Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-08-09, 10:54 AM   #1
pawpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinnerbait Blade Rotation

A few days ago I was watching a fishing show on TV where they were talking about a spinnerbait that had a "patented" counter rotating blades. I have never given it much thought but does anyone on the forum know something about this? Which direction do the blades on a spinnerbait turn and if you can make them turn in opposite directions, what makes it do that? I thought a blade was a blade. The only thing I can think of is the blade is probable cupped more on one site than the other. Any comments are appreciated.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 11:16 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pawpaw try this link for the booyah version of the spinnerbait

CLICK
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 11:24 AM   #3
pawpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea, JB. That must be the one that I saw. I understand the "weight backward" concept as described but I guess the manufacturer is not gonna tell you what makes the blades counter rotate since it is "patented". I can see how this will help stabalize the bait at higher speeds. If both blades are turning at max speed, it could cause the bait to "roll" if the weight on the head does not counteract it.
Old 01-08-09, 08:23 PM   #4
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I saw Hank Parker talk about this a few years ago, he said when you retrieve the spinnerbait to pop the rod tip til you feel more vibration then the blades are rotating opposite of each other, he called this chiming the blades.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 06:23 PM   #5
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Excalibur was the first I heard of counter rotating spinnerbaits. I didn't see where they worked any better than a Fleck or Hart snipers back then.

I use the Lucky Strike Rick Clunn spinnerbait. The blades are weighted, called a long drop blade.These really thump. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 08:58 PM   #6
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To make the blades spin opposite of each other, you need one of the blades from the US and the other one from Australia.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 09:04 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahaha good un there f&g!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 03:36 PM   #8
Bill@SOBLures
BassFishin.Com Member

The "Weight Backward" has nothing at all to do with the counter rotating blades. It is merely a means to add more weight to a smaller head. Too bad the don't take the time to really balance the weight system out.

If you will look real closely at the images on the site that JB provided for paw-paw, you will see what makes the blades counter rotate. Look at the hole at the top of the blade where the blade connects to either the clevis or the swivel. The holes are offset opposite each other. You could do the same thing by drilling a smaller hole on opposite sides of the holes that are already in your blades.

There may not be much room on the clevis blade to drill a hole large enough for the clevis to pass through, but there should be no problem drilling a hole small enough to pass the split ring wire on the swivel for the larger (rear) blade.

GL&GF,
Bill@SOBLures
Bill@SOBLures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 10:12 AM   #9
pawpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Bill for the explanation!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.