Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-16-04, 03:08 PM   #26
killmatik
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to killmatik
Default Re: i cant catch a darn thing on a jig

I had dreams about jig fishing last night due to this topic. It was a lot of fun and it made me want to go back to sleep
killmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 03:24 PM   #27
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
is there any acceptable way to fish a jig off the Â*banks of a lank or pond?
Boat, bank, it doesn't matter. Â*The key is to throw it around cover. Â*One of the biggest bass I have caught on a jig came throwing it into a brushpile that washed up under a bridge due to flooding. Â*I threw it up onto the brushpile, pulled it off into the water and the fish hit as it was falling. Â*You don't need a boat-just suitable cover.

Forgot to say I was standing on the bank fishing in a dammed up creek.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 02:48 AM   #28
bassguy2004

Right Reb, cover is key. Structure doesn't hurt either. Big rocks, creek channels, drop offs anything like that will hold fish at sometime or another. If it looks fishable, fish it.
Old 09-17-04, 08:33 AM   #29
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1095106525;start=0#9 date=09/13/04 at 19:40:45]Guys, I threw jigs for literally years before I caught one on a jig-I'm talking a jig-n-pig here, not a lead head with a grub-caught a bunch on those. It's my go-to bait for cold water and for wood. With one exception every bass I have caught on a jig-n-pig came 1) as the lure was falling and 2) in and around wood-brushpile, flooded tree, etc. I even caught a 20lb flathead out of a flooded tree on a jig-n-pig earlier this year. It wasn't until the last couple of years that I started to get consistent with a jig. Once you get that first bass you will get confidence in them and catch more fish on them. Keep chunking, fellas-you WILL eventually get bit. Right, Lizards ?[/quote]

Right ,

Heres my take on the PNJ, they WILL CATCH FISH. However if you don't like them, and don't have confidence in them, you won't use them for long or with multiple techniques. I've seen too many folks(myself included) that struggle to catch anything on them or even get a bite. Skeeter covered part of the problem, and the other problem is throwing it. If you've bass fished for anytime at all, you know the more you throw your bait in the more likely it's is to get bit. I finally caught my first bass on one after about 4 months of fishing it. I would throw it religiously everytime I went out. But I didn't spend much time with it till I caught my first fish on it. I caught it throwing it on some submerged timber and just walking it through the timber. Now I know I can catch them, and have had some really decent days with the PNJ. I suggest to all of those that are struggling to do these 3 things. 1) Get your favorite color(not black and blue unless that's your favorite color mine is green pumpkin). 2)Then throw it out to places you've caught fish before 3) Work it just like you would a weighted t-rigged plastic. Once you catch a couple it will turn for you, it always does. This is basically how I caught my first few. This was after thinking it's crap, it doesn't work, it's just not any good in this lake etc... But the problem was ME not the PNJ. When your slowing down from fishing hard, and are just catching your breath, throw a PNJ and work it back, it can't hurt.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 10:25 PM   #30
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Ok guys, I read, I looked at pictures (thanks Dave) but I was out for about 5-6 hours today and did not catch sh**. I have 5 jigs, all different colors from red to brown even got green,orange,black, etc. I fished them in cover, I fished them at dropoffs- going up and down, I fished the cattails the rocks, hell I even through one at an alligator or two. No fish ,no hits. I fished them sloooooow, I popped my tip sometimes at ten sometimes at thirty seconds. Love my power pro now that Im using it- felt everything on the bottom. Guys I need something here. I even went to the areas I normally fish pretty hard w/ success and still nothing. I want to be comfortable with all aspects of this wonderful thing we call bassin, but man my jigs are about to get thrown out. Just so you know I had a pork trailer on for awhile, then got creative. Ripped the claws off my artificial crawdad, put a grub tail on, pulled the spinner tail off a worm (close to the jig color) and threw it as is. Just so you know I had overcast morning, rain on and off throughout entire day and sunshine to end it before the afternoon monsoon ran me off the lake at 4:00. HELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 11:08 PM   #31
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Well a big cold front moved by today so the fishing probably sucked anyway.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 11:13 PM   #32
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i've got a ? im gettin ready to start using a jig i got free shaky head jigs off the internet and i saw on davew article a skirt type thing on the jig how do i get those and how do i keep them on also what is a trailer ??? thanks
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 11:47 PM   #33
njsurf
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to njsurf

Nick,
For years I tried to fish a jig but came up short, just a few every now and then, When I first started fishing tournaments, It seemed like a lot of guys threw jigs exclusively. I couldn't get it, until I forced myself to throw a jig. That was the only bait I took until I was able to catch them on a consistent basis.
I would suggest a middle weight jig, about 3/8oz. that way it's not too heavy to detect a bite or get hung up and it's not too light so it will make good contact with the bottom.
since you are fishing from the bank I would try to target logs and trees and points that I could make a cast to - that would be from a simular angle as if fishing from a boat.
I have also found that the Power Jigs work better for me starting out - since fish would hold on to them longer. and I could detect a bite.
I like a green pumpkin or a black blue combo.
Don't give up on them, Once you've mastered them you'll find you catch a much better quailty fish than with most baits.
njsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 11:48 PM   #34
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

This is a jig head, skirtless

This is a jig, they have skirts.

This is a trailer, you throw it on the back of a jig to add some appeal to it and make it look like something

and a pork trailer, better in colder water

Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 01:20 PM   #35
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

thanks for the pics but can u buy a jig with the skirt already on it ???also how do u put the trailer on.thanks
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 01:57 PM   #36
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

lol
i fell in love with jigs 1st 1 i ever casted bam 6 lber lol
3 casts later bam 2lber
i caught 7 fish in about an hour anda half
well .............
year later aint caught another 1 onna jig but i still love em lol
i been wormin my bass to deathi literaly have gallon siplocks of redshad,blacks,greens,all colored worms i have diff color in every bag bunch of shapes
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 02:02 PM   #37
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

An article was written years ago in Bassmaster that has helped me out several times. It was called "How to master a new technique."

If it is JNP you are having trouble with, do this.

Take a handful of them, in a variety of colors and sizes, along with a variety of trailers, and fish ONLY them,EVERY time you go out, Till you dial in the right combo. Try them on different rod/reels to see what works best for you.Do this till you catch fish.It takes disipline, but you can do it.

You can fish them anywhere you would throw a T-Rigged worm, and if I cast them, instead of flip and pitch them, I will hop them 6 inches, as opposed to 12 or so for worms. Shorter hops.

Also, ,Use the ones with rattles. When it settles in/near the cover, let it sit. Simply shake the rod tip to rattle it. Don't move it forward. Then, slowly hop it a little, then shake it again.Also works when Flippin/Pitchen.

If the bass are aggressive, I have even caught fish Swimmin a jig. Just throw it out and reel it in like you would a spinnerbait. Don't laugh,it works.

As far as favoriet color, I like solid Blue.Try to throw something in a slightly different color than everyone else is throwing.

I like a 3/8oz. 75% of the time. Heavy enough for feel, but light enough it falls better.

Charles

BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 02:02 PM   #38
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

yes jigs have skirts already on them jig heads are for grubs or other soft plastics but u can put skirts on them but u can buy jigs with skirts on them
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 06:20 PM   #39
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1095106525;start=25#34 date=09/21/04 at 12:20:09]thanks for the pics but can u buy a jig with the skirt already on it ???also how do u put the trailer on.thanks[/quote]

You put the trailer on the hook with the tail end or claws(if crawfish style of trailer being used) away from the head of the jig. I'm sure one of the computer guru's can post a picture of it, it is very simple and basic. If using a chunck or crayfish/crawdad type trailer, just put the meat of it on the center of the hook.

Lizards
Old 09-21-04, 08:59 PM   #40
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lizard
that is all fine and good but .
i have tryed a pnj a long time. i went with a 3/8oz pumkin jig-strike king-with either a pumkin super chunk-zoom-or a pumkin wooley hawg tail-yum-. i have fished it in a place that i have caught bass before.-12 trees laying in and around a creek channel in 10 feet of water-i have fished it with a pnj and got nothing but yet when i worked a worm through it i caught fish -i worked the pnj like i did the worm.

now oh guru of the jig why can't i catch a bass on a pnj...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 10:13 PM   #41
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1095106525;start=25#39 date=09/21/04 at 19:59:55]lizard
that is all fine and good but .
i have tryed a pnj a long time. i went with a 3/8oz pumkin jig-strike king-with either a pumkin super chunk-zoom-or a pumkin wooley hawg tail-yum-. i have fished it in a place that i have caught bass before.-12 trees laying in and around a creek channel in 10 feet of water-i have fished it with a pnj and got nothing but yet when i worked a worm through it i caught fish -i worked the pnj like i did the worm.

now oh guru of the jig why can't i catch a bass on a pnj...

zooker [/quote]

Well now we both know I'm no Guru with a Jig Why you can't catch any is probably a good story for all of those who have tried a PNJ, and not much success. I fished it for awhile b4 getting a bite. I think if you keep throwing it you will catch fish. The first one you catch will tell you how to present it, usually it happens as an afterthought. Heres what happened on the 1st and 2nd bass I caught on it. I was fishing with creekgeek at the coal pit. I had caught some but nothing great, and I wanted to let creekgeek have the first shot at a beaver house. So I picked it up, and LEISURELY started throwing it out approx 20 from shore paralell to the bank, where I know there was some timber, down about 10' or more. I got it to the bottom, and started just slowly woring it up and over the timber, with some pauses. BAM I got a bite set the hook, and had my first one in the boat. I really wasn't expecting a fish to bite, I was just kinda relaxing. So WOW now I know they will bite it. I kept throwing it, and was fishing a weedline with about 4'-5' again casting out paralell to the shore, and BAM another hit, and another fish to the boat. Ask creekgeek to confirm, because he was there. After that I fished it a lot more(theres the key now isn't it). About 3 weeks later I was using it towards 11am, since the fishing was slow, and boy did it pick up in a hurry, I caught probaly 5 in a hour plus several missed. I fish it all kinds of ways, I hop it, I drag it, I wiggle the rod tip to get the rattles working. Now I will not hesitate to throw one, is it my first bait of choice, no, but if what I'm using isn't working, I know I can pull out the PNJ and work it. I would also like to say about the same thing happened when I used senko's for the first time. I caught several fish quickly after the other baits weren't working. Which tells me it was just the right bait at the right time. I rarely throw senko's anymore, but if nothing else is working I will.

Lizards
Old 09-22-04, 07:21 AM   #42
socalbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to socalbasser

Quote:
Also, ,Use the ones with rattles. When it settles in/near the cover, let it sit. Simply shake the rod tip to rattle it. Don't move it forward. Then, slowly hop it a little, then shake it again.Also works when Flippin/Pitchen.
Bassboss,

I agree with all you wrote except maybe the little piece above. I'd use a jig with no rattles if I was fishing clear water (which is a lot of what I fish). I think the rattles work to your disadvantage when the water is gin clear. All other times, rattles most defintely. Just my Opinion.

Skeeter
socalbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-04, 11:19 PM   #43
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
thanks for the pics but can u buy a jig with the skirt already on it also how do u put the trailer on.thanks
Most jigs for use as jig-n-pig come with skirts. Rigging them:

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 04:21 AM   #44
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

Well its probably not the way you are working the Jig its probably WHERE you are working the jig try working it around banks/rocks/tree's/brush work it slow pop it a lot
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.