Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-16-09, 08:54 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Q: on plastics

sorry if this has already been discussed..

being new to using plastic baits (worms, lizards and such)
how often should you change it? aside for the obvious where its torn and ripped and wont stay on the hook properly

is there a general rule of thumb? for instance, the bait is still in decent condition even after landing 3 or 4 fish ,should you change it anyways,
or just keep using it till its basically destroyed?

thanks!!
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 08:59 PM   #2
bassackwards

lol i got a bud that changes his after every fish, but i don't have that kind of cash. i i use mine until it will not stay on or will not have the action i want, hope this helps
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 09:06 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't see any reason to replace a plastic before it won't stay on the hook. Except GULP plastics. always take it off when you're done using it. Other than that though, only when it breaks.

BB
Old 06-16-09, 09:17 PM   #4
bigjim

ok cool ,,thanks.
wasnt sure,, even though the bait looks fine the action isn't what it was and is un-attractive to the fish is all i was wondering
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 09:31 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Nope, infact at the KY Lake event, both my dad and I caught fish on Zoom Brushhogs and baby brushhogs missing "limbs." The same goes for lizards.

BB
Old 06-16-09, 09:43 PM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah unless it wont stay on the hook i wont change it....... i have caught fish on lizards where i ripped the heads off b/c the heads were messed up from the hook, legs were missing, and a part of the tail was bit off......

i heard that aaron martens changes his worms constantly, b/c he thinks new ones have better action or somethin.... all the pros say his boat is full of "gently used worms".... i wouldnt mind havin all the roboworms
Old 06-16-09, 10:22 PM   #7
bamabassman

another way to get all you can is to turn it upside down. at kylake me and ol zooker did this. actually i was taught by da zook to do this. when ya ain't got that many to use get all you can from what ya got. just take it off and turn it upside down, works great on lizards,lol.
Old 06-17-09, 07:19 AM   #8
Mac2

Some baits look better beaten up by the fish....a craw that's missing a claw looks more vulnerable, grubs with torn tails sometimes swim in an erratic crippled fashion. Tubes missing every third strand in the skirt provide much better action but look rough from tearing them out.

Hook holes and tears can be easily repaired with a pencil soldering iron from Wally World Automotive.....costs under five dollars. When you get it home, take a piece of copper wire about the diameter of a pencil lead or just a tad thicker and wrap it three times around the tip of the iron and let a half inch sticking out off the end. Use this wire, when hot, to repair hook holes and tears. For the holes, just insert the wire into the hold and press together and hold a few seconds while cooling. For tears, just press together as you draw the wire through the tear. Best to do this outside and avoid the plastic fumes altogether. If I am modifying soft plastics I heat the two pieces to be joined by using the fat barrel of the iron and melting them at the same time, then pressing and holding them while cooling. I made a holder for the iron which allows hands free working. I simply cut two notches in the top of a mid sized tin can and lay the iron in the notches....I used a little sand in the bottom of the can for weight and stick the hot iron down in the sand when done. Keeps it from melting anything else, including the cord. Again....outside is best.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 08:37 AM   #9
Bassboss

Default A: on plastics

I use them till the get torn, and can't hold the hook! I see no reason not to change till it's torn!
Old 06-17-09, 08:58 AM   #10
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
after landing 3 or 4 fish ,should you change it anyways,
or just keep using it till its basically destroyed?

thanks!!
I may just be superstitious but if I've got a bait I caught "3 or 4" fish on, the last thing I would do is change it. I've got a green pumpkin jig I won our last club tournament on and also caught fish on pre-fishing for the next tournament that is set aside to use in the next tournament even though it has scrape/teeth marks on the head and has lost some of the skirt. In my mind, I'm thinking there must be something special about this particular bait that the fish like.

If I've got a bait, any bait, that the fish like, I'll use it and baby it until I lose it, destroy it or the fish quit biting it. I'll never change it for another like it unless it's too torn up to use.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 09:14 AM   #11
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I never change a plastic out until the bait is so worn out that I can't get the hook to stay in. The exception to that is if I am catching the fire out of them and all of a sudden the bite stops I might change out the beat up plastic for a fresh one and see what happens. I caught 8 on a monster zoom worm Sunday morning before I lost it. The worm was pretty beat up and the hook was not staying hidden very well. But that last bass got a belly full of plastic worm. By the way, this was not at Kentucky Lake. It was at a small 1.25 acre pond over about an hour or so. Needless to say I had fun and hated to leave but I had to.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 11:45 AM   #12
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

I have a bunch of these things, and i dont really know how to use them. Someone said they have to smell... uhh.. all mine smell like is plastic. Can ya'll give me the lesson for dummies on how to use them?
Old 06-17-09, 12:18 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
I have a bunch of these things, and i dont really know how to use them. Someone said they have to smell... uhh.. all mine smell like is plastic. Can ya'll give me the lesson for dummies on how to use them?

I'll PM you!
Old 06-24-09, 08:47 PM   #14
bassboy11
BassFishin.Com Member

that's what most people do. but after a few fish i rip the plastic off and put on a new one

hope it helps
bassboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 10:09 PM   #15
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

For a long time I used those berkely 7" powerbaits that come in the juice bag. Usually after the catch, the head end is damaged and the bait is so soft, I pinch off the head to the first notch and keep on going. I do the same thing for those darn soft senkos after hooking a "thrasher".
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 10:18 PM   #16
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
lol i got a bud that changes his after every fish, but i don't have that kind of cash. i i use mine until it will not stay on or will not have the action i want, hope this helps

Think your bud could send me them? I'll pay shipping.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 08:31 AM   #17
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Mend-it is your friend . I've caught 16 fish off of 2 senko's by putting them back together with mend-it. Use them 'til their trashed then fix with mend-it and start over again. All day I'll throw the ripped ones in the bottom of the boat and when I get home I'll repair them and sometimes create new baits by combining different ones.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 09:01 AM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachbass View Post
For a long time I used those berkely 7" powerbaits that come in the juice bag. Usually after the catch, the head end is damaged and the bait is so soft, I pinch off the head to the first notch and keep on going. I do the same thing for those darn soft senkos after hooking a "thrasher".
That is a great tip. I was fishing with a guy the other day. We was throwing Senkos, I was throwing a Yum Dinger. He'd get about one fish onthe senko and have to chane. I caught all my fish on the same Dinger. After about 4 fish, the head was torn up, so I cut about 3/8 of an inch off the head and rerigged it. it was good for for another fish (then I left).

BB
Old 07-02-09, 08:19 PM   #19
rangerryan

i usem till there aint no usen left i throw them in the bottom of the boat when im done and i baggem up when i get home next time im out practice fishing i use super glue to hold them together and on my hook. after that they see the bottom of my trash can.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 02:25 AM   #20
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
I may just be superstitious but if I've got a bait I caught "3 or 4" fish on, the last thing I would do is change it. I've got a green pumpkin jig I won our last club tournament on and also caught fish on pre-fishing for the next tournament that is set aside to use in the next tournament even though it has scrape/teeth marks on the head and has lost some of the skirt. In my mind, I'm thinking there must be something special about this particular bait that the fish like.

If I've got a bait, any bait, that the fish like, I'll use it and baby it until I lose it, destroy it or the fish quit biting it. I'll never change it for another like it unless it's too torn up to use.
were talkin about soft plastics not jigs, your hard jig isnt gonna be torn from thrashing fish or you aint gonna have problems keeping them on a hook

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.