Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-09, 11:11 PM   #1
chief7101
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rage Tail Toads...Awesome!!!

I came across these toads while scanning the isles at the local Wal-Mart. OMG!! These things are amazing. I bought the first bag, figuring I would try them, never had good luck fishing plasticks. I usually preferred spoons, spinners, and such. Always wanting to try fishing plstic lures, I did some research on the internet about them and other plastics.

I finally tried the Rage Tail Toads at a local pond, after a few casts and reeling it back in...the tail action was fantastic, but nothing hit the lure. So I slowed down the retrieval and BAM!! A 19 inch 4.5 lb LM. I have been dancing it in one quick crank and pause ever since. To date I have 8 or so monsters of 18 inches or bigger in the last 2 weeks, with the largest being 21 inches, 6 lbs as of yesterday. exceptional big for this area in Western Pa.

I've been to Wal Mart a couple of times keeping the stock level up. My wife has been using a "Ribbit" frog fishing the same areas as I have, to only to get frustrated as I keep pulling the hawgs in.

Is anyone else having such good success with this line of plastics?
chief7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 11:15 PM   #2
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Aww, share some with the wife.

Yes, the whole line is freakin' awesome. They're high quality and they have amazing action.

Good thing Sportsman's has them for $3.30!
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 11:26 PM   #3
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

OH HELL YEA!!!! I love those things after Buying em i put the Horny Toads away, Im glad someone else can say that they love em as much as i do, The Toads are nice, But i want you too do yourself a favor, Go buy a package of the SHADS< and you will see the difference, its like Reeling in a Buzzbait with that one single tail, reminds me of a soft plastic frog bait called a "salad spoon" they used to make for Big Nothern Pikes, and Muskies in the weeds.

To all those reading this, if you are still using Horny toads, I want you to check out this video about the rage tails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tTZegJGv9A

Pay close attention to what the guy is saying at the 2:15 mark, he really breaks down the design of this lure, and how it works, and watch that slow motion action Over and Over and Over and Over again, and over again one more time, keep watching it until you go buy a package on tackle~warehouse.com
Old 04-17-09, 11:27 PM   #4
chief7101
BassFishin.Com Member

One thing I do not like is that the bass really teat them up when they strike it, almost always tears the nose out.

As for the wife...She can get her own...

I did buy a pack of the white shad rage tails as well, but they dont seem to catch as many fish. Of course it early in the season here as well.
Old 04-17-09, 11:48 PM   #5
66KingFisher

Hehehehe....another fan of Ragetail huh?....I got my first package of toads last summer and like you I was instantly hooked.....their whole line of baits have amazing action....check them out at Ragetail.com and watch the videos and then join in at their Ragetalk forum....They too are a great bunch of folks that can't get enough bass fishin.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 06:47 AM   #6
bcklash

Welcome Chief, you will have fun on here with all of us nutbags
Old 04-18-09, 07:47 AM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have had great luch with rage tail, not the toad specifically, but, I have with the 10" annas! I must say, one of the most veritable baits I've ever used! Top to bottom! I really like them weight less or with a 1/16oz bullet weight, twitched through hydrilla! The reason I think they work so well is because we have such an abundance of moccasins! I've watched bass chase then and eat then befor!

I've been meaning to the whole line of rage tail plastics but have not yet! I'll make sure to but the toads high on my list!
Old 04-18-09, 02:52 PM   #8
keithdog

I really like the action of the Ragetails, and have caught a few on them. However, I have better luck with the Yum BuzzFrogs. I have an idea for ya though. When those rage tails get their heads torn up, try using them as a trailer for a jig.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 03:17 PM   #9
Bassboss

Just went to gander! Got some of them toads!
Old 04-18-09, 05:45 PM   #10
chief7101
BassFishin.Com Member

never thought of that keithdog...sounds like a good plan
Old 04-21-09, 12:12 AM   #11
Gbassman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Im gonna try the whole rage tail line, I have a friend wwho is a sales manager for srtike king, and I work at wal-mart.
Old 04-23-09, 11:48 PM   #12
ho_shi
BassFishin.Com Member

make sure u buy the shad and toads in the clear plastic "clam shells" they hold truer then the ones not in the plastic. It holds them truer from the factory.

All the new ones shipped in the last 4-6 months have the clam shells, but some stores still have the none clammed ones

I have had the pleasure of meeting Steve, the designer of the rage tail series. What a great guy!!!

ALSO use a 5/0 keel weighter hook with the toads to make sure they always run belly down... Play with em a little bit and you will see there is a 100% sweet spot that works the best.

best of luck to you!!
ho_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 03:19 PM   #13
chief7101
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks ho shi, will keep playing with them.
Old 04-29-09, 09:15 PM   #14
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

how exactly do u rig them i bought them a few days ago and they dont seem to work right the way i use them i just rigged them how i usely rig worms but im thinking about trying horny toad hooks
fishinboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 09:35 PM   #15
66KingFisher

First off, make sure you break the little tab that helps the bait hold its shape.....its action won't work if you don't break the tab.....Otherwise give this article a read and see if it helps.
http://www.ragetail.com/news/hookem-...ook-more-bass/
Old 04-30-09, 11:08 AM   #16
Bassboss

Ya they are great! I said I went to gander to get some, well, I used them last weekend, and the bass chewed them up!! They're really great baits for sure!
Old 05-03-09, 05:44 PM   #17
chief7101
BassFishin.Com Member

I actually had one of the legs rip off the toad from a bass strike, not wanting to walk the whole way back to the tackle box and get another one, I threw it back out and contiued to catch bass on a crippled toad....
Old 05-03-09, 10:20 PM   #18
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief7101 View Post
I actually had one of the legs rip off the toad from a bass strike, not wanting to walk the whole way back to the tackle box and get another one, I threw it back out and contiued to catch bass on a crippled toad....
Hehehe....yep, i've caught several bass on a one legged toad.....it still has alot of action with just the one leg and i'm a tightwad and can't stand the thoughts of throwin it away yet when it'll still catch fish.
Old 05-09-09, 01:52 AM   #19
ho_shi
BassFishin.Com Member

see the rage tail forum for more tips tricks and tactics
ho_shi is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.