Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-09-13, 11:57 AM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default losing a 10 lb bass

Ok so I did a post last week about this kid that I’m trying to mentor well just be there for him and helping him get into the crazy thing we love so much! I have this lake I love for offshore bass. He’s already got his first 5lb girl so now he’s hooked. I blew past the lake to check water temp and how stained it was and did a little side viewing to find this spot of a creek channel. I know now would be the time for them to be possible shallow but not on this lake. We get there and I keep of the spot and he’s pointing at this bank and that laydown and I’m trying to keep him patient. Just trying to give the other boats their time to get back into the shallows and coves. I’m explain to him that these fish are going to fight different with the water temp up 20 degrees (in the low 60’s) I trying to get him to slow his retrieve to try and get her to choke it….not have it on the side of the mouth for an easier toss of the crank. I’m Telling him I may be able to put him on a Double digit. Well it happened but with the wrong end result. I felt bad because I got a little flustered and excuse the language in the video. It’s been a minute since I’ve seen a ten and when she came up I was like “Yes”! we don’t run across Double D’s like you guys do! Just curious if I was to hard on him. He told me that he didn’t think he was ready and I didn’t think about the possibility of a negative effect of him losing a fish like that. So all this week yes been calling apologizing. I’ve just been telling him that’s fishing ! Tried to redeem my self but losing a fish like that is hard. At the end of the day we were laughing so I figured all was well. Again excuse a few brief curse words don’t know how to bleep stuff out yet.
oh i know you don't see her but she was huge! i can't definitely say she was over ten. but fish and wildlife were out the previous week and one of the guys i know told me they shocked 3 over 15lbs and a bunch of ten plus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqP_Y...bB0BRQ&index=1
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 05:43 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

it happens to alll of us.
Old 04-09-13, 06:11 PM   #3
joedog

From the video, by the way, great video. Benito seems happy.

Can't wait till next report.
Old 04-09-13, 06:19 PM   #4
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Don't even worry about it man.
i didn't see anything out of line at all.
And i'm sure he realized, like I did, that you were more flustered FOR him, than AT him.

And he didn't seem to take offense at all.

Personally, from what I've seen, you're doing a great job showin him the ropes
Old 04-09-13, 10:26 PM   #5
bamabassman

crankbait...buddy i KNOW the feeling man. i lost a 10 plus bass (SAME BASS) TWICE in 2 days. bigbassing144 can tell oyuit was at least that big. it was during the FIRST ZOOKERFEST. lost it the first day, went back to the same exact spot and lost it AGAIN.
Old 04-10-13, 01:59 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
crankbait...buddy i KNOW the feeling man. i lost a 10 plus bass(SAME BASS) TWICE in 2 days. bigbassing144 can tell oyuit was at least that big. it was during the FIRST ZOOKERFEST. lost it the first day, went back to the same exact spot and lost it AGAIN.
I don't
Old 04-10-13, 05:31 PM   #7
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Don't even worry about it man.
i didn't see anything out of line at all.
And i'm sure he realized, like I did, that you were more flustered FOR him, than AT him.

And he didn't seem to take offense at all.

Personally, from what I've seen, you're doing a great job showin him the ropes
Mason your right i felt worse for him. DD's don't come by every day here so......sucks but he knows i'm not upset with him
Old 04-10-13, 08:32 PM   #8
Bassboss

Seems like a good learning experience to me!

I think you did a pretty good job of explaining what you've gotta do when you hook into a good fish like that. Get out there and get her next time!
Old 04-11-13, 03:02 AM   #9
kennethdaysale

Back in the mid 70's I befriended a retired Pentecostal preacher that had lost his left arm just above the elbow as a soldier in Korea. He was an excellent fisherman and amazing to watch. Given his disability he decided to fish and focus only one techique, Texas Rigged worms. His overriding goal was to finally catch a 10lb bass.

Well one morning he casts his worm out with his right hand using his Ambassader 5000, tucks the handle under his nub and with his hand cradeling the reel he begins to slowly retrieve with his thumb. Needless to say after 20+ years of doing it that way he had become very good at it. Next thing I know he has the rod in his hand, pointing at the line as it slowly swims off to the right and WHAM sets the hook-sticks the handle back under his nub and begins reeling the fish in with his thumb.

Long story short when it jumped we both knew it was well over 10 and as he guided it by the boat he was shaking like a leaf and his voice was crackling with excitement as he whispered "get the net". I eased the net in the water in front of the fish......the fish made a lunge downward and instead of letting him dive and resurface I attempted to anticipate his downward trajectory and poke the net under him......instead I poked the line between the fish and the pastor and the line parted (loudly).

I can't describe the look of despair and disgust I saw in his eyes when he looked up at me.........not a word. profane or otherwise did he speak. 6 months later he was gone and to this day I regret that mistake.
Old 04-11-13, 12:08 PM   #10
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Back in the mid 70's I befriended a retired Pentecostal preacher that had lost his left arm just above the elbow as a soldier in Korea. He was an excellent fisherman and amazing to watch. Given his disability he decided to fish and focus only one techique, Texas Rigged worms. His overriding goal was to finally catch a 10lb bass.

Well one morning he casts his worm out with his right hand using his Ambassader 5000, tucks the handle under his nub and with his hand cradeling the reel he begins to slowly retrieve with his thumb. Needless to say after 20+ years of doing it that way he had become very good at it. Next thing I know he has the rod in his hand, pointing at the line as it slowly swims off to the right and WHAM sets the hook-sticks the handle back under his nub and begins reeling the fish in with his thumb.

Long story short when it jumped we both knew it was well over 10 and as he guided it by the boat he was shaking like a leaf and his voice was crackling with excitement as he whispered "get the net". I eased the net in the water in front of the fish......the fish made a lunge downward and instead of letting him dive and resurface I attempted to anticipate his downward trajectory and poke the net under him......instead I poked the line between the fish and the pastor and the line parted (loudly).

I can't describe the look of despair and disgust I saw in his eyes when he looked up at me.........not a word. profane or otherwise did he speak. 6 months later he was gone and to this day I regret that mistake.
Kenn thats a humbling story.....makes mine seem irrelevant. i can only imagine how you felt. that was a good deed! the fact that you took him out speaks highly of you as an angler and even more as a person!
Old 04-16-13, 10:40 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
it happens to alll of us.
Yep, it sure does. A few years back I was fishing Choke Canyon about an hour or so south of San Antonio, a lake that anywhere else would be considered a crown jewel but gets overshadowed by Falcon and Amistad, I had 2 identical weightless Tiki Stick rigs on the deck except one was spooled with braid and the other mono. I was fishing an area where several different types of vegitation came together right up on the bank and this was during the spawn. As I made the cast I said to my buddy I need to switch rods (I was using the one that was spooled with mono). Well, I doubt I need to tell you what happened next. Felt the thump, and set the hook. She came up, smiled at me, then dove into the hydrilla and the line parted with a loud snap. To this day I still have the occasional bad dream about it.

You are doing a good thing, amigo. He will remember that fish for a long time and even with just the little I know about it I'd bet he knows-or will know-that it was losing the fish and not him that caused your reaction.
Old 04-21-13, 09:09 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Just think, without you putting him in your boat, he probably would have never even gained the experience that drives us to the water before the sun comes over the trees and keeps us their after it is long gone.

It reminds me of a couple of weeks ago, I lost a decent fish and was giving my G-rated 21 son of a gun salute since my 7 year old was with me. He says, that's why they call it fishing and not catching (Yes, he is using my own words of wisdom I give to him). My next words were love you bud, and returned with a love you too, daddy....fish on....
Old 04-22-13, 04:38 PM   #13
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Just think, without you putting him in your boat, he probably would have never even gained the experience that drives us to the water before the sun comes over the trees and keeps us their after it is long gone.

It reminds me of a couple of weeks ago, I lost a decent fish and was giving my G-rated 21 son of a gun salute since my 7 year old was with me. He says, that's why they call it fishing and not catching (Yes, he is using my own words of wisdom I give to him). My next words were love you bud, and returned with a love you too, daddy....fish on....
and that what it's all about....aint it!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.