Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 221 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-08, 12:37 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Medium Light Action ?

What is a medium light action rod good for ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 12:45 PM   #2
pig n jig

Senkos,flukes, 1/4 oz. rattle traps, small crankbaits, topwater baits, worms, small jigs and drop shot rigs.

Why do you ask ?
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 01:00 PM   #3
pig n jig

and shakey heads as well as weightless plastics.

Still wondering why you ask ?
Old 12-21-08, 01:05 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

shakey heads..

zooker
Old 12-21-08, 01:06 PM   #5
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

trout fishing
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 01:08 PM   #6
ky southern

im gonna go with lowrider here,i had a medium lite bionic blade and it was just too lite for my way of bass fishing.i was thinkin crappie rod,crappie jigs and roadrunners.
Old 12-21-08, 01:20 PM   #7
CMorg

I ask because I am looking for a crankbait rod , and I shop around alot this time of year , I found a good name brand of rods on clearance but they only have a 7'6" ML rod and wondered if it would be good for cranking or to look for something else.
Old 12-21-08, 01:34 PM   #8
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I ask because I am looking for a crankbait rod , and I shop around alot this time of year , I found a good name brand of rods on clearance but they only have a 7'6" ML rod and wondered if it would be good for cranking or to look for something else.
Not sure about deep cranks but yes as a rule a ML action will allow better hookup as it allows the fish to take the lure but you have enough power to set the hook.I sort of disagree on it being to light for bass fishing, no your not going to pull bass out of thick weed mats but if your fishing open water, the rod length will wear the fish down to boat it.It will work to your advantage when the bite is soft or off, your hooking percentages will increase because of the less resistance the fish will feel when using a softer action rod. Funny you mentioned that because I was looking at a Powell 7'6" ML on sale.Its screaming in the back of my mind but money is sort of tight right now......with no let up anytime soon either. Ivan
Old 12-21-08, 01:36 PM   #9
CMorg

So your saying that you would use a ML action for cranking. Maybe I oughta get this thang....
Old 12-21-08, 04:38 PM   #10
islandbass

Quote:

Small to medium cranks with little cover ML would be fine and topwaters too IMHO.

Medium Light can also be good for Drop Shotting. Medium Light does not necessarily mean wimpy either.
Old 12-21-08, 05:39 PM   #11
CMorg

Alright Island , I fish cover alot with cranks , so I think I will just look for a M to MH for my crankbait rod.
Old 12-21-08, 06:54 PM   #12
quenston
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Me personally I use the ML action with crappie and white bass but that is just me.
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 06:58 PM   #13
ky southern

here is my moto with rods,although many may disagree.if the lure has treble hooks or more than one i go medium action,with a single hook i go med heavy to heavy.think of lure hook size when deciding which rod.this is just my opinion.
Old 12-21-08, 07:43 PM   #14
Joel

The only ML rod I have is on my Drop Shot rig.

For weightless plastics I use a MH with a fast tip. I want plenty of backbone to help set the hook.

A ML rod just doesn't have enough backbone for cranking all but the shallowest of running crankbaits. Even Rattle Traps will over power the rod and cause excess vibration that will cause your wrist to become a shock absorber. And hook sets will require just too much of a mushy sweeping action, with the end result being missed fish.
Old 12-21-08, 09:10 PM   #15
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
And hook sets will require just too much of a mushy sweeping action, with the end result being missed fish.
just set the hook, your not very likely to break the rod.It may be very forgiving in the upper end of the rod but it has power built in the lower rod section.These newer rod blanks are progressive built blanks.They can feature a soft tip to throw lighter weight lures but they have plenty of power in the lower half of the rod blank to set a treble hook into a fish, submerged tree limb or what ever you decide to set the hook on. Lmao......... Ivan
Old 12-22-08, 12:58 PM   #16
BassAddict

I have a ML BPS Cranking Stick and it's one of my favorite set ups. I use it for shallow to medium crankbaits. I will bury the crank into logs, brush, you name it with no troubles. I use a 5.4:1 BPS Extreme reel spooled with either 10-15# BPS Fluoro or FloroClear Pline. I've landed bass up to 6 1/2 lbs. on this set up with no problems. I can also throw lighter cranks a mile with that rod. I wouldn't shy away from a ML rod at all for shallow cranking. I'm going to get the same set up with either a M-MH rod for deeper cranking this Spring.
Old 12-22-08, 05:32 PM   #17
islandbass

Quote:
Alright Island , I fish cover alot with cranks , so I think I will just look for a M to MH for my crankbait rod.
That is cool.

I have an ML rod that works great for the shallow shallow and mid cranks, but I am thinking of filling the "crankbait" rod niche of my arsenal that can rip baits through the grass and weeds with authority. If this is also what you are looking for and you find it, let me know.

The BPS CB rods that Bass Addict brought up seem to be quite popular among those that own one and I have not seen a bad review of one yet. They really seem like a deal when they go on sale too. The thing for me is the closest BPS is over 1000 miles away and I dislike paying for shipping cost and worse yet, not being able to hold it in hand.

Either that or I go with my favorite rod company, Lamiglas, but I think they're a little more than I am willing to pay for a CB rod.

http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=34
Certified Pro Fiberglass Rods for Crankin'

http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=38
Skeet Reese Crankbait Rod

Tackle Tour Review of Skeet Reese Rod
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlamiglas705.html
Old 12-23-08, 12:18 AM   #18
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky southern View Post
here is my moto with rods,although many may disagree.if the lure has treble hooks or more than one i go medium action,with a single hook i go med heavy to heavy.think of lure hook size when deciding which rod.this is just my opinion.
Same here with one exception: For big, deep cranks-i.e. a DD-22-I use a MH action. I found a Falcon Cara rod designed for the big crankbaits on clearance. Turned out to be a great move on my part.
Old 12-23-08, 11:43 AM   #19
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

I have two m/lite spinning. 7' StCroix and 6'8 Powell. Use mine for light plastic applications wacky , drop shot lite T rig stuff. Also throw a spinner bait on the Powell extra /fast action tip. Have a 6'6' m/f Gloomis and Shimano Crucial 7'rod med/med fast action crank rod. My immediate take I would go the med power rod with a moderate or medium fast tip. But reading some of the prior posts Im learning something that some are using the med/lite and like them. When I researched like you did before I got my Shimano seemed like most were using med power rods. You can go into tacklewarehouse.com and easily research some rods you might think suitable.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 04:22 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I had a 7' ML Cabelas fish eagle II rod. Couldn't use it for much to it and the Dremel had a little meeting. Not I've got a Nice 6' M(about) topwater rod.

BB
Old 12-23-08, 04:33 PM   #21
jig fisherman

thanks for asking that question CMorg because i was thinking of getting one for wacky rigging,cranks, dropshots and small worms
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 04:36 PM   #22
jig fisherman

also, is it better to have a long or short rod?
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 02:54 AM   #23
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig fisherman View Post
also, is it better to have a long or short rod?
Shorter rods will be more convenient to use in close and tight quarters.

Longer rods will afford you more line control and leverage and somewhat increased csting distance if that is needed.

For Drop Shotting in the conditions I fish which are wide open else I underhand cast, I prefer the length of 7'. It is the best blend of line control, castibility, leverage and weight. I know there are even longer DS rods out there, but think the extra length just makes the rod heavier.
Old 12-24-08, 10:39 AM   #24
CMorg

Im glad I asked that question too..somehow , I am understanding action ratings on rods alot better now. Thanks all..
Old 12-24-08, 02:18 PM   #25
Raul

A ML BOMB !:

Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.