Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-09, 11:29 PM   #1
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Mental or physical

Ok, heres the deal. I have absolutly no luck(catch some but not what i think I should) with the carolina rig, however i have great luck(starting to become a go to bait) by pegging a weight 1-2 foot up on t-rigs. Sort of a car-rig without the swivel and beads. Do you think this is mental or physical?
LubbockFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 11:32 PM   #2
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I cant C-Rig either , but I can split shot like a pro....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 11:33 PM   #3
cassidyta

I think the answer is YES.

You are getting a different action with your set up. Additionally, you now have a line that does not have as much give in it as a normal Carolina rig. I believe you will feel the fish a little better on your rig but may not cover as much area.

Of course, there is a lot to be said for confidence and the mental part. I would think that you fish that rig more because you trust in it. If it is only 25% more than the C-rig it means that you have it in the water 25% more and have more opportunities.
Old 01-14-09, 05:39 AM   #4
pig_n_jig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You probably are getting bites with the carolina rig.You probably aren't used to feeling the bites that come on a carolina rig.That is why your feeling the smaller fish, they tend to thump the lures.A biggger fish is more subtle. A slight tick is all you'll feel at most, usually just see your line swimming off. P N J
Old 01-14-09, 04:56 PM   #5
pig_n_jig

You really need a 3 ft. leader or more for carolina rigging.I know its a pain in the butt having the longer leader, but it will increase your bite ratio.
You also need to PM someone who knows more about it.I am entry level but I am going to do a whole lot more this summer. P N J
Old 01-14-09, 05:11 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i would agree that you are probably getting bites on the carolina rig but not feeling them. like pnj said, most of the time it will just feel heavy or kinda mushy.
Old 01-14-09, 06:04 PM   #7
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

The worst part around here is the mesquit trees.EVERYWHERE. And the pegged weight seems to just work better around them. Dont know if its the size sinker or the fact that it will slip some if it gets caught up. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-14-09, 08:10 PM   #8
abu4600

Ithink its probably more mental because you have discovered a rig that works for you and you have confidence in it.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 03:37 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

there are situations where certain rigs just work better than others. congratulations on making adjustments until you found something a little different that what everyone else is doing and it's even better that it is working for you. you will probably find another scenerio someday where a carolina rig will work better but fishing is all about adapting and finding something a little different than what everyone else has shown the fish.
Old 01-15-09, 08:32 AM   #10
The Doc

I'm the same way. I have barely used the C-rig, but my partner this year for the tournaments uses em all the time, so I gotta (being the non-boater) adapt my fishing style for the year. I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 01-15-09, 10:31 AM   #11
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm not by any means a hard core C-Rig fisherman. It's a technique I really don't like throwing all that much, as I find it cumbersome and awkward to cast using a baitcaster. But I do use it in the summertime when I'm looking for deeper fish along creek channels or deep flats. You just can't beat it for covering a lot of water in a controlled manner.

For those that are having problems, make sure you work your C-Rig with your rod with a side arm movement. Same for the hookset. As others have already said, feeling or knowing you've got a bite isn't all that easy. What I've done is go to my standard line: 30 lb Braid/Carolina rig/3 Ft leader of 12-17 lb mono. I can feel everything, and with the no stretch of the braid, the sidearm hookset is easy. It doesn't need a monster hookset to set the hook. Also the Mono or whatever you use for a leader is a lot more abrasive resistant then the braid which simply isn't.
Old 01-15-09, 04:31 PM   #12
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

If the water is clear i use a mojo weight pegged. I think that the profile of the rig is too much. Like pnj said try a longer leader too.
Old 01-15-09, 04:56 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

a lot of guys will tie a carolina rig so that they use a jig in place of the weight. the theory is that a lot of times a bass will hit the weight which i can believe because of the noise it creates. the jig will give you one more bait in the water. i have done this and have caught fish doing it but for some reason i have gotten away from it.
Old 01-15-09, 05:16 PM   #14
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been using 20lb braid with 12lb leader with either mono or floro depending if i want it on the bottom or not. I think my problem might be the weight of the c-rig. I may try it with 1/2 or 3/4 weights this year.Have been using 1 ounce. Thinks for all the info guys.
Old 01-15-09, 05:16 PM   #15
cassidyta

I will use jigs at the bottom of my drop shots from time to time. It has worked for me in the past. Like C-rig, I am not sure why I stopped doing it.
Old 01-16-09, 09:47 AM   #16
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
a lot of guys will tie a carolina rig so that they use a jig in place of the weight. the theory is that a lot of times a bass will hit the weight which i can believe because of the noise it creates. the jig will give you one more bait in the water. i have done this and have caught fish doing it but for some reason i have gotten away from it.
What a great idea. I'm trying to understand how you do this and keep the jig in a parallel line to the C-rig. Seems to me that it will be facing 90 degrees away from the C-rig. Just how do you tie this one up ? Also, wouldn't this method constantly pull the jig on its side as you move the rig forward with your rod ?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.