Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-08-12, 10:48 PM   #51
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

THE MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION - Does anyone have ANY experience operating a vessel 65 FEET or longer?

Last edited by bassboogieman; 08-08-12 at 10:58 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 10:56 PM   #52
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
THE MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION - Does anyone have ANY experience operating a vessel 65 FEET or longer?
There's enough smart fellers in the bunch, I'm sure we can just figure it out as we go.

I'd be up for Dale Hollow as well, but my dad and I can only do one event.

BB
Old 08-08-12, 11:03 PM   #53
MississippiBoy

I've piloted a 55 ft houseboat on Lake DeGray in Arkansas, and a 60? ft sailboat from Miami to the Bahamas....that's not a ton of experience, but its something........right?
Old 08-09-12, 02:35 PM   #54
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Im definately in on this one its only 4 hours from my house.
ill go but im catchin a ride with u, woody, or keithdog, u guys r practically neighbors haha
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 07:49 PM   #55
bamabassman

never piloted a houseboat before....but i DID stay in a HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS............BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

SERIOUSLY THOUGH....I THINK I WOULD RATHER STAY ON SHORE OVERNIGHT....I know THESE CRAZY PEOPLE.......hahahaha!!
Old 08-09-12, 07:50 PM   #56
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglejust View Post
ill go but im catchin a ride with u, woody, or keithdog, u guys r practically neighbors haha
Oh Really!!! hahaha

I agree, we are practically neighbors.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 08:08 PM   #57
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I've piloted a 55 ft houseboat on Lake DeGray in Arkansas, and a 60? ft sailboat from Miami to the Bahamas....that's not a ton of experience, but its something........right?
Yes, but the real question is, would you be willing to captain the houseboat for a day or two? (1 or 2 day rentals are possible if available)

-Mark
Old 08-09-12, 08:20 PM   #58
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
There's enough smart fellers in the bunch, I'm sure we can just figure it out as we go.
BB
Without a willing Captain..S.O.S.!!! hahaha

Let it be know, I'm not that willing...just saying.

-Mark
Old 08-09-12, 08:39 PM   #59
nobass

i have farmers insurance i will talk to charlie
Old 08-11-12, 02:53 PM   #60
woody

Well besides the possibility of us renting a houseboat, I wanted to show you all a couple of cabins that we could possibly rent. These two cabins are both located lake shore, within a short walking distance of the marina and restaurant. Something else that makes these cabins fisherman friendly is that they offer plenty of parking space. Cabins located further up the hill have very limited parking. In my opinion the idea of not having to drive once you arrive at the resort, other than into town, makes these cabins very fisherman friendly.

Here are a few links to the cabins and some pics. Notice all the parking that's available.

http://www.cedarhillresort.com/cabin00.html

Pics of Cabin#0

http://www.cedarhillresort.com/cabin10.html

Pics of Cabin #10

The link below show the locations of the cabins. Cabin #0 and Cabin #10 are located at the top of the parking area.

http://www.cedarhillresort.com/cabinlocator.html

Let me know what you think, thanks!

-Mark
Old 08-11-12, 07:06 PM   #61
woody

It would be possible to do a one or two day houseboat rental , then rent some cabin afterwards...something for us to think about...

-Mark
Old 08-11-12, 07:39 PM   #62
bamabassman

not that i want to be a prude fells, but lisa and i ain't getting on a houseboat with oyu crazy nuts, hahaha. well share a cabin with ol mudboy and louann and the TWO kiddies though. bubba and his gang too ifn he can make the dates.
Old 08-11-12, 08:14 PM   #63
keithdog

I'll share a houseboat since beggers can't be choosy. But ONLY if we are agreed that no one eats at Taco Bell or any other Mexican joint during that time period!
Old 08-12-12, 09:56 AM   #64
bassboogieman

Woody - you are a devil. Well, not really but you have me thinking about a return to Dale Hollow. When I left last May, I said I'd probably not go back - too far for "average" fishing. But I also realize the fishing was not the only reason I went - I went with the intention of seeing some friends made the previous year at Wheeler, in addition to trying a lake on my bucket list.

That a couple of those friends were unable to make that trip, well I won't deny the disappointment but I totally understand their reasons. On the other hand, I met some new friends and shared a cabin with some old ones and that was good, the fishing was fine in the morning and evenings, but mid-day was a washout for me.

I loved the top water smallie action, but will say I got a bit bored with it having to use the same technique day after day, because I could not find an alternative presentation that worked. I much prefer being able to use multiple presentaions to CATCH fish and enjoy the varity that offers. But the popper bite was fun the fist couple of days - THANKS to Woody for sharing the info. he got at the tackle shop, it would have been a horrible fishing experience otherwise.

So in watching this thread, I see a couple of those I missed last year, may consider making it in 2013. I won't mention any names, because I would not want to put any undue pressure on John, Keith, Anthony, Billy, opps! OK, so you get the idea. If a good turnout is expected, I will consider dropping the Florida trip and make the Dale Hollow get together my 2013 "travel trip". Afterall, there will be MORE friends to see again.

I'm really thinking about doing it in my kayak, should I attend, and the houseboat thing also appeals to me if I decide on the kayak angle. Of course I could also do it in the big boat - I haven't sold it, haven't gotten any bites and am leaning towards keeping it a bit longer. While it hasn't been used since Dale Hollow in May, It may get out later in the fall - yeah, I'm enjoying the kayak THAT much.

Who comes with me, will also affect the choice in water craft. Doc - it will probably be kayaks, although Doc wasn't impressed with the fishing at Dale. My nephew, who goes nuts catching smallies, or my Father-in-law who also likes fishing (and he's not getting much with my love of the kayak) would also like a fishing trip, so I may bring a new face with me if I opt for DH.

So that's where I am with Dale on the back burner (thanks again Woody ). I'll continue watching what happens, but unlike last year I won't commit real early, and keep options open. Whatever, I hope Dale turns out a real fun gathering for everyone there.

Note to Keith - if it's a houseboat, I'll bring a CASE of Bush's Baked Beans as my contribution to the pantry.
Old 08-12-12, 10:54 AM   #65
bamabassman

don't turn the eye on that back burner bruce. as much as i REALL,REALL,REALLY don't want ot miss this. my money will dictate if i can go. times are TOUGH around here my friend. REALLY tough. not saying it ain't tough for EVERYONE. but i also promised lisa a vacation with just us. so it is still like a floating cloud of hope for me ok? i am gonna do EVERYTHING within my power to make it. jsut can't commit right now.I MISS SEEING ALL OF YOU NUTS TOO MAN. YOU JSUT DON'T KNOW HOW glued I WAS TO THE COMPUTER DURING LAST YEARS EVENT. heck, i ain't been able to fish HALF as much this year as i had hoped to. ain't got much time left to do any either. then the lightening....geeezzz....sometimes life is more unfair than usual. ok....enough.

baked beans are not as bad a mexican REFRIED BEANS or PINTO BEANS. SOUR KRAUT IS AWEFUL TOO. HHAAHAHA!!!
Old 08-13-12, 03:44 AM   #66
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'll share a houseboat since beggers can't be choosy. But ONLY if we are agreed that no one eats at Taco Bell or any other Mexican joint during that time period!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
baked beans are not as bad a mexican REFRIED BEANS or PINTO BEANS. SOUR KRAUT IS AWEFUL TOO. HHAAHAHA!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Keith - if it's a houseboat, I'll bring a CASE of Bush's Baked Beans as my contribution to the pantry.
O.K. Keith, then what about Cuban food. Would that be alright to eat on the houseboat?

Seriously though, would you believe that the on site restaurant is owned by a Cuban family. Well they are, and they are excellent cooks too. I would recommend trying their "Cubano", it was very tasty!

-Mark
Old 08-14-12, 07:44 PM   #67
woody

Default Dale Hollow Event, April 27 - May 5, 2013

After much thought, here are the dates of the 2013 Dale Hollow Event-Saturday April 27th, to Sunday May 5th, 2013.

Obviously these date include two weekends back to back, with a full week in between. The resort will begin taking reservations on October 1. So, this gives us plenty of time to decide on our plans during those nine days(pick which dates work best for you during these 9 days). But remember this though, this is the first full week following a very timely full moon of the 2013 season and the fact that many other anglers will be trying to reserve the same accommodation during this peak time.

My plans are to reserve Cabin(0) which is a 3 BR cabin, 2 queen beds, 2 single beds and 1 fold out. So far, Ron(Backlash) and his son Adam(Basinbandit) have already called on one of the bedrooms, which leaves a bedroom and a pullout still available. Cabin(10) a 2BR is located next to cabin(0) and accommodate up to 4 would make for a great location for someone. Let's take advantage of our ample lead time and make our decisions before others get there before us.

-Mark
Old 08-14-12, 08:07 PM   #68
nobass

but me down for a bedroom are you planning on all 9 days do not know if i can do all nine but for sure tue thur sat. will share bedroom but to old for pullout
Old 08-15-12, 07:00 AM   #69
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I might actually be able to make half the week. If my schedule stays the same, I come home Apr 30.
Old 08-15-12, 07:59 AM   #70
bassboogieman

Bad week for me, so that makes the decision easy. That's the week I'm at the Potomac. Have fun!!
Old 08-15-12, 10:32 AM   #71
nofearengineer

I hope I don't end up missing this one. It will depend on how bad my new project bleeds me dry.
Old 08-15-12, 11:35 AM   #72
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

If I don't make this one, I am doing a solo get together at Toledo Bend in the spring! }
Old 08-15-12, 02:17 PM   #73
Jrob78

I'm sure this isn't anything to worry too much about and it probably won't effect your trip but you guys might want to read this anyway.
http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/are-we-trouble
Old 08-15-12, 06:26 PM   #74
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I'm sure this isn't anything to worry too much about and it probably won't effect your trip but you guys might want to read this anyway.
http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/are-we-trouble
I read an article about this recently happening all across the midwest. There has been a large die off in many southern Indiana waters also. We need cooler temps and LOTS of rain!!!

Also, while I'm at it. I hope to make this event, but won't know untill much later. Things at work havn't changed and financially, I may have trouble getting there. Will let you know for sure when I can or can't. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 08-15-12, 06:49 PM   #75
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
but me down for a bedroom are you planning on all 9 days do not know if i can do all nine but for sure tue thur sat. will share bedroom but to old for pullout
Ok Nobass the 3rd and last bedroom is yours. The pullout is still available.

I will more than likely stay for 5 days. I'm not sure which yet. I first wanted to see what everyone else had in mind on doing.

-Mark

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.