Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-12-11, 10:24 PM   #1
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Never say never--what do you use to cut a hook?

Well, I like several lures that have treble hooks, and am always careful when extracting them from fish, but the 3 lb LM I caught today got me! A fierce head thrashing despite a really good grip by me on him, drove the forward treble hook on a Rattletrap through my thumb. DAMN IT BOY!

It was a chore getting the fish off first--all three of the points on the rear treble were in his mouth at various points....I carry the Rapala Carbide Pro pliars, and a pair of Able's as well in my pack, well getting to the hook to cut it--had to push it through the rest of the way to get past the barb--was a real PITA, and with the Rapala's the cutter in the base of the jaws wouldn't cut the hook--brand new KVD treble by the way--and the Ables were simply too thick to get down to the curve in the hook to the cutters on those pliars....so...

Question is: What do you guys use to cut a HOOK when you need to? I'm figuring on putting some Klein sidecutters in my pack (and a backup pair in the truck) but just thought I'd ask...curiously enough, I was finally able to cut the hook with the smaller size pair of Carbide Pro pliars from Rapala that I had in my truck--the jaws are replaceable in those pliars, so I was hoping to find some new cutters for my larger pair--but that is a wild goose chase! At any rate, hope this never happens to anyone else--it isn't fun, like one of my friends says though, 'If your gonna be stupid, you better be tough!!'
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 10:49 PM   #2
Scott the fishman

a few times i had a treble down a fish's throat i sometimes take pliers and bend the hook straight and sometimes comes out. other times i cut the ring the ring that attaches to the lure.
Old 07-13-11, 12:35 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Man, that gives me the willies. I have never got a hook so deep I couldn't get out by pulling. And tell you the truth. If I get one deep enough to require something in my mouth to bite down on, I am going to the hospital. That's why I have insurance. I watched my grandpa almost loose his finger over digging a hook out and not cleaning it out good enough. I would rather let the professionals handle an extraction.
Old 07-13-11, 01:42 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

So far I have only had two hooks go in me past the barb *knock on wood*. One was in my finger on about my third cast of a big tournament and I was lucky enough that it went all the way through my finger and my partner was able to cut the point off and I backed it out, I was also lucky that I was still jacked up from the tourney takeoff so I didn't really feel any pain. The other one also happened in a big tournament, I went to cull a fish in the livewell and I kneeled down on a treble hook that my partner decided to throw on the back deck rather than in the trash. It went in my shin and honestly didn't hurt at all. It happened around 9:00 in the morning and I fished all day with it hanging out of my leg because I put enough weight on it to bend the two hooks I could see so I assumed I must have bent the one in my leg as well so pulling it out or forcing it through seemed like a bad idea. I ended up going to the ER that night after the weigh in and they numbed it and then forced it through, not once did the whole deal hurt at all. I do carry a pair of Kobalt side cutters from Lowes in my boat that I use to cut hooks if I need to.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 09:28 AM   #5
mrmuskie5

As you may have figured out from my screen name i fish for muskies and we throw BIG baits with BIG hooks sometimes when you hook a ski there just isnt any getting your hook out so i carry 8" bolt cutters. http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...ers-41146.html they are cheap and have came in handy many many times. not to mention cutting a hook out of my buddies scalp....not good. check em out they will cut any bass hook you can throw at em.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 06:39 PM   #6
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought a cheap pair of diagonal cutters from the local hardware store. I bought the pair with the spring as its easier to handle with one hand for obvious reasons!

For the ones with the hook deep, I use a piece of braid and pull it out. OUCH!
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 09:54 PM   #7
Fish30114

Yeah, shot in the arm and the arse today at the doctor, they told me I actually did a good job getting things out, but to be honest, I did have my friend take a yank against the grain (barb) which was not smart, and hurt like hell too! I had to force it the rest of the way through, which turned out was throuhg some bone and tendon--youch--still hurts! getting the shank of the hook cut was absolutely paramount, and for now I have two fresh pairs of Klein diagonal cutters in the truck/pack, and a couple of Rapala hook cutters on the way--may try to find a small enough pair of bolt cutters just because, but for this circumstance, they would have been very trick to have gotten to the hook with, and of course no way I could have done it solo, takes two hands for bolt cutters. I've tested the Klein's on the remnants of the hooks, they take some force for sure, but I can do it with one hand operating them--if it was a bigger hook, I'm sure a person wood need help, but the biggest hook I use I can handle solo for now....interesting feedback for sure!
Old 07-15-11, 09:40 AM   #8
Fish30114

I thought I would leave a little update, after looking around a lot on the web, it seems the 'best' handy device for cutting hooks and similar is a cutter from a company called Knipex. Lot's of online retailers for them. The spring loaded Model 71 12 200 is the one I chose to be my main unit, still have the Kleins on hand for backup or whatever.

The small bolt cutters that MRMUSKIE gave a link to are a good idea too, although in fondling similar ones at the hardware store, they are difficult to handle on your own if cutting a hook that was embedded where you only had the use of one hand as I did, but a good idea anyway! I can tell you it's worth paying attention and having something other than a regular pair of pliars!
Old 08-04-11, 11:15 AM   #9
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

Here is the ticket for cutting hooks. They also send an extra set of cutting inserts, which after 4 years I have not needed yet.
http://www.dbarb.com/whydbarb.html
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 08:04 PM   #10
Fish30114

Brown, that looks interesting, but it is hard to see much detail on the photos, and when I click the buy now tab, it sends me to a 'page missing' landing page.

Just found the active home page, would still like some more info, dimensions as an example, but it sure looks like it will cut a hook easily! I did buy two pair of the Knipex 8" cutters, and they work well, but it still takes some doing to cut a thick hook, like a superwire 5-0......

Last edited by Fish30114; 08-04-11 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 12:30 PM   #11
3dkicker

The 8" bolt cutters were used by the ER two weeks ago when they cut the hook in my leg. Not same brand but very similar. I should have gotten the name of the box of tools they used but everything they needed (3 tools total) was in the same small plastic box.

Wouldn't recommend cutting and pushing through on your own. Unless you know your anatomy and are sure that you won't damage nerves or blood vessals I'd say go ahead....but it took the doc 3-4 attempts to get mine through and that's with it numbed up.....
Old 08-06-11, 06:36 PM   #12
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

The DBarb cutters are long and the handles are covered right down to the head. They do deep hook cutting because the action is at the end of the cutters, so you can reach way down and cut the hook. They work great and you have a whole lot of leverage on the squeeze because of the way they are made.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 03:53 PM   #13
Fish30114

Good intel BrownHL, I like having good tools specific to the job at hand, so I will probably order a pair or two, I can say that the Knipex is pretty good, and saved a good shirt for my buddy Saturday! LOL
Old 07-12-12, 09:30 AM   #14
hunter34
BassFishin.Com Member

I have on one occasion had hook driven past the barb in my thumb it was a small
wire hook so I reached into my tackle box got my wire cutters pushed up through
my thumb cut the hook shank pulled out I only gritted my teeth for a moment
put a bandage on it went back to fishing
hunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 05:19 PM   #15
Dave63

The best pair of cutters you can afford.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 06:39 PM   #16
nobass

i also use wire cutters klienes to be exact i always try to push point through ands cut it off, first. if i can if not i cut the shank and use long pointed needle nose also liens and pull it through that way. works about 95% of the time
Old 07-13-12, 07:45 AM   #17
OkobojiEagle

I carry both the d-barb cutters and a good pair of side cutters but they have only been used helping other careless fishermen. I fish barbless.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 10:49 PM   #18
skeeter1804

I have had to use the string trick twice this year already and it worked great both times. A couple years ago I had to push one through and cut it with side cutters. Any good quality sharp side cutters will work fine.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 11:40 PM   #19
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Something like this:

The long handle allows me to get into a small fish's mouth when necessary.

For getting the hook out of you or somebody else the string erk method is supposed to work real well. Fortunately I have not has to use it-yet:

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knot...l-string-yank/
Old 07-16-12, 12:18 AM   #20
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I used a pair of dykes yesterday to cut through a gammy DS hook, granted it took two docs to get it to pop through. Tried myself, but it just wasn't happening.

I like the looks of those long handled ones Reb, I've had an issue here lately of the bass swallowing my hooks...2 did yesterday They lived though!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-12, 07:08 PM   #21
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
The best pair of cutters you can afford.

This has always been in the back burner of my mind as an essential tool to have handy when fishing. I have a pair that can easily cut hooks and I ought to be taking them with me on every outing.
Old 08-13-12, 04:11 PM   #22
Thornback

My fishing buddy made a bad cast and his lure hit me beside the head knocking my cap half off. I reached up to grab my cap, I grabbed the lure and he jerked the lure back. The treble hook scratched my neck, made a deep 3/8" long cut between my thumb and index finger, and put two hooks in my thumb past the barbs. I used a pair of Kobalt needle nose pliers with cutter to cut the two imbedded hooks free of the lure. I had to cut with my left hand and was surprised I had the strength to cut the hooks, but I was pumped. I had blood running down my neck and down my arm as I tried to remove one hook. I made up my mind the hook was coming out, whatever I had to do. No ER for me!!! Several times I had to dunk my hand in the lake to wash off the blood so I could see the angle of the hook. Suddenly the hook slipped out. Then I started working on the other hook. It took a little longer but suddenly it also slipped out. I wrapped my hand with gause and once home I drove over to my family doc and got an Rx for anti-biotics. My friend was beside himself and I actually felt bad for him. I told him not to beat himself up because it was an accident and in a month it would be healed over. Today you can't even see a scar. Glad I had those Kobalt needle nose pliers and first aid kit in the boat.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.