Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-30-04, 01:31 AM   #1
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking
Default spinner bait mods

playing around with a few spinner baits. anyone have any opinions on blade selection? specificly smooth polished verses faceted (dented) blades. or tear drop shaped blades verses longer willow blades?

last little thought anyone ever seen a spinner bait combined with a lipped crank? instead of just a head and skirt the body of a lipped crank dressed up with the rest of the spinner bait setup? wanna find a noisier + more atractive solution to suspended fish at certain depths seems a little silly but heh ill try anything once. ;D
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 10:20 AM   #2
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Re: spinner bait mods

[quote author=snag-a-matic link=board=news;num=1093840305;start=0#0 date=08/30/04 at 00:31:45]playing around with a few spinner baits. anyone have any opinions on blade selection? specificly smooth polished verses faceted (dented) blades. or tear drop shaped blades verses longer willow blades?[/quote]

I like smooth, but only because they are easier to get. I have used both, and have both, and find no differance between the two.

I also prefer the Indiana Blades the best, as they give the fish a different look and vibration they do not see to often..

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 12:31 PM   #3

Hey what you said about a crank bait+a spinner combined in one, it gave me some ideas! I know it sounds kinda foolish, but I think im gonna try a little expermint! Keep in touch, and Ill tell you how it comes out! Thanks ;D
Old 08-30-04, 07:00 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

hmmmm....
i like the smooth ones. and i use willow blades only.
actually a friend of mine built some of those he used badit cranks. worked fine just would not run in a straight line the wobbling was knocking it around to much .. i have seen some thing like this . it had a shad shape with a small willow blade mounted near the hook. i just can't remember who was making them ..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 10:04 PM   #5
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

see i wanted to keep the r shaped frame and place the crank on the lower straight wire i think as long as i run the wire through the center of the crank i can get it to balance,,, biggest problem i dont know alot about lip size and angle im looking for about a 10-12 foot and a 4-5 foot depths on a fairly rapid retrieve.
Old 08-30-04, 10:32 PM   #6
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=snag-a-matic link=board=news;num=1093840305;start=0#4 date=08/30/04 at 21:04:44]biggest problem i dont know alot about lip size and angle im looking for about a 10-12 foot and a 4-5 foot depths on a fairly rapid retrieve.[/quote]

10=12', straight out from the nose, a bill about 2.5" long, and kinda wide.

4-5', shorter bill about 1.2" , angled slightly down from the nose.

Charles
Old 08-31-04, 02:32 AM   #7
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks bassboss
;D
Old 08-31-04, 04:41 AM   #8
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

I don't know how well a spinner-crankbait will work, but hey, more power to you. As far as blade selection goes, well, thats all determined by depth, water clarity, time of day or night, and general activity level of fish. Mainly depth and water clarity. As far as dimpled blades compared to smooth blades, well, there isn't much difference. Dimpled blades might move a little bit more water, but other than that, it doesn't matter. In murky water, or at night, a colorado or indiana blade is prefered. It produces a lot more vibration. In clearer water, a willow leaf blade is a better choice. It doesn't have near the thump of the colorado, but provides more flash. In clear water a clorado or indiana blade can actually spook fish. If fishing deeper, then I go with a large willow leaf. This lets me fish any depth effectively. A willow leaf provides less lift of the bait and I can fish it more effectively at specific depths. good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 10:57 AM   #9
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassboss link=board=news;num=1093840305;start=0#5 date=08/30/04 at 21:32:26]

10=12', straight out from the nose, a bill about 2.5" long, and kinda wide.

4-5', shorter bill about 1.2" , angled slightly down from the nose.

Charles[/quote]

That should say 1.5", NOT 1.2

Sorry.Typo

Charles

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.