Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-16-12, 02:34 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Another drag question

Ok I didn't want to confuse anyone so I'm threading twice on same topic.
As always I refuse to take the easy route or simple route anywhere so as usual I researced drags. When will I learn to stay inside the box?

Now this is what a manufacturing rep said. Always loosen the drag after every outing. He said you should back them off to almost nothing nightly and reset the next day. Incidently it was a Shimano rep.
I'll confess, I don't think I ever undraged a reel other than when switching spools, if that counts.
I do store them long term with drags loose but not nightly.
I can barely remember where I parked my car, I'll never remember to readjust the drag every outing.

Now lastly, is this really just a spinning reel technique or concern or baitcasting too?

So what are your thoughts anglers?
Old 08-16-12, 02:58 PM   #2
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The advice is valid for both spinning and baitcasting reels, though I'd be surprised if you noticed any difference in drag performance either way provided you use your equipment weekly... or even monthly.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 03:03 PM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It's best to loosen the drags on any reel, anytime it will be stored for more than a few days. I wouldn't do it every day, but it might be the best way to remember it. Drags are a system of fiber washers and spring steel washers. Leaving them under constant pressure will flatten them out and then you will lose drag pressure and they will need replaced. You don't have to completly loosen them, just turn the knob back enough to where it's very easy to pull line off. Some reels can actually come apart inside if you loosen the star all the way.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 02:25 PM   #4
MIbasser

I loosen mine at the end of season. I know it's not the right thing to do, but it's worked for the past 5 years for me.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 02:36 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
It's best to loosen the drags on any reel, anytime it will be stored for more than a few days. I wouldn't do it every day, but it might be the best way to remember it. Drags are a system of fiber washers and spring steel washers. Leaving them under constant pressure will flatten them out and then you will lose drag pressure and they will need replaced. You don't have to completly loosen them, just turn the knob back enough to where it's very easy to pull line off. Some reels can actually come apart inside if you loosen the star all the way.
Is this also true for reels with carbon fiber washers? The vast majority of my reels that get used regularly have carbon fiber washers, either stock or upgraded. I would think they would be less likely to become damaged. I still loosen my drags after every trip though.
Old 08-17-12, 08:03 PM   #6
Marty

It's right to loosen drags (or other things that are under pressure when they won't be used for a while, such as bicycle tires). When I remember, and there are years when I forget, I loosen drags at the end of the season, but haven't had any problems either way.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 09:34 PM   #7
mike234

I usually try to loosen my drags after each fishing trip, but somtimes forget. The ones I leave tighten until nex trip I have had no problems with so far and most are Shimano's.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 10:39 AM   #8
bassinbob

Previous to hearing that you should loosen your drag I never did. I heard to do this a few years ago. I mostly try to remember to loosen but when I over run and tighten down the drag to do the thumb trick I forget a lot of times to loosen it. The funny thing is going out and not tightening the drag and catching a big bass. Now that's fun.
Old 08-18-12, 01:30 PM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
The funny thing is going out and not tightening the drag and catching a big bass. Now that's fun.
That's exactly why I have gotten in the habit of doing it after every trip. If I make a habit of it and I'm consistent with it, I'm far less likely to forget to set the drag on the next trip out. It's a weird feeling when you set the hook on a fish and the drag just spins.
Old 08-22-12, 03:27 PM   #10
DVT Mike

The spring washers are more of a concern than the fiber washers. I'd back them off during the off season but between trips in the summer is overkill. It certainly won't hurt anything though to loosen the drag if it gives some peace of mind.
Old 08-25-12, 03:21 AM   #11
Crankbait

I tell my guys to loosen them a little so it saves on the elasticity. Also helps your grease last longer! Know your reel
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 08:56 AM   #12
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

all thats there is a fiber and steel. i dont see anything being saved by loosening it. i never have and probably never will. and there is nothing about it to make grease last longer. actually grease would be the last thing youd want near it.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 09:01 PM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
all thats there is a fiber and steel. i dont see anything being saved by loosening it. i never have and probably never will. and there is nothing about it to make grease last longer. actually grease would be the last thing youd want near it.
You actually do grease carbon fiber washers, like Carbontex washers, it makes your drag smoother. There are other types of drags that you don't want grease or oil anywhere near.
Old 08-27-12, 11:47 AM   #14
DaveW731

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That's exactly why I have gotten in the habit of doing it after every trip. If I make a habit of it and I'm consistent with it, I'm far less likely to forget to set the drag on the next trip out. It's a weird feeling when you set the hook on a fish and the drag just spins.
I burned out the drag on a reel years ago and since then, I always loosen the drag after every trip. It has become so automatic that I have to think to NOT do it. Another benefit is that I of course always tighten it at the beginning of each trip and I am therefore confident that it is at the setting I want for that particular outing.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 07:23 AM   #15
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Fishing season never ends, so I dont do nothin. No problems. I dont have carbon drags though, I dont think.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.