Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-09-13, 09:10 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs down Power Pro braid.

I finally bought a spool of 20# Power Pro braid (tried the red for better visibility) for my spinning reels. After 5 hours of fishing with it (using two of the six reels I spooled with it) - I've ripped it off all six reels. I cannot imagine what the appeal of this line might be as I found it extremely stiff (although new, for 20# it was very stiff) with a very rough surface and the line laying on the water was coiled (like old fluorocarbon) after being on the spool only two days prior to fishing with it. I did buy it on a whim at Dick's Sporting Goods so maybe I got a spool of Chinese counterfeit line but it was the worst braid I've ever tried.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 09:53 AM   #2
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wow, nOt my experience at all. Maybe your state gets the crap spoils lol. I just spooled my president with some. Great line
Old 06-09-13, 11:12 AM   #3
Jrob78

Power Pro has a coating on it that eventually flakes off all over your hands and reel. Once the coating is gone, the line becomes much more supple. It's an old line, Power Pro isn't even the best Power Pro anymore. I've heard the PP Super Slick is a nice line. I use the Sufix braids when I use braid. Both the 832 and the Performance Braid are much softer and don't have that nasty coating.
Old 06-09-13, 11:15 AM   #4
bigbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser

Put it in a box and send it back to Power Pro, I would.
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 12:20 PM   #5
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I've got the yellow on my spinning reels and haven't had a single problem.
Old 06-09-13, 02:09 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I use the Sufix braids when I use braid.
I've been using the Sufix Performance Braid for a couple years, Joe. It was time to change line and I just have heard so many "good" comments concerning PP that when I saw the spool I decided to see for myself. I have never been so disappointed in a line and I'm re-spooling with the Sufix - I know it's good line.
Old 06-09-13, 03:13 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I've been using the Sufix Performance Braid for a couple years, Joe. It was time to change line and I just have heard so many "good" comments concerning PP that when I saw the spool I decided to see for myself. I have never been so disappointed in a line and I'm re-spooling with the Sufix - I know it's good line.
I have never had a problem with either line, but I, too, prefer the Sufix Performance Braid.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 07:47 PM   #8
Marty

I've been using 15# Power Pro in green for 7-8 years with no particular problems. I wonder if there could be differences between the red and green other than color.

But I agree with bigbasser who said to send it back to the company. The worst that can happen is that you spend a small amount on postage and they don't do anything for you. Well worth the cost of postage to find out.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 07:56 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i too use both brands bruce. question, did oyu spray it down with KVD conditioner? it really helps. i agree it is stiff at first, but with time it loosens up.
Old 06-09-13, 08:10 PM   #10
Jrob78

I never really had a problem with Power Pro when I started using it years ago. The problem came when I tried better braids, there was no going back. Regular Power Pro probably was really good when it first came out, there are better braids available now though.

Part of the problem might have been buying red braid from Dicks. It might have been sitting there for years. I don't know if braid goes bad but the coating might. Either way, stick with what you know works.
Old 06-09-13, 09:34 PM   #11
OkobojiEagle

I want some "body" in my braid... I chalk your disappointment up to individual preference rather than bad braid.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 10:33 PM   #12
Bassboss

Gotta break it in a little bit! It's like a damn good boot, a little stiff at first, but you'll love em after a bit of use!
Old 06-09-13, 10:43 PM   #13
nofearengineer

I used to use PP Braid quite a bit, and like others have said, it is initially a little springy, but one it gets used a bit it becomes quite limp.

However, once I discovered Fireline Braid, that's the only braid I'll put on a baitcaster.
Old 06-10-13, 07:04 AM   #14
keithdog

I've never had any problem with PP, but like the others, I've switched to better braids. The Suffix braids are my choice now.
Old 06-10-13, 11:01 AM   #15
Captmikestarrett

I use the the red / yellow / smoke and green in PP and really only have a few air loops. I did once have an issue with PP due to spooling it wrong. Had the label side down and filled the spool. BOO-ING and the twist nest was a huge mess. Worked it out and dragged behind the boat for 100 yards or so and it was fine.

Capt Mike
Old 06-13-13, 04:57 PM   #16
flfireman

Have used power pro for many years. Tried a few others and always go back to PP. I have rods spooled from 20# to 65#, never have had a problem.
Old 06-14-13, 11:50 AM   #17
3dkicker

I've been using it (green) for years for my Horny Toad rod and haven't had an issue with it ever. Sounds like you got a bad bunch line.....
Old 06-14-13, 08:35 PM   #18
Rebbasser

Been using it for years, no complaints at all. May try suffix at some time, but you know what they say, "If it ain't broke..."
Old 06-16-13, 09:48 AM   #19
wallywallace

I recently spooled up some 732 suffix it is great aswell
Old 06-16-13, 10:37 AM   #20
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
I recently spooled up some 732 suffix it is great aswell
I love the 832 as well. I have it spooled on my spinning rod in 20 pound test, 6 # mono equiv. The Suffix Performance braid is my choice now for my casting rods.
Old 06-16-13, 11:14 AM   #21
merc1997

if you want a very limp braid, try sten sonic braid. it is the limpest braid i have used. and, it seems to hold up as well or better than the other brands. it flips and pitches like a dream, and you can come very close to unspooling a baitcaster with it throwing a spoon. it does not have a problem with burying in the spool either.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-13, 03:06 PM   #22
bassboogieman

OK, I'm back in the middle of "BRAID WARS" (wouldn't that make a great weekly TV show for WFN?). I've got to re-mention I was using the PP specifically for spinning reels, it may be ok on casting reels, some work better than others, but it did not perform well compared to what I had been using, ie Sufix Performance Braid.

I also purchased a spool of (new to me) High Seas braid to try on my casting reels in a light green 30#. Got to try it out on Friday for a couple hours on a worm rod and I liked it. Much limper than the PP, actually seemed like it had been "used" for a while as it was soft, limp, and smooth compared to the PP. They feel so much different when drawn through the fingers. The (20#) PP, waxy stiff and course and the High Seas like soft thread.

OK, both of them were/are a first time purchase, but first impressions do a lot to bring one back for more. I won't buy the Power Pro again, but the High Seas is a maybe.

Yesterday my Sufix 832 arrived, that will be going on the spinning reels. Maybe later today as back problems have sidelined me for a few days (hopefully that's all) so I won't be fishing with it for a little while. But I said I liked the Performance Braid and this 832 (in the box) feels really slick, so I'm expecting it to be as good or better than the Performance Braid for SPINNING reel use. It's also 20#, in lime green. I haven't fished with it yet but it seems far superior to what I just took off. The 832 is pricey but Cabela's had the 832 on sale at $26 for a 300 yd spool, decent price.
Old 06-19-13, 09:14 AM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I used Sufix PB exclusively for a few years, and started using 832 when it came out. Sufix just knows how to make good braid (and mono).

My one complain with PB is that the number of strands varies depending on the test. The lower tests (I believe 10lb and under) have 4 strands, like PP. I wasn't a bit fan of the 10lb PB. At 20-30lb, it has 6. It is smoother than the smaller tests and works well. At 40lb+ it is 8 strands and quite smooth.

I think the biggest advantage of 832 over PB is that it is 8 strand throughout the range of lines. I'm currently using 10lb on one spinning reel, 20lb on a finesse baitcaster, 40lb on a frog rod, and my dad is using 30lb on a baitcaster. We bought a few spools when our Gander Mtn got rid of their fishing stuff, all 50% off.

One of the better, inexpensive braids I've used has been Spiderwire Stealth. It isn't as good a line as PB or 832, but it's cheap and very smooth. It took a bit of breaking in (more than PB or 832), and frayed easier. But like I said, it's a good budget alternative at $14 a spool.

BB
Old 06-19-13, 06:59 PM   #24
wallywallace

I agree with above, though maybe a bad shipment, since i did buy it at wallworld. I got some spiderwire braid, flurobraid? and some other brand spiderwire. after 2 trips I took remaining spool back and rest was gave to my mom, who is using to stake tomatos. lol
Old 06-20-13, 07:43 AM   #25
lilmule

Ive used 30 lb suffix(pale yellow) for topwater ,mainly use 20 and 30 lb green power pro for worming or jig(have a friend that uses ten pd for finesse,I just cant trust that),when 50-60 needed for frogging red cagin
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.