Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-24-13, 05:41 PM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default What should I have tied on Saturday morning?

Looks like the temperature will start out in the mid-30's & top out at mid-60's. Pond fishing a lot of water in the 8 to 10 foot depth range. Not a huge pond just a few acres.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-13, 06:23 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Finesse jig-buzzbait-spinnerbait-wacky senko worm-rapala-torpedo-sammie-shad rap........this time of year and especially around here lately it's often a "junk fishing" deal. Monday morning I went to one of my fav ponds like you describe with similar weather and caught fish on 14 different things and never did establish anything resembling a pattern.
Old 10-24-13, 08:25 PM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You just may want to give a texas rigged Wholly Bullie type bait a try.
I say this because of the size and depth of the pond.
I'd find the deepest water and drag some creature bait up every side of the pocket.
Even better, if you can cast over the pocket and bring it down one side and up the other side. Again doing it around both sides of pocket.
I know you southern anglers stay alittle warmer but the sunlight gets shorter all the same.
Another pond trick that works for me is to find any kind of boulders, big rocks, laydowns, any structure at all.
Even if they don't seem good/big to you maybe the only ambush spot around. Plus they retain heat if you got sun.
Quarter oz. jig with or without 'shortened' skirt will work to. Still texas rig the jig because it makes it appear to be eating cause the rear legs will kind of float up. Same trailer or similar.
Smaller baits, fatter the better. Not so fat maybe on longer.

Last but not least, if you got bait fish of any kind, perch, sunnies, shad in the pond, FLUKE UM!
Serious though, I like to use a waited (1/8) screw on hook.
Cause to me in shallow small waters the bass can actually get lazy. They know they can swim the WHOLE pond 20 times a day without ANY effort. Why would they really be proned to exurting any energy to eat. So slow or dieing is a prime target. But if the bait shows any weakness at all, REACTION.
So the faster fall shows weakness, REACTION.

Hope I brought you some ideas.
And have a great time!
Old 10-24-13, 08:43 PM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Texas rigged lizard is a given. Early I plan on using a PopR, Torpedo, & frog. Probably use a scatter rap shad and a square bill crank worked slow. Taking a Carolina rig as a change of pace. There is some weed & trash to deal with too. Never had much luck in this pond with spinnerbaits or buzzbaits.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.