Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-08-09, 03:29 PM   #1
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Crankin mods

Is there anything that you guys do to your cranks before fishing them, or do you just toss them as is straight out of the package? I replace all the circular split rings on my cranks with oval shaped ones.
Old 01-08-09, 03:35 PM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not really a mod, but take a dremell and etch the running depths on the bills. Once I got boxes of baits it was hard for me to remember.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 03:47 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i always cast them for the first time and watch how true they run, if the go left or right I bend the metal piece on the bill that holds the split ring.
Usually I group crankbaits in groups of how far they will run deep. The shallow ones in my plano goes up front and the deeper ones go towards the back.
Most guys I fish with group them in colors I've noticed. Either way works!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 04:03 PM   #4
Mac2

Bandits get a longer shanked hook on the back....something I read on this board a few weeks ago...I think the tip was Zooker's. At any rate, I've switched mine all out. I've lost a lot of fish on Bandits and am sure this will help.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 04:05 PM   #5
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

I try to replace most of my trebles with longer shank hooks.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 04:38 PM   #6
woody

I always check and see if my hooks are sharp by dragging them across the top of my thumb nail.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 08:00 PM   #7
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Bandits get a longer shanked hook on the back....something I read on this board a few weeks ago...I think the tip was Zooker's. At any rate, I've switched mine all out. I've lost a lot of fish on Bandits and am sure this will help.
*does a happy dance* mac2 lernt something..lol...

have ya lost any fish since switching to the longer hook??

me neither..

zooker
Old 01-08-09, 08:35 PM   #8
pig n jig

How techincal do want this to get ?

I always take time to take them to the shallow lake with the gradual tapering bottoms on a calm flat water day. I check them for running straight , tune them if need be,then figure out what depth it actually will run by cranking different depths of the gradual sloping contour and using the depthfinder to verifyits approximate depth.I mark it with a color coding sequence using a sharpie pens on the bottom of the bill. I go so far as to mark the tail section for fish it catches starting with light color to darker as the count go and another individual dot if it scored a better than average fish(which dosen't happen that often)

The problem is it doesn't work as well as the system should because I have more crap than I could possibly use and I tend to gravitate towards the fish catching cranks which continues to get better as the other cranks sit idle in the box.Perhaps there is a much better bait waiting to be fished but I am not the sharpest hook in the pack at times. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 08:56 PM   #9
abu4600

I will take a red sharpie and color the eyes red.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 08:59 PM   #10
CMorg

I attach a swivel and small blade to the bottom side of the bill , oh wait , thats the JLV lures , and theres one on Maximum Exposure...

http://www.bassfishin.com/exposed/jlvlures-bladed-shad/
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 02:13 PM   #11
mont_lunker_hunter

I also throw them a couple times to see what they need, but sounds like i tinker more than most!! I shave the front and sides of bills, sand sides, sand noses, tune one left, tune one right, and paint it what ever color i need to.
Old 01-09-09, 03:17 PM   #12
Mac2

An option to the longer shank hook on the rear is to add one extra split ring between the body and the hook. This flexible addition is cheaper than buying new hooks and makes it hard for a flailing fish to get leverage against the lure body. This can also be done on the front hook, but will surely tangle the hooks occasionally.
Old 01-09-09, 03:22 PM   #13
Mac2

Some of the Heddon Torpedo baits get painted with nail polish. There's a particular off red called Mango that turns them on in the early spring to early summer. It's the Pro Brand polish at Sally Beauty Supply. Just paint the entire body including the eyes. I strongly suspect this would work on zara spooks and other topwaters as well.
Old 01-09-09, 03:35 PM   #14
JB

mac
this pretty close to the color?

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 05:28 PM   #15
basstech

Some I throw straight out of the box, others i replace hooks on, and still others I completely strip, re-weight, seal-prime-repaint, may change hardware depending on practicallity. Other than that, no, I don't modify cranks.
Old 01-09-09, 05:58 PM   #16
pig n jig

I draw a pail of water at 62 degree temperature and use suspend dots or drill and weight cranks to suspend.I want them to rise slowly in the pail when dropped in.Rapala risto raps were my favorite to drill and weight but I done alot of poes and bagleys as well.I used tungstun tig welding rod the last few I done.The baits get a shimmy-wobbling effect from the tungstun weight inserted through the wood body elongated.They are going to be killer right after ice out. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.