Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-25-04, 08:50 PM   #1
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15
Default Being new to tournaments!

I am getting ready for a tourny. What are some of the basics I need to have to be ready for this tourny. How many rods, rigged with what? What should I have already in my tackle box. My first one is in Feb, so I have this wonderful winter down time to get ready. Any advice would be helpful.

Travis
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 08:57 PM   #2
Mr.Snagsalot
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Snagsalot
Default Re: Being new to tournaments!

you shouldnt have to use like 20 rods and reels just different rods for different tactics of fishing if ya dont have enough rods and reels just pick one rod and reel and switch every once and awhile but how long do ya fish at a tourney and if ya go pick yer best rod and reel most of the time youll have experienced fisherman already there but youll need to switch spots every 5- 10 min. atleast i do and i havent gone bad are you a boater or non-boater im both occasionally, and it also depends on the weather youre having on the day of the tourny if ya wanna know specific things just ask
Mr.Snagsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 09:49 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Firstly, bring as many rods and reels that you feel comfortable bringing and don't think will clog up the boat. Say you had six rods, you might want a spinner on one, a jig on the other, crank on one, t-rig on one, c-rig on one, and then have one with a topwater. Theres a bunch of different ways to fish, you can fish a certain hole all day, my friend got 2nd in a tourney doing that in a canal. You can have a list of various places to go and go to each and stop and fish for a litle while. Or you can be a complete pattern angler and go all over covering as much area as you can and fishing only spots where you think the bass should be in that particular situation.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 09:58 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

trav, it depends-are you in your boat or the back seater in another? If it is your boat, well, it is your boat so take what you think you would need. If you are in someone else's boat I'd talk to them and get their input. If I was the back seater I wouldn't take more than 6 rods. Feb? The water will be cold, so I would go with a jig-n-pig, a suspending jerkbait and a jigging spoon or tailspinner like a Little George.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 10:30 PM   #5
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

With the tournament being in Febuary, make sure you dress for the cold. There's no worse feeling than being on the water with your hands and toes numb from the cold.

Try to pre-fish as much a possible within a week of the tournament. When you find fish mark them with your GPS.

One thing that I used to do when I raced cars was to keep good notes. The same thing applies to bass fishing. Keep notes on the time of day, depth, water clarity, air temp, water temp, type lure, color, retrieve, etc. when you catch fish. In the future you can go back to your notes and see what worked in certain conditions.

Good Luck!
Anthony
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 10:50 PM   #6
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

To start off with...I will be a back seater, for I don't own a boat. The other complication I will run into is that fact that I won't meet my partner till like the day before the tourney. Thats where my question is based.
Old 11-26-04, 03:40 PM   #7
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

What you do then is to ask the boater what he plans on throwing and where. Often times that alone can clue you in on what to use and what not to use.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 03:57 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Big_Bad_Trav link=board=MessBoards;num=1101426645;start=0#5 date=11/25/04 at 20:50:07]To start off with...I will be a back seater, for I don't own a boat. The other complication I will run into is that fact that I won't meet my partner till like the day before the tourney. Thats where my question is based.[/quote]

Did you join a club or is this an OPEN tournament you got into ??? If it's with your club, surely there are a few seasoned veterans in the club who can give you an idea of what works during that time. I know many folks are tight lipped about things with tournaments, however there are also a lot of folks who would be more than happy to help you out, and give you some pointers. It's really tough for me or anyone else to say what will work on that body of water(especially not knowing the water). I guess we could all give what we think might be good options, but if it's a real clear lake, vs a chocolate milk colored lake, the baits I choose would be very different indeed. I hope someone can help you a little more, but as already stated I would prefish it as much as possible the week b4 the tournament, even from shore you might hit the pattern that you need to win the tournament Good luck, and let us know how you did. And try not to go to nuts b4 it arrives.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 05:37 PM   #9
John_Cullum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to John_Cullum

I usually have 10 rods, all rigged with different lures i feel might work. Make sure everythings in working order, three times. My second tournament i forgot trailer hooks, the only thing, and turns out i really needed one. Goes to show ya
John_Cullum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 08:46 PM   #10
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

I am going to fish with the BFL league this year. I contractor of mine talked me into it. I am going for the experience, and for the fishing. I have only got 5 rods. Three of which are baitcasters, and two of which are open face. I have one flippin/pitchin rod. And the other two can be pretty flexible. Same with the open face, both of which are 7ft long, and medium heavy action. I was also looking for the basic stuff to have in my box. I know hooks, weights, and worms are a definate, but what else.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.