Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-08, 08:47 PM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Braided Line Scares Fish!!

Jst wanted to post you a message about what I witnessed today. I just recently boat a 7' medium heavy action rod with a Corardo 6.2:1 100D Baitcaster and applied 30lb Braid. This rod is specificaly set up for finess plastic fishing. I have had great luck with it until today. I could feel the Bass sick the bait in when my line was close to 150' out and the hook set was an easy wrist snap. My issue arised when I went out fishing this morning with another angler and we were throwing the same bait but I wasn't getting any hits. To make a long story sort I found out that when I fished semi-clear water the Bass could see my line but when I went to stained water I started getting hits. I then went back to clear and fished one spot for 10 minutes. Turned the boat and the other angler threw the exact same bait for 5 minutes and landed two fish. Just an FYI. I changed my line to the P-Line Flourocarbon 15lb. Any thoughts on this? Will I lose feel, my easy hook set, etc?

As always I appreciate it guys,

Mark
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 08:51 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Just use a fluoro leader in real clear water. That way you get the best of both worlds.
Old 07-13-08, 08:53 PM   #3
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

LOL Damn I already changed my line! Smart thinking
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 08:57 PM   #4
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I fish two lakes, one with about 10' and the other with about 14' visibility. In both lakes I've used braid and caught fish.

If it helps your confidence though, I'd use a leader or else go with mono/fluoro. Anyway, it is finesse, so why use braid?
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 09:50 PM   #5
Jim80

i have yet to run into the braid scares fish feeling . i currently fish with three poles two baitcasters and one spinning i have 30lb power pro on one and 20lb berkley fireline on the other in a smoke color and trilene big game mono on the spinning set up , all three have caught fish in clear and murky water . without me even thinking that the line has spooked the fish .
Old 07-13-08, 09:56 PM   #6
islandbass

Hopefully you didn't throw away the braid. It is still good.

It is a given that fish will readily see braid, but that doesn't mean that they won't hit. I was fishing a crankbait and it was followed until about 8' away from me and I paused. The bass was face to face with but couldn't care less about seeing me or the line. I witnessed the rising crankbait reverse direction as she flared her mouth open. She and I locked eyes. We were close enough that I could have tapped her nose with the tip of my rod if I wanted to.

Anyway, I was a newbie with braid at that time and didn't have any idea what was meant by nero zero stretch. I soon did. When I saw her mouth close in around the crankbait, I made the moves for the hookset as if it were mono. Braid's near zero stretch allowed me to do one thing... I ripped the lure out of her mouth before she could close her mouth around it. The lure shot right past my right ear. I didn't move because I knew it wasn't going to hit me (I have fast reflexes) and we stared at each other face to face and eye to eye for what seemed to be an eternity. Then, she nonchalantly turns to head back under the dock. She and a couple of other bass about the same size followed the cb about 5-6 times before I got the her to commit. I know they knew about the line, they definitely saw me, and yet they plum didn't care. They wanted that crankbait. Now there will be days where they will act as they did for you and others when they'll act like they did for me.
Old 07-13-08, 09:59 PM   #7
Fishbear
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

I fish "gin" clear drinking water reservoirs. I use braid, but I keep a 15-20 ft. fluorocarbon leader tied on for fishing plastics, or finesse fishing. I use a uni knot to splice it together.

I lose no sensitivity, and still can have all the advantages of braid.
Old 07-13-08, 10:15 PM   #8
WTL

Braided line does scare fish. When you hook a fish, they have a reason to be scared - the possibility of them breaking the line, one of the old ways a fish could get off, almost goes out the window. I dont blame fish for being scared at all.

I think there may be rare times it matters, but I was catching fish in the spring fed Santa Fe river in florida on 10 pound braid while my dad was using mono and he caught nothing. The water in the santa fe would probably have a visibility over 25 feet if it got that deep.
Old 07-14-08, 12:05 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Just use a fluoro leader in real clear water. That way you get the best of both worlds.
i agree with reb. i am not a big braid guy because i fish a lake that is very clear. i use flouro a lot on this lake and still have a ton of feel for what the bait is doing and what it's dragging accross. a leader is another way to go and still use braid. plus i imagine that the fish seeing the line isn't as big of a factor as we make it out to be, but i still use flouro in clear water because it takes this question out of my mind.
Old 07-15-08, 02:21 PM   #10
Fish2win

I use a flourocarben leader all the time. Just connect with a uni knot. It makes the bait less spooky plus ypu can break off if you want to. The only draw back I have is tha braid does not come in Florescent for night fishing. Fish2win
Old 07-15-08, 03:02 PM   #11
doc

Dont tell the 10+lb hog I caught this year that braid scares them please.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 03:41 PM   #12
cassidyta

I just put red powerpro 15lbs test on my bait caster yesterday. I am fortunate to work on a Marine base with a fish pond a mile from my office so I make it out there daily. The water has 15' visibility. I rigged up my heaviest jig just to test out the casting of the braid. Three casts later I landed my first of three fish without a mono leader. For me, I say no issues with the braid. I will be adding a leader for finesse fishing, but I had no issue with the fish geting line spooked.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 04:22 PM   #13
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Dont tell the 10+lb hog I caught this year that braid scares them please.
on a suspending jerk bait in REALLY clear water might i add...
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 03:17 PM   #14
Mensa
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mensa

I have a problem with my braid. I bought some the other day and put it on my rod, and when I test casted it the thing would go 10 feet. It wasn't coming off the reel hardly at all, and getting stuck on nothing it seemed. This was a spinner rod.
Mensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 05:48 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You may have the line dug into the spool. It happens mostly on baitcasters, but it can happen on spinning reels too. there's a couple ways to go about fixing it if that is the problem. One: pull on the line till it comes out and risk cutting your hand. Two:Tie the line to something solid (doorknobs work good), and open the bail and pull it out. three (also the one I use especially when fishing) Tie on a the heaviest weight you've got (1-2oz work good) and cast it out. The heavy weight should pull the line that's dug in out.

If you don't feel like cutting you're lure off, try this. Get a piece of wood (a 4" square if perfect) and take a 3/8 or 1/2 in drill bit, and drill about and inch or more down into the wood. Then carefully (it helps if you access to a band saw) cut the block so that the cut goes throught he middle of the hole you drilled. Next, place the two halves together, lining up the grooves, and place in a vice or in a couple of clamps. Get a snap swivel (a good one, not some cheapo one that'll break or open easy) Melt enough lead to fill the hole. CAREFULLY pour it in and stick the swivel part of the snap swivel into the lead. Make sure the free part (the snap) can rotate freely, if it can't you pushed it in too far). Take the block out of the vice/clamps after letting the lead cool (it may take a while because of how thick it is and because the wood doesn't allow the heat to escape real easily)

Now when you get braid diggin into the spool, clip this onto the line aboce your lure or someplace on the lure where it won't slip off (the line tie perhaps)

Hope this helps.

BB
Old 07-17-08, 09:21 AM   #16
Captmikestarrett

A good trick for gin clear waters is a flouro leader but the knot now becomes the weak point.

SOLUTION: Take out your handy Spike it marker and spot the line to camo it. Black and red spots till it is gone. About two feet is all that is needed.

This is a snook trick learned down in the flats of Fl.

Capt Mike
Old 07-17-08, 10:01 AM   #17
Lilmoosecountry

I'm not a fan of braid tried it did'nt like it. Same with flourocarbon.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 05:38 PM   #18
Bmuskin

I love braid on my spinning setups. I use mono on my baitcaster of the 14 pound variety and use the same test 14 lound but in braid on my spinning reel. I fish the scummy weedy craziness in small ponds that others ignore for the big water. I notice no difference between the 2 lines
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 12:31 PM   #19
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
Same with flourocarbon.
You got that one right!

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 06:37 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmuskin View Post
I love braid on my spinning setups. I use mono on my baitcaster of the 14 pound variety and use the same test 14 lound but in braid on my spinning reel. I fish the scummy weedy craziness in small ponds that others ignore for the big water. I notice no difference between the 2 lines
Yyou fishing with a reel taped to a stick?!?! If you can't notice the difference between braid and mono, then you're using one sucky azz braided line... (not saying that mono is bad, it just braid is A LOT different)

BB
Old 07-24-08, 10:58 AM   #21
Bmuskin

Ok let me rephrase I notice no difference in the bites or fish hookups between the 2 lines. I like spinning equipment with Braided. I am using a Daiwa team pro reel on a shimano Im7 rod and a Okuma Alumina on a Fenwick HMG rod. Works well on these.
I use 14 pound Mono for stained water and 17 pound flourocarbon for clear water on a Daiwa Megaforce on a All Star Medium Rod with fast action. I like the no stretch braided but I do like some stretch on topwater. As far as scaring fish no difference in what I can see. I just don't like the feel of Braided on a baitcaster.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 01:17 PM   #22
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

i fished clear water with 50 pound power pro seems fish just narrowed down on bait action.didn't care what line i had.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.