Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-28-05, 04:27 PM   #1
john_doe
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to john_doe
Default Kayak fishing

I've been only fishing this year from my kayak. I think that is why I got back into fishing. What I am finding is that its a little more difficult to set the hook, but I find I can get everywhere that no one can. I'm sure I can find some way to set the hook better. If you've been on a kayak, you would know it's a little tight in there. Anyone into kayak fishing?
john_doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 08:10 PM   #2
FLFishFan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FLFishFan
Default Re: Kayak fishing

i have never tried it. I know a couple people who have. I would like to get one though. There is a little lake by me that you could only use a kayak on because there is no way you get anything else to it.
FLFishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 08:34 PM   #3
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Wife and I have enjoyed kayak fishing now for several years. One thing that will help you on hooksets.....mash down the barb on the hook halfway or a little more...also after mashing, re-sharpen the point. If you use wide gap hooks, open the hook a very little and turn it a bit, about 5 degrees to one side or the other.....so it's no longer in line with the hook eye and sticks out from the bait a little.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 08:48 PM   #4
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mikey

i think it would work in tight places until u catch one of those 70pd catfish and t
take you or a little ride
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 09:50 AM   #5
john_doe
BassFishin.Com Member

I've had to use weedless hooks, because I'm able to get right in the pads, so I'm not really able to turn the hook like I usually do, or else it wont be weedless anymore. Mashing down the barb, I think I will try that though.
Old 06-29-05, 01:54 PM   #6
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Depends on where he lives. Up here, catfish are about 1-2 lbs.

I agree that kayaks and canoes are great for getting into tight spots, spots where the bass often are.

Take the most advantage of this by using soft plastics (rig them weedless) and get them right into thick weeds the big boats can't get to.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 11:20 PM   #7
john_doe
BassFishin.Com Member

I live in South Jersey, so the cats arent too big. I hear that they have stocked the lake I live on with channel cat, but I dont know how big they get. Had luck today fishing a small lake fed by a stream. Caught a 3 pounder, not bad...lot of fun from a kayak.
Old 06-30-05, 08:44 AM   #8
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

for the pads, try a 2/0 worm hook with the offset shank....then texpose it using a 6 inch lizard.......

When you cast into the pads, lift the rod before beginning the retrieve....with the rod tip up, the lizard will crawl across the pads and you can drop him into the little openings. The hook, being texposed, lies with the point very close to the lure and doesn't seem to hang up. I like to drop him in the hole, wait 20 seconds, then give him a couple twitches a couple seconds apart before moving on.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 11:32 AM   #9
john_doe
BassFishin.Com Member

This may sound stupid, but what is texpose?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.