Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 02-10-05, 09:01 PM   #1
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Quail Hunting? (help)

Me and a friend have been talking about trying to learn how to quail hunt. Neither of us have ever hunted upland birds before, we have no dog, we do have a small piece of land which has a few wild birds on it and we have two shotguns, a 12 and 20 gauge.

Now, since bird hunting in Alabama is a dying art, I know of nobody to learn this stuff from so my idea was to just go do it. Right now, the best plan I can gather is to just walk about 10 feet apart from each other in a line at the edge of the brushy field and pray that we can flush a couple birds out.

I have no idea if this is a viable plan or just an excercise in futility, but I figured I might as well ask you guys (maybe somebody on here hunts quail) if this might work, or if there is another tactic I might try.

Now I know how all those new bass fishermen feel....
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 09:42 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Quail Hunting? (help)

[quote author=WTL link=board=Tourneys;num=1108080064;start=0#0 date=02/10/05 at 19:01:04]Me and a friend have been talking about trying to learn how to quail hunt. Neither of us have ever hunted upland birds before, we have no dog, we do have a small piece of land which has a few wild birds on it and we have two shotguns, a 12 and 20 gauge.

Now, since bird hunting in Alabama is a dying art, I know of nobody to learn this stuff from so my idea was to just go do it. Right now, the best plan I can gather is to just walk about 10 feet apart from each other in a line at the edge of the brushy field and pray that we can flush a couple birds out.

I have no idea if this is a viable plan or just an excercise in futility, but I figured I might as well ask you guys (maybe somebody on here hunts quail) if this might work, or if there is another tactic I might try.

Now I know how all those new bass fishermen feel....[/quote]

Quail will usually gather together in covey's(a group of them). If you jump them too far ahead, forget about shooting them. They come out quick, and actually stay pretty low, so watch out for your buddy, and make sure he watches you. It's pretty hard to find them and get a good shot without a dog, but it can be done. I use #8 shot or smaller shot for them. They are great eating. My first and formost suggestion is to find somewhere that you can shoot at some clay targets b4 going out. It will make a huge difference, especially since you haven't hunted upland birds before. I must say it's lots of fun, and good eating too. Don't get discouraged if you don't actually hit any your first time out. Like I said clay targets before will make all the difference in the world. I also beleive that if you're really aiming, you probably won't hit anything, it must be a quick trigger, that's why all the clays are good. Hope you fill your limit.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 09:49 PM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

WTL,

If you and your buddy are serious about quail hunting, there is one piece of equipment that each of you should include in your list. You should both have an extra pair of underwear with you. I gaurantee that the first time a covey of quail get up all around you, it will get a little bit too exciting.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 09:51 PM   #4
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Lizards. Â*Were gonna try and get some clay targets tommorow. Â*About the hunting itself, I realize it is normally done with a dog and all but since we don't have one how would you approach trying to flush a covey out at the right distance? Â*Are we just gonna have to walk around like I said or is there anything we should look for?

Jackl, lol I think you forget that not everybody is as old as you!
Old 02-10-05, 10:00 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=WTL link=board=Tourneys;num=1108080064;start=0#3 date=02/10/05 at 19:51:25]Thanks Lizards. Were gonna try and get some clay targets tommorow. About the hunting itself, I realize it is normally done with a dog and all but since we don't have one how would you approach trying to flush a covey out at the right distance? Are we just gonna have to walk around like I said or is there anything we should look for?

Jackl, lol I think you forget that not everybody is as old as you! [/quote]

Your 10 feet span isn't a bad idea. Watch were the birds fly to and try to sneak up on them. I think if you know there are some birds in a particular area(and feel comfortable with your hunting partner) I would have one of you walk around and come in from the backside, while the other walks towards him, trying to flush a few birds. I find that quail like to hang out right at the treelines. SO someone walking around and deeper into the woods, and then walking towards the other guy sitting outside of the treeline. Hope some of this helps. All I can say is I'm hooked on bird hunting, and if you do it, and have any success, I believe you will be also.

Lizards
Old 02-10-05, 10:06 PM   #6
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Lizards, appreciate it. I'll post how I do..............if I actually manage to shoot something other than a can on a fence post.
Old 02-11-05, 02:53 AM   #7
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

WTL,
Go ahead and laugh, you'r going to need those clean shorts. If you and your partner take Uncle Liz' advice and come in on quail from opposite directions, the undertaker will be changing them for you.

JackL
Old 02-11-05, 03:23 AM   #8
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh I'm laughing alright you old fart.....first you try to joke about a lack of bowel control, then you make a joke about mortality.....

Is it not fitting that when trying to make a joke, death and sh!tting oneself are the first two punchlines the senior member of this forum thinks about?

[move] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]
Old 02-11-05, 10:33 AM   #9
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

WTL

You came into this world sh!tting yourself, and I can tell you from many years of homicide investigation that you will leave the same way. I am only trying to give you advice to prevent the latter from happening during a quail hunt.

JackL
Old 02-12-05, 02:42 PM   #10
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, the rumors of my impending demise in a quail hunt were apparently exagerated....sorry Jackl, I survived and so did my boxers....

Now I didn't see any quail, and my friend didn't even show up (called about 3 hours after the hunting was supossed to start, felt "sick&quot, but I did get a swell shot at a cardinal....I was able to resist the urge to shoot....looking back I don't know how : .

I figure I will try again next season, maybe even try to hunt at a preserve. My Dad used to hunt in this area back in the 60s, but quit cause he said that the urbanization of this county scared all the doves, ducks and quail out. Maybe he was on to something.
Old 02-12-05, 03:20 PM   #11
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Hey, cardinals are nice birds, I'm glad you didn't shoot!

Go for the annoying birds LOL j/k
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 05:00 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

wtl
nah never hunted quail afore-not- brushy fields and thickets. brush pants are a must. i have a couple english pointer's one is laid back and quiet as a mouse. the other is wond tight and will bark his *** off at a butterfly. early in the moring go to the area you wish to hunt right after day light you will hear them call. also if in the tenn area they have a funny bred of quail called tenn reds -even tougher to hit. take it from me wtl finding the birds are easy hitting them are harder finding a bird ater you shoot it with out a dog is nearly imposable.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 11:27 PM   #13
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Sooner or later I will get a bird dog. My Springer Spaniel passed away last November after 13 years so I guess I will wait a while still.

The place where I hunted was more grown up than I had been lead to believe, lots of thicket too thick to walk through. I'll get this right, it will just take time like learning to fish took time.
Old 02-18-05, 02:40 PM   #14
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to YoungFisher678

WTL, My advice, get yourself a trip with an experienced hunter either on a perserve or someone who has land. ALso, if you want to be sure you find birds you can always buy them from someone who has a flight pen, turn them out and hunt them.

90% of the enjoyment comes from watching a skilled dog work, the rest is just extra.

Good Luck.
YoungFisher678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 04:59 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=wmaybin link=board=Tourneys;num=1108080064;start=0#13 date=02/18/05 at 12:40:15]WTL, My advice, get yourself a trip with an experienced hunter either on a perserve or someone who has land. ALso, if you want to be sure you find birds you can always buy them from someone who has a flight pen, turn them out and hunt them.

90% of the enjoyment comes from watching a skilled dog work, the rest is just extra.

Good Luck.[/quote]

Good advice, and great perception on the 90% I couldn't agree more.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.