Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-15-09, 07:45 PM   #1
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Barometric pressure effect?

Hey guys,
I have been watching the barometer on the weather website for my area...it has been rising and been steady at times.
I am wondering what it all has to do and its effects on bass are? Does a rising pressure make the bass more finicky? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks as always!
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 09:40 PM   #2
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I can't remember what barametric pressures do to fish.....rising pressure they one thing and falling they do something different....steady pressure I dunno.....so i'm interested in knowing what others say also.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 11:07 PM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Alright I might make myself look like a total @ss. But I was always told that pressures on the rise mean that the weather fronts have passed and levels are sustaining and sort of put the fish in to a lazy mood. But a falling pressure tends to push them in to a more active mood.
***Update, I did a google before I submitted:
"Pressure affects fish because their buoyancy in the water is controlled by an air sac. This is very sensitive and they can feel the slightest change. It is generally believed that a falling pressure tends to make fish more active, and a rising pressure shuts them down. The line on the weather map that represents a cold front is the point of lowest pressure. Therefore, when a front is approaching us from the north, the pressure is dropping until it arrives, and then begins to rise. Thus, fish tend to bite best before an approaching front and generally not as well after it passes. This has been my experience...Steve Brigman, Bass Edge Editor
Jeff after being apart of the bass pro team for 12 years here is one thing I have noticed in our stores. When the barometer is high or rising you can watch the fish hug the structure in the aquariums and they will also get lazy. But if the barometer is low or dropping they will move around a lot and seem very active.when the barometer is rising I have been told it will put pressure on the fish and that's why they slow down. After all the barometer is all about pressure and the higher it is the more pressure there is on the water and the fish. Thanks Mike Webb, Bass Edge Pro Staff

Jeff, for targeting bass during pressure changing situations I tend to employ the following techniques: During low pressure the fish are more comfortable and hence "feel" like pursuing a bait so I will lean more towards a reactionary bait like a crankbait or spinnerbait. For high pressure conditions the fish don't "feel" as well and are less active and they will not chase their prey thus shrinking the strike zone. For this condition, I rely on getting the bait directly in front of them and use such lures as a jig, soft plastic, or drop shot with a very subtle action. Best of Luck! Aaron Martin, Show Host "
Old 05-17-09, 05:58 PM   #4
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Alright I might make myself look like a total @ss. But I was always told that pressures on the rise mean that the weather fronts have passed and levels are sustaining and sort of put the fish in to a lazy mood. But a falling pressure tends to push them in to a more active mood.
"Pressure affects fish because their buoyancy in the water is controlled by an air sac. This is very sensitive and they can feel the slightest change. It is generally believed that a falling pressure tends to make fish more active, and a rising pressure shuts them down. The line on the weather map that represents a cold front is the point of lowest pressure. Therefore, when a front is approaching us from the north, the pressure is dropping until it arrives, and then begins to rise. Thus, fish tend to bite best before an approaching front and generally not as well after it passes. This has been my experience...Steve Brigman, Bass Edge Editor
Jeff after being apart of the bass pro team for 12 years here is one thing I have noticed in our stores. When the barometer is high or rising you can watch the fish hug the structure in the aquariums and they will also get lazy. But if the barometer is low or dropping they will move around a lot and seem very active.when the barometer is rising I have been told it will put pressure on the fish and that's why they slow down. After all the barometer is all about pressure and the higher it is the more pressure there is on the water and the fish. Thanks Mike Webb, Bass Edge Pro Staff

Jeff, for targeting bass during pressure changing situations I tend to employ the following techniques: During low pressure the fish are more comfortable and hence "feel" like pursuing a bait so I will lean more towards a reactionary bait like a crankbait or spinnerbait. For high pressure conditions the fish don't "feel" as well and are less active and they will not chase their prey thus shrinking the strike zone. For this condition, I rely on getting the bait directly in front of them and use such lures as a jig, soft plastic, or drop shot with a very subtle action. Best of Luck! Aaron Martin, Show Host "
Good stuff, Bubba and right in line with the philosophy that I was taught. here's a another tidbit that will help you during the rising Barometer.. Deeper Fish (ruleof thumb, greater than 15' deep) or generally not affected by the rising pressure. These fish are more apt to remain somewhat active. I have seen no scientific evidence to support this theory, by I know from many years of bassfishing and many post frontal bluebird days that it pretty much works.
Old 05-17-09, 07:34 PM   #5
stevomac59

Good to know. THanks!
Old 05-17-09, 07:49 PM   #6
Jim80

great info guys thanks as well .

Jim
Old 05-17-09, 08:07 PM   #7
Average Joe
BassFishin.Com Member

Been looking for some info on this for a while now. Thanks!
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 10:57 AM   #8
hookset on 3

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post

I totally agree Bubba. You too Bob Smith. I have followed weather patterns in relation to Bass Fishing since I was young ( I'm 49 ) and in my experience Lowering barometric pressure puts fish, particularly big fish on the prowl. I keep records and can tell you I've caught most of my lunkers in bad weather. My biggest this year, 7lber, was caught during what we call a Nor'Easter up here in New England. That means cold NE winds coming off the Atlantic Ocean,with below average temps for two to three days. We're having one as I type this,so I will be going fishin' later today. It's 47 degrees and raw with low pressure. That is twenty degrees below the normal high for this date ( 67 ).
Old 05-18-09, 08:09 PM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Your right on the money Bubba
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 11:23 PM   #10
286pro
BassFishin.Com Member

once high pressure levels off and becomes stable they seem to bite better. sort of like when your ears pop on an airplane, regardless of the altitude, you feel better. thats the way it was explained to me..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.