to the tire size on a car. When you know the gear ratio and tire size your can figure drive ratio.

So using this same theory, if we know the circumference of the spool we can compute the drive ratio of the reel. To get the circumference of the spool we only need to devide the IPT by the gear ratio in other words 31/7.1 = 4.366 and 31/7.9= 3.924 this gives us a close measurement of the spools circumference. To get the spools diameter we can divide the circumference by 3.14 or pi. 3.924/ 3.14 =1.390 and 4.366/3.14= 1.249. So we now know the aproximate diameter of both spools. Now we need to divide the gear ratio by the diameter of the spool. So 7.1/1.390= 5.10:1 and 7.9/1.249= 6.32:1 As you can see the 7.1 reel still has the lower gear ratio and has more torque by my calculations.

My formula = gear ratio / spool dia = drive ratio. Much the same as gear ratio / tire diameter = drive ratio.

Let me know what you think.
Old 06-07-11, 11:24 PM   #24
nofearengineer

LOL....I like the approach, but your only critical mistake was in your very first step. Everything that came after suffered from bad numbers in. The gear ratio has nothing to do with the diameter of the spool. The spool diameter is something that can be directly measured; i.e. it's not a variable (at least for calculation of a static gear ratio). When in doubt, follow the UNITS.

Take your first step:

IPT = distance / revolutions (output)
Gear Ratio = revolutions (output) / revolutions (input)
Spool Circumference = distance

You have an orphaned unit: revolutions (input).

If you want to know the true gear ratio of a reel, look at it this way:

Imagine the length of the circle scribed by the reel handle as it goes through one turn. now compare it to the length that a point on the rim of the reel spool travels during one turn of the handle.

Gear Ratio = revolutions (output) / revolutions (input)

This will end up as a unitless number.

Now the equation make sense, and it also renders all of the other numbers irrelevant.

Now you can see why I get so frustrated. What should be a truly simple stat of a reel gets obfuscated by the reel companies hyping an irrelevant number.

EDIT***

ACtually, Tav, I can kind of see what you are trying to do in the first step, so what makes it wrong is the LAST step. That is where the units don't match up. It's late hehe.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 06-07-11 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Correction
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 11:35 PM   #25
Tavery5

I disagree gear ratio can tell you the circumference of the spool if you also know how many inches of line it is retrieving. In other words, 7.1:1 and 31 IPT tells us that once the spool makes 7.1 rotations it retrieves 31 inches of line. Therefore if you divide 31 the IPT by the rotations 7.1 or 31/7.1 it will tell you how much line the spool retrieves on only one rotation. That is equal to the circumference of the spool. Not sure you thought that out so well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.