Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-02-09, 03:27 AM   #1
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What Fluoro line works best for you?

So I'm a big fan of using floro, but recently i was getting some serious line twist using it on my new bait caster, on my spin caster its perfect, never have a problem with it, but it doesn't seem to like being thrown on a bait caster, more likely too get "loops knots" which form after minimal use, I'm talking maybe 50 or so cast after Re-Spooling new line onto my reel, I start seeing these loops forming, i spray reel magic, and it goes away for a while, but returns with a vengeance (lol) these loop knots will grab hold of And pinch the line from flowing out freely during my cast, you might be asking "what type of line am I'm using", that, is important!

The top 2 I've used the most.

Triliene 100% florocarbon 10-12lb

(or)

Trilene Transistion *gold* 10-12lb

(really not much difference between the two if you ask me)

i had one thought of why i keep getting burned with these 2 types of line, and that is Maybe its cause the stuff I've been buying has a long store shelf memory too it, its coming from walmart...and not many people would buy the trilene for 10.00 or more when 6.98 Shakespeare fishing line is reasonably cheaper, go figure (lol)

But I'm not really one to skimp out on using cheap equipment, and the line on that equipment i just as important, after all it's whats going to catch the fish, So I'm asking for anyone to give me some advice on trying out a new brand of floro fishing line, I've tried Stren, and trilene, both seem to fail after some use, I've also used suffix, and had *OK* if not better results with that, but I'm asking you, on a personal level, If in fact there a line that has never failed for you?

ER,.... Never is a big word, how about had "Minimal Issues" when using it.

I'm also attending the Tournament in Ky lake, KY, so maybe you guys can give me a few pointers on line, and how to better apply it, or perhaps prevent these "loops" from forming, my lure weight, and fall speeds are all set, my magnetic brakes are adjusted for the type of spool tension i want, and i know how to thumb a baitcaster, or i woudnt spend 215.00 for two reels in the past 2 months.

(for those who might of asked those questions.)
Old 05-02-09, 10:10 AM   #2
The Doc

Sufix flouro is the best I've ever used. I love Toray Superhard too, but it's reeeeeaaaalllly expensive. It's about $40 for 82 yards
Old 05-02-09, 10:14 AM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok man my first thought would be are you using a line conditioner ? I was a big seaguar guy and recently picked up some of the triline 100% fluorocarbon and it hands down is the better line I would say pick up a line conditioner and spray the line before you head out and after you get off the water and that should fix the problem .

On a side note i don't think there is any comparison between vanish and the triline 100% fluorocarbon vanish just wan't made to be a line for bass fishing .
Jim

Last edited by Jim80; 05-02-09 at 10:30 AM.
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 10:43 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

first off try using kvd line and lure conditioner, reel magic is ok but kvd's stuff is better. i am big on seaguar, it has never let me down and so i have never had any reason to switch. i have a buddy that tried the trilene 100% stuff and it sucked, it had a ton of memory and it was bought from bass pro so i doubt it had been sitting on a shelf all that long. seaguar invizx is probably the most user friendly line that seaguar has but i have switched to the abrazx and like it even better. not quite as limp but is really tough and still cast really well.
Old 05-02-09, 01:09 PM   #5
cassidyta

I use seaguar. I tried P-line and after switching to the seaguar I never went back. Like C-rig, I use both the invizix and abrazx. I will probably switch to abrazix as I start respooling.
Old 05-02-09, 01:33 PM   #6
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought some Seaguar Red Label (abrasix i think) and it was horrible at spooling off right away. I don't know if it was sitting at bass pro for a long time or what. I been using the Seaguar White Label (Invisx i think) and it's worked great though, seems more limp and easier to cast. XPS fluro line has worked pretty good for me too.
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 01:43 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanrocks View Post
I bought some Seaguar Red Label (abrasix i think) and it was horrible at spooling off right away. I don't know if it was sitting at bass pro for a long time or what. I been using the Seaguar White Label (Invisx i think) and it's worked great though, seems more limp and easier to cast. XPS fluro line has worked pretty good for me too.
bass pro also caries seaguar red label which is quite a bit cheaper. could this have been what you used? not doubting you but all the times i have spooled with abrazx i haven't had any problems at all so i was wondering if maybe it was red label instead of abrazx, i have no experience with red label so it could be great or it could be horrible.

one thing worth noting is how i spool my reels, especially flourocarbon. this isn't the only right way but this is what has worked the best for me:

i get a big bowl of hot water (as hot as you can get it out of the kitchen faucet, do not heat on the stove). i put the spool of line in the bowl of water and have my wife spray kvd line and lure conditioner on a towel. she puts tension on the line with the kvd soaked towel, so the line relaxes a little in the hot water and then she is applying line and lure conditioner to it and adding tension at the same time. i think it is important that the tension is put on the line as it comes out of the water, this way the line twist can the worked out before the line goes through the rod guides because if it has line twist that gets through the rod guides and all the way down to in front of the reel it makes it a lot tougher for the line twist to get worked out. after the reel is full then i apply more kvd line and lure conditioner to the reel.
Old 05-02-09, 01:45 PM   #8
Jim80

I tried the triline 100% because the store I went to was out of seaguar and I was in a pinch for some line , I have used it for the last couple trips and memory wise it doesn't seem to be any worse than seaguar but that is just me , and I make sure to use a line conditioner before i go out every time .

Wow c-rig my wife would throw something at me if I even suggested something like .
Old 05-02-09, 01:50 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've never had problems with fluoro on a baitcaster. I've never out in on a spinning reel, and I don't use spincasting reels. Anways, the best I've used to far is Seaguar InvisX. But the next spool I'm gonna get is the Sufix. Can't wait to try it because I am a big fan of Sufix's other lines.

BB
Old 05-02-09, 02:11 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Wow c-rig my wife would throw something at me if I even suggested something like .
my wife fishes too and she hates line memory as much as the rest of us, so she beneifts from it as well.
Old 05-02-09, 03:34 PM   #11
Bender

Put another vote in for Invizix, but P-Line Halo is good too. Carbon Pro works, but it is more stiff than Invizx. Tough as nails though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 05:20 PM   #12
Love of the Sport

I was big on P-line Halo and then switched to P-line Ultimate Fuorocabon.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 06:43 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanrocks View Post
I think C-rig is right when he said you used the Seaguar Red Label. It's Seaguar's new cheapre version of fluoro. But IMO, if there's one line you should be cheap about it's fluoro. Not I'm not saying spend 40 bucks for a little spool of the stuff from japan like toray, or something. but I think you can get a good fluoro for around 17-20bucks (maybe more if it's high lb test).

I've used the Stren 100% fluoro, and it's alright. It's a bit stiffer than some of the others I've used. The P-Line ultimate fluoro, from what I used, is alright. It had more memory than Seaguar invisX though. and I think the InvisX is more durable as well.

BB
Old 05-02-09, 06:53 PM   #14
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love of the Sport View Post
I was big on P-line Halo and then switched to P-line Ultimate Fuorocabon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
but P-Line Halo is good too.
i tried halo by p-line.. i am NOT a fan of floro but i tried it.. no thanks too stiff and too brittle..

zooker
Old 05-03-09, 09:15 PM   #15
Love of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i tried halo by p-line.. i am NOT a fan of floro but i tried it.. no thanks too stiff and too brittle..

zooker
I don't understand this. I've gone through 3 or 4 spools and found this line ridiculously hard to break to the point that i've bent out #2 gammys with 12lb and pulled up whole christmas trees out the mud with 15lb.
I don't know if you guys are fishing it in much colder weather or what exactly the deal is thats making the line preform so much differently from person to person.
Don't get me wrong, its not perfect. It does have a good bit of memory but i'm not seeing any kind of strength issues.
The only fish i've lost so far on the stuff was 1 around 5 pounds. Totaly my fault. I reeled down leaving only about 6ft of line and put my thumb on the spool and tried to manually turn him. I don't know of any 12lb line that can handle that kind of mistake.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 09:38 PM   #16
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would have to go with kevin's recommendation on this one, I think BPS' XPS flouro is absolutely tops for fishing off a baitcaster or spinning reel. It has really low memory for flouro and i have never had trouble with line loops, and I don't use a conditioner (shame on me ) If not using xps i would say segaur.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.