Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 12-30-10, 11:08 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lew's Reels

I was looking at a website , and seen Lew's speed spools , they range in price from 99 to 279. I have never heard of them. Are these well known reels ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 11:40 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The original Lews reels are very well known, they were the first low profile reel on the market. It was the late Lew Childre who started many of today's popular baitcast features, such as the low-profile design, a palming side cover and the disengaging levelwind. They are still very popular today with anglers that still have original reels in working condition. Lew Childre died in a plane crash in 1977. Some wonder what casting reels would be like today if his inovative thinking and design skills were still with us. The Childre family sold the rights to use the lews name to the browning company who manufactured reels under that name for some time but the rights to the lews name has now been sold to longtime lews family friend Lynn Reeves. Reeves has made the promise and commitment to return the Lew’s name to its place of prominence in the industry. I have not personly seen the new lews reels that Reeves is producing. I hope they do live up to the reputation.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 08:48 AM   #3
MikeS.
BassFishin.Com Member

I seen one yesterday in the local tackle store. Looked like a good quality reel from what I could tell.
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 10:29 AM   #4
CMorg

Interesting , I am a sucker for trying new products....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 12:44 PM   #5
Tavery5

I see a post on another site, that said they were owned by the same parent company as Quantum. I don't have any idea if this was correct or not, but found it interesting.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 10:58 PM   #6
SpeedStick2009
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lew's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I see a post on another site, that said they were owned by the same parent company as Quantum. I don't have any idea if this was correct or not, but found it interesting.
Historically you are correct as Quantum/Zebco did once own the rights to the brand, as did Shimano, Ryobi, and Browning. However, these are now being produced to Lynn's specifications. Finally back in the hands of someone that cares about product design, functionality, and overall innovation. I think everyone will be pleased to see where the company is headed. Pro staff so far consists of David Fritts, Mark Menendez, Kevin Short, and Terry Scroggins with more to come.....
SpeedStick2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 12:43 AM   #7
Tavery5

Thanks, for the information, do you know who is actually building the reels for them?
Old 01-05-11, 12:57 PM   #8
SpeedStick2009
BassFishin.Com Member

Tavery, the best way to explain how anyone's reels are made(and bare with me) is to imagine starting a subdivision of your own. You sell the land, and each homeowner uses the same manufacturer, but each house looks different, feels different, etc. Reels, reel parts, etc are made in too many different factories to state that someone makes them for them. Wish I had a more direct answer to that, but, it is truly an impossible question to answer....unless you are looking for a factory name, which you would be proprietary information and not available to the public. Hope the info helps.

As to the History of Lews, it can be found here:
http://www.lews.com/catalog.htm and also here: http://www.lews.com/history.htm
SpeedStick2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 10:14 PM   #9
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

we should feel special that this Lews employee has taken the time to register at this site just to come on here and answer these questions for us. Well nevermind that wasnt really an answer. More like a politician answer tryin to dodge the ball. Hey Speedstick, WHO MAKES THE FRAME?
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 10:23 PM   #10
Ebbetsguy

Thanks, I am ordering an SG speed stick from Cabelas.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:01 PM   #11
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
Thanks, I am ordering an SG speed stick from Cabelas.
Sweet components one those rods , most of the time those components are used on high end (custom) saltwater rods. Still would like to know who is building the reels.
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:04 PM   #12
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

The Team Lew's rods are the ones I was referring to.
Old 01-08-11, 12:20 PM   #13
Ebbetsguy

Yea I getting the Cheapo's

I remember those old Black Speed Sticks and thinking WTF is a FUJI GUIDE, I think they were among the first to have them.
Old 01-08-11, 01:20 PM   #14
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

My Dad still has one of the original Lew's speed sticks from the early 80's it has a rubber grip cut in a diamond pattern.We used those and lighting rods(made in U.S.) until g.loomis came out.Shimano bantams and Lew's BB reels.Those where the days...
Old 01-08-11, 01:45 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imgoodatwhatido View Post
we should feel special that this Lews employee has taken the time to register at this site just to come on here and answer these questions for us. Well nevermind that wasnt really an answer. More like a politician answer tryin to dodge the ball. Hey Speedstick, WHO MAKES THE FRAME?

I was sitting here thinking the same thing, and questioning why anyone would worry about the public knowing. As soon as one is taken apart and the components examined, everyone will have a darn good idea who is doing the work anyway. My guess would be with the Pure fishing folks since the reels are coming out of Korea.
Old 01-08-11, 01:52 PM   #16
Ebbetsguy

Who cares who makes them as long as they work
Old 01-08-11, 01:56 PM   #17
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I was sitting here thinking the same thing, and questioning why anyone would worry about the public knowing. As soon as one is taken apart and the components examined, everyone will have a darn good idea who is doing the work anyway. My guess would be with the Pure fishing folks since the reels are coming out of Korea.
Are the daiwa bass reels from Korea also ?
Old 01-08-11, 03:01 PM   #18
Tavery5

Quote:
Who cares who makes them as long as they work

I do, otherwise I would not have asked. There are differences between the manufactures of reels, that I use to decide if a particular reel will fit my needs. I don't choose to blindly buy a product based upon someone saying they work....
Old 01-08-11, 03:05 PM   #19
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnD View Post
Are the daiwa bass reels from Korea also ?
John, I do not currently fish with Diawa reels so I don't have allot of knowledge of the company. But one of the other guys here that fish them will def. be able to answer that question.
Old 01-08-11, 03:37 PM   #20
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
I do, otherwise I would not have asked. There are differences between the manufactures of reels, that I use to decide if a particular reel will fit my needs. I don't choose to blindly buy a product based upon someone saying they work....

Sorry I never considered that, I always think everyone shops like me . also I NEVER GO BY WHAT I READ< NEVER, I go find something and try it for a while and I don't talk about what I dont use. I hate when people paraphrase the latest review on TT etc, If I dont use it , I trust no one.
Old 01-08-11, 03:41 PM   #21
Tavery5

Quote:
Sorry I never considered that, I always think everyone shops like me . also I NEVER GO BY WHAT I READ< NEVER, I go find something and try it for a while and I don't talk about what I dont use. I hate when people paraphrase the latest review on TT etc, If I dont use it , I trust no one.
I appreciate you understanding my side of the coin.
Old 01-08-11, 10:23 PM   #22
CiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStick2009 View Post
Tavery, the best way to explain how anyone's reels are made(and bare with me) is to imagine starting a subdivision of your own. You sell the land, and each homeowner uses the same manufacturer, but each house looks different, feels different, etc. Reels, reel parts, etc are made in too many different factories to state that someone makes them for them.

Millions of products are made this way....... built under one roof, badged as different brands.

Here are few models on Tackle Warehouse for those looking.........Lews Reels
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 11:05 PM   #23
Ebbetsguy

Cabelas has them also as well as the rods. They also have a reel model TW is not selling
Old 04-20-11, 10:36 PM   #24
basspioneer
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool Lews

Lews used to be the epitome of baitcasters. They were perfection. They were the best. They were made in Japan out of the finest components by the best craftsmen. I don't know if the new ones are up to Lew's original standards. The frame, line guide, pawl, and star drag look exactly like an abu garcia revo (and they probably are). The handle paddles are original Lew's paddles. If I had to bet I would say that Abu Garcia is manufacturing these reels. However, the plate around the drag and the side covers look a lot like a Quantum. I would bet that the same manufacturer that makes the Bass Pro private label reels is also making these reels with components from Abu Garcia. The new owner and his company are located in Springfield, MO just down the street from Bass Pro and since the new owner used to be a buyer and work with product development for Bass Pro I would say he's using the same comanufacturers that manufacture the Bass Pro reels. It's disappointing to me because Lew's reels represent more than just a reel. They represent bass fishing. They are a piece of bass fishing history. I kept one of my old ones because it meant so much to me growing up. Lots of huge bass caught with it. It's disappointing that the new ones are made in Korea. I would hope that they would manufacture them in Japan. If they were made in Japan I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Until then, I will stick with my Shimano baitcatsers and St. Croix Rods.
basspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 01:37 PM   #25
MikeS.
BassFishin.Com Member

My friend bought one a few weeks back and loves it!! I've used it a few time and I must say it is very smooth.
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.