Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-09, 07:55 AM   #1
hickswes
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinning Reel Line Twist

What is a good way to get rid of the line twist I get on my spinning gear. It may even be something I am doing, I spray line condtioner on it it helps a little but the twist still comes back
hickswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 08:10 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

And this is what BF was made for:

Check it out, it'll answer fix your problem
Old 05-07-09, 08:13 AM   #3
JB

A couple of things to consider, look at the direction of the new spool and compare to the rotation of you reel, most of the time you put the label face up as you're putting on the line. You can also put the line through a book as your putting it on your reel to ensure the line goes on tight.
You can also hook onto a fence and walk hundred feet or so and give the line a slight pull to take out some of the memory if the line is mono.
Also you can soak the new spool before you put it on your reel in warm water for 45 minutes to reduce memory.
The most common occurance is putting the line on backwards to the way the reel is turning, not all reel go clockwise or counterclockwise, check to see which way yours turns and match the way the line comes off the new spool, direction wise.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 08:19 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

To get rid of existing line twist, trail most of your line behind the boat at idle speed. Reel it in while applying tension and it should work.

Also, when fishing with a spinning reel, always close the bail by hand. and NEVER reel when a fish is pulling drag or if the lures caught on something and you're not bringing in any line. That should help keep line twist to a minimum on a spooled reel. When you do change the line, check out the video bassboss posted.

BB
Old 05-07-09, 06:04 PM   #5
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

no offense to kevin, but i have not seen where that trick made any diffrence...i may be doing something wrong, but it didnt help any. the KVD line conditioner helped a good bit with mine...still get it occasionally though.
Old 05-07-09, 08:20 PM   #6
Kevin
Administrator

I think one of the main problems people have problems with twists and coils is bass anglers are notorious for using way too small of spinning reels. Small reels are great when it comes to weight, but a bigger spool will do wonders for casting distance and twists. If you look at all the top Pro's on tour, they all fish the big spinning reels for everything... even the lightest or smallest of baits.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 08:30 PM   #7
bamabassman

kevin, i think you just solved our spinning reel problem. lisa is NOTOROIOUS for getting twist in her line. i throw it out and NEVER get it twisted. it has to be the way she is casting it too. i have watched her and it is some kind of weird i tell ya. maybe you and some others can help her at the get together? and yes she has small reels.
Old 05-07-09, 08:59 PM   #8
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree with Kevin, all other things being equal, bigger spools yield better line performance.

When you're spooling your reel, lay the supply spool on the floor such that the line comes off it counterclockwise. Label position is meaningless because some companies put it on one side, others do the opposite, and sometimes one company does it both ways.

Unfortunately, you can do everything the right way and still have twist. That's because some reels induce terrible twist and there's nothing you can do other than use braid on those. Once a reel product manager for a major manufacturer explained how the reel induces the twist, but I forgot the details. Probably 8-10 of the reels that I've owned were in this category.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 09:02 PM   #9
BigBassin144

That's true now that I think about it. I saw Shaw Grigsby fishing the dropshot with 8lb fluoro on a 4000 series reel. I though that was a bit much, but I guess I realize why now.

BB
Old 05-08-09, 12:46 AM   #10
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I believe that was the whole idea behind the new US Reels/BPS Johnny Morris reels. They are still small reels but the spool is big. I have the BPS one and am using 6# fluoro. Not many problems with twist, but the drag is touchy.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 05:25 AM   #11
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I think one of the main problems people have problems with twists and coils is bass anglers are notorious for using way too small of spinning reels. Small reels are great when it comes to weight, but a bigger spool will do wonders for casting distance and twists. If you look at all the top Pro's on tour, they all fish the big spinning reels for everything... even the lightest or smallest of baits.
totally agree!!!that's why i fish a 4000 size spinning reel.
Old 05-08-09, 06:45 AM   #12
BigBassin144

I still prefer a small reel, so I use braid w/ a fluoro leader on an Abu Cardinal 301 for dropshot. The small 1000 size reel makes a great, light combo withmy Shimano crucial dropshot rod.

BB
Old 05-08-09, 09:47 AM   #13
Joel

I certainly understand the logic of using a larger size spinning reel to reduce and or eliminate line twist. But that defeats the whole advantage of using a smaller and thus lighter weight spinning reel. I use 2000 & 2500 series reels only for freshwater, while the few 4000 models I have are from my saltwater days.

I've found that by spooling with Braid, then using a 4-6 ft leader of your choice, that line twist is just a nonexistent issue.

I've learned the hard way that emulating what the pros are doing/using is for the most part guided by their sponsors wishes.

I can also assure you that line twist was a issue with the larger dia spinning reels in the salt. Many times we had to let our lines out behind the boat to get rid of line twists introduced by a long fish fight. It's just the nature of the beast (the Line). This issue also vanished when we went to braid and a leader.

Alslo, there are sveral baitcaster reels like Daiwa's Alphas that are designed for finesse applications (which I don't use).
Old 05-08-09, 11:16 AM   #14
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Last year I started fishing with the Team Diawa Tierra spin in size 2500. The specs say that it is for 8 to 10 pound test. This is the largest freshwater reel I've owned and had few line issues. Like the guys said, spooling correctly, letting the line out without a lure on it,then reel back in with a cloth soaked in KVD line conditioner,and close the bail by hand after a cast. Also, I back reel a bigin' instead of using drag.
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 05:23 AM   #15
dodgeguy

which reminds me,never reel against a fish pulling drag on a spinning reel.this will twist line so fast it would make your head spin.
Old 05-09-09, 09:11 AM   #16
Jigger

go with braid and a fluoro leader and you won't have line twist.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 09:51 PM   #17
Tall

I have more then my share of line twist problems, and when I had a coangler in the boat (that used to tour on the BFL) with me I discussed my problems. I knew to let the line out behind the boat, watch which way it came off the spool but still problems. Maybe the small spinning reels or he said to much line would cause issues as well. He said he liked to tack a swivel to a tree and tie his line to it and let all his line out and then reel it in to get any twists out. I had not thought of that one.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 12:09 AM   #18
Rebbasser

Also, close the bail by hand. Cranking it closed adds to line twist.
Old 05-10-09, 12:40 AM   #19
bamabassman

reb,???? explain what you mean by that please.
Old 05-10-09, 07:26 AM   #20
BigBassin144

bama, after you cast, flip the bail over by hand instead of reeling in to close it. When you close it by reeling in, it adds a small amount of twist to the line. Multiply that by how many times you cast with the reel and you've got a lot of line twist. I always close the bail by hand. After to get in the habit of it, you won't even notice you're doing it.

BB
Old 05-10-09, 10:33 AM   #21
bamabassman

hmmm, you'll have to show me this one bb. thaks!
Old 05-10-09, 02:54 PM   #22
Bassboss

To fix twisted line on any reel, let the line out completely behind your slowly moving boat then reel it back in.
Old 05-10-09, 11:04 PM   #23
Rebbasser

Bama-open the bail on the reel like you are going to make a cast. Then, instead of cranking the handle to close it, grab the wire part of the bail and push it toward the rod tip. It will flip over into position to reel the line in without causing line twist.
Old 05-11-09, 05:44 PM   #24
bamabassman

ohhhhhhh, ok. i understand now. thank you rebb. maybe that is it. i'll tell lisa and see if that helps her. again, thanks.
Old 05-11-09, 06:36 PM   #25
BassinID

I always flip my bail by hand. Once I started I get very few line twists.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.