Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 04-27-12, 02:30 PM   #26
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

LOL, I was wondering how long it would take you to get a good laugh at that one.
Old 04-27-12, 07:22 PM   #27
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
After shamelessly begging for info, looks like I got some good advice from the Smalljaw forum...
http://www.smalljaw.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9805
I've been having difficulty in registering with smalljaw.com, could you copy and paste the advice. Thanks

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 08:02 PM   #28
bassboogieman

I didn't have any difficulty - but I really wasn't overjoyed with having to register just to check a post. But therre was some good stuff there.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 11:30 PM   #29
MississippiBoy

Huh, that's weird, Bruce.....I didn't think I had to register there to see other posts, but now if I log out of the forums, I can't get back to that post. Wonder if they've changed something recently. If I'd realized that, I would've C&P'd the info rather than linking to it. Hmph...
Old 04-27-12, 11:37 PM   #30
MississippiBoy

For those who don't want to (or can't *cough cough* MARK *cough cough*) register there, here's the copied and pasted info. Each paragraph is a different person's advice.

Quote:
Get some big hammer swim baits and hang on. Read a few post right before you go on your vacation and that will give you a great idea of how deep to fish and what the fish are biting.

The grub bite might be on. 1/8 to 1/4 oz. darter head jigs with a Zoom Fat Albert grub. Also, check out historical posts from past years around the time and water temp. you'll be going. Over 100 pages of clean living!

In a couple weeks, you will still be able to catch a few smallmouth early in the morning and late in the day, maybe some throughout the day, but the night bite will be on at that time. We will be trying a little top water early in the morning and fishing under the black lights at night. Good luck to you.

I do just fine during the day right up till June. On a very clear sunny day, you may struggle a little mid day, say from 11 to 2. But, if you have wind, and a good chop, I do fine. Three inch hammers on 1/4oz head and grubs. If the bite gets tough, carolina rig a creature bait such as a smallie beaver. If you are around some grass, TX rig it or a tube and gently pull it threw the grass and hang on. Also, May is a fantastic month for topwaters early and late in the day. Poppers and walking baits are great. If the sun gets high, you will need to chase shade. Hit the deep creeks with high walls. Head into the pockets that have shade in them. Find any piece of structure you can find. A log, rock or stump. Throw a fluke or a floating worm up there. Twitch, twitch, BAM!! Oh, did I just tell yo that? ha ha
May is one of my favorite months for daytime fishing because it is the most predictable of all the spring months (March, April, May) In March a winter cold front can shut you down, in April, the same thing and you have the spawn to deal with. In May, the fish are post spawn and feeding heavy before they go deep for the summer. Now, is it the best month for a GIANT, no. Most fish have lost some weight by now but they are pulling hard and jumping high. A cold front in May can't hurt you at all. I don't care how cold it gets. It only fires them up more! It is a great time for numbers of fish, and a great month to bring kids to the Hollow. The weather is more mild and you can usually put them on some decent fish.
And, yes, as John said, the nightbite will be in full swing as well. They are catching them at night right now. Smallmouth and Walleye. It just depends on how you like to fish. I personally just like the daylight hours the most and will ride it as long as I can, or as long as the fish let me. lol

Pay attention to the type of banks you are fishing too. The red clay banks and pea gravel banks tend to have the grass on them. This is going to be off the bank somewhat so don't look for matted grass like green fisherman like. I think alot of times people make theistake of running to the rockiest and most craggly looking rocks they can find since that is what they think typical smallmouth hanitat looks like. You can catch fish in those banks but many times, especially this time if year youll do much better on plain clay banks.

If you are there for the full moon, throw brown, dirty green etc... If it is dark, no moon or in the last quarter, throw dark colors - black, black and blue etc... Spinnerbaits will work well also. And like Keith said, you will still catch fish during the day. We are night fishing now, but we are still going out early in the morning and late in the afternoon for the topwater bite. Good luck.
Old 04-29-12, 04:39 PM   #31
woody

Good info!

I'm sure with all of the baits and advice Punisher Lures has to offer, we should be able to do just fine.

FYI - One Stop Bait and Tackle, owned by Stephen Headrick is also home of Punisher Lure Co.

http://www.punisherlures.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?jsid=1&h...ed=0CAMQkwMwAQ

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 12:25 PM   #32
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Has anybody else been looking at smalljaw.com's forums? http://www.smalljaw.com/forum/default.asp

It's pretty much 100% dedicated to Dale Hollow fishing, and smallmouths in particular. A lot of the guys on there swear by the Big Hammer swimbaits, so much so that I'm probably going to pick up a few packs and jigheads to give them a shot. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageSWMBIGHAM-BHSBT.html
I've never caught a fish on a swimbait, but it really looks like it might be worth it. Whatcha think?
I think swimbaits, and plastics are up in general. I have noticed here in Indiana a lot more fish being caught on plastics than before. Especially anything black and blue, theyll eat them like candy. Regarding swimbaits, we had some guys qualify for the FLW College National Championship on Lake Murray a few weeks ago, nearly all were on swimbaits.

Also, I talked to Cody Gass (TCBFT angler of the year)a few months ago. He also suggested Big Hammer Swimbaits in some deep bluffs and what not.
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 03:26 PM   #33
MississippiBoy

There's been a couple of people on Smalljaw that said topwater stuff like poppers and Spooks have been doing good for them lately. Gotta like that....
Old 05-07-12, 04:54 PM   #34
bcklash

Yea baby!!!
Old 05-09-12, 10:31 AM   #35
MississippiBoy

Got a little more info, off of BBC this time. I know this is too late for some of us, but I'll put it here anyway, just to consolidate it in one place:

Quote:
Last I heard swimbaits were killing the smallies. If you're at Cedar Hill you are right in the middle of great fishing. Try heading up lake to Mitchell Creek. Check out the area around Galton Hollow too. If you look across the lake from the Cedar Hill ramp there is a long bluff with a pocket on the left end and a long clay point on the right end with a flat. Both sides of that long bluff bank hold big fish and lots of them. Don't be afraid to try grubs, tubes, and flies.
Quote:
You may also want to try the top water bite first thing it the morning. small jigs with trailers slow rolled over the flats is also a good combination. I like the green with a orange colored craw trailer. I typically throw the jig combination on a spinning rod with 8 lb. fluorocarbon line. You need to try the area next to the new slips at ceder hill I have always caught fish there. One other option you may want to try is the night fishing some of the reports from the lake sounds like it is starting to heat up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.