Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-30-05, 05:19 PM   #1
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

Default hook setting with jigs

hey guys thx for all your help so far it has made me become a more confident and better bass fisher. so hers my delima last night i was determined to learn how to use a jig. while my brother was burnin em up on a spinerbait, i stuck with my jig. i caught two but had 4 really nice fish get off. i still have a hard time telling when they are biting and when they arent but i am getting better at that. i had a really really nice bass on last night i was letting him fight keeping my line tight but when he jumped out of the water my lure jus fell out. i was soo frustrated i threw my fishing pole, i was ticked and im still ticked about it because he would of been my biggest yet. srry for all that. is there any technique to setting a hook with jigs.
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 07:24 PM   #2
Tm_Customs

Default Re: hook setting with jigs

I start off w/ a 6'6"-7' Heavy action rod I like a 1/2oz jig for added sensitivity florocarbon line because it has low strech! Bass eat jigs I wait for them to swim w/ it and wack it as hard as I can.
Old 06-30-05, 08:06 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Ohio, That is a tough question, but Maybe I can give some answers that will help eliminate your problem.I am not sure what type of jig and rod set up your using. Jig designs vary Â*alot even though its the same basic design, every jig is not created equal for the rod set up you may be using, but first thing you do when jig fishing is to sharpen your hook until it sticks in your thumb nail. I have had problems with jigs using mono or braided lines.If you use mono line, fish a jig with a widegap thin wire hook. It will increase your catch ratio because less force is needed to properly set the thinner hook, mono stretches reducing your hook point penetration.On the other hand I have found that wide gap thin wire hooks do no work as well with braided lines.the braid has no stretch so when your pulling at the fish and the fish pulls back the thin wire tears a hole in the bass's lip allowing him to get off half way to the boat, unless you have hooked him through the meaty top part of the mouth.When using braided line I like a heavy wire round bend hook.It doesn't seem to tear like the thin wire hooks do or straighten out on a good fish like a thin wire hook will. If you try to use a heavy wire hook with mono alot of times the bass grab the jig so hard with the stretch of the line, your hook penetration is not good. Sometimes you can still get them to the boat , but the jig will literally fall out when you go to remove it from the fish.The other thing is bass usually are feeding on baitfish or crawfish, It sounds like they were really biting a baitfish presentation, You will always catch a few bass on a jig, they will bite softer than normal, watch your line for any odd movement, count down how long your jig takes to reach bottom Â*the depth your fishing.If the count down is different set the hook, it doesn't cost anything if your wrong.I will tell you another trick when you or your buddy boats a bass check the gripper teeth in the mouth. If they are sharp they are feeding on baitfish, if they are dull or not noticable, they are feeding on bottom, usually crawfish.This is not fool proof, but it will get you in right direction more often than not.If they have sharp gripper teeth, fish a spinnerbait, senko's crankbaits, topwater baits. If the teeth are dull or almost non existant fish jigs, tubes, worms, or any other bottom oriented lures. I hope this will help you, the more fish you catch with the jig, it will become automatic in knowing what is a fish and whats not. You have the correct attitude to be a great jig fisherman, confident enough to keep fishing while someone else is catching them on something different. That is what it takes in front conditions when nothing is working, the jig will boat you fish if you can endure the time of not catching any fish without changing lures every minute. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 09:28 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Well put pnj

its odd how sometimes that jig literally pops out of the mouth once you boat her
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 10:51 PM   #5

have you ever fished in the lakes in the Metroparks in Strongsville, Ohio
Old 06-30-05, 10:55 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Ohio, one other suggestion-make sure your hook is sharp. If it won't dig into your fingernail with just a small amount of pressure it needs to be sharpened.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 11:05 PM   #7
Tm_Customs

Get a good jig w/ a Gammy hook real thick and real shap! And rod that can tear into that fish no problem. You will be fine.
Old 06-30-05, 11:10 PM   #8
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

wow pnj that is alot of information that has answered many of my jig fishing questions. it seemed like maybe my hook wasn't sharp cause it seem like i never had a solid hook set, i had to reel in real fast so the fish wouild stay on is that common.
thx for all the help.

oh yeah the jig i am using is a booyah 1/4 with 10 pd trilene. with a medium heavy. i think thats what it is. does the weedless need to be trimed because mine aree untrimed.
Old 06-30-05, 11:11 PM   #9
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

i set the hook hard anytime i feel more or less weight on my line.you know how much that jig weighs so whack it hard when it feels different.sometimes you will swing and miss but then again when a fish does have it %99 of the time that jig will be stuck good with a hard hookset.sometimes you will loose fish and there is nothing you can do about it.that's why we call it fishing and not catching!!!good luck!!! ;D
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 11:16 PM   #10
Tm_Customs

Ohio sometimes they need to be trimmed and thinned out. Just personal preference.

I suggest moving up to a bit stronger line w/ less strech that may help.

Tight Lines
Old 06-30-05, 11:18 PM   #11
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Ohio, The Booyah jigs are one of the few I never thin the weed guard bristles out on.The Booyah has a fairly good sized hook, Maybe go with 14 lb test and see if it solves some of your problem. I use a 7' rod or longer most of the time because the extra rod length allows you to move alot of line by picking up on the rod tip. Some times you may want to use a 3/8oz. & even 1/2 oz. jigs.The faster fall rate will produce more reaction bites you may not be getting by using a lighter jig.I hope this helps. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 11:23 PM   #12
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

man i wish it wasn't storming here i was planning on fishing tonight once again this is some really helpfull information.
so your say ing by moving my poundage and weight of the jig more it will be easier.
Old 06-30-05, 11:29 PM   #13
Tm_Customs

I try and use a 1/2oz jig all around. I think it is much easier to detect bites when you can keep more tension on you line.
Old 06-30-05, 11:33 PM   #14
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

ok it looks like i need to make a trip to bps tommorrow. has anyone tried fireline. i heard it is strong when you first buy it but wears out early.
Old 06-30-05, 11:34 PM   #15
Tm_Customs

If your going to BPS get some XPS florocarbon it does not strech much and has a thin diamiter. 17lb ;D
Old 06-30-05, 11:42 PM   #16
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

i dont think i would need that heavy would i, because i live here in ohio, the state record is only 13.
Old 06-30-05, 11:45 PM   #17
Tm_Customs

It's only as thick as 14 and I have broke 5lbers off on 17lb. Sticks rocks I would get 17lb check it out at BPS whatever you get I do suggest BPS floro or mono either way it is great line at a better price.
Old 06-30-05, 11:49 PM   #18
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Ohio, of you are using a spinning reel the fireline or flourocarbon line will work well, but if you are using a baitcaster I'd go with PowerPro. I use it for worms, jigs, Carolina rig and flipping. Real sensitive and real strong-I pulled a 20 lb flathead cat through and out of a flooded tree top last year when it hit a jig I was throwing on powerpro.
Old 06-30-05, 11:53 PM   #19
Tm_Customs

Power pro is very un-nessicary unless your fishing real heavy cover I have seen alot of rods broken by braid since people dont know how strong it is. Also braid is green so you can see it fish can see it florocarbon is invisiable in the water. Unless your fishing in super thick cover you dont need braid.
Old 06-30-05, 11:54 PM   #20
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

is there a favorite trailer you guys like to use, i ussually use black and blue trailers, zoom super chunks
Old 06-30-05, 11:56 PM   #21
Tm_Customs

I like Yamamoto grubs and Sweet Beavers
Old 06-30-05, 11:58 PM   #22
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

i dont think ohio has any sweet beavers for sale here yet
Old 07-01-05, 12:00 AM   #23
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Depends on the water temperature. If it is above 75 or so I like a trailer with a lot of moving appendages like the bottom half of a Zoom Brush Hog. 75 down to around 50 a Zoom chunk and below 50 the real thing-usually an Uncle Josh pork chunk.
Old 07-01-05, 12:00 AM   #24
Tm_Customs

More than likley they wont does not look like there gonna cool down here anytime soon U can get em' here http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-RISB.html

Old 07-01-05, 12:01 AM   #25
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

ok ill have to try the brush hogs, i have a ton of em

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.