Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-03-13, 12:07 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default When,Where,Why?

Fall fishing and looking for patterns.

Now take away the obvious, go where the bait fish are. (better yet, where should the baitfish be?)

Nw side warms first usually. (As a generic rule, clarity, how the waters fed, rock or muck bottom ect. all makes a difference)

So can you assume the NW cools last too?

Would you think the same reasoning would lead you to believe the Dusk bite should be better than the Dawn bite?

Which area does the vegetation die last?

So here's the the scenario/question?
Your fishing new water!!! (Within an hour and a half drive)
You can fish morning 6:30 till 10:30 OR afternoon 3:30 till 7:30.

You can fish the North side of the lake or South. NOT BOTH.
Water structure is identical, both sides. You've done your homework and you no whats where. (structure depth ect.)
Two hrs of clear skies followed by two hrs. overcast/cloudy.
BOW is 2000 acres...Mean depth 21ft...Max. depth 56 ft
Lake has Smallmouth and Largemouth...plus crappie, bluegill, perch, walleye, pike and or musky. (now if you don't have water within hr&half with these species go further or one which has similar maybe not all)

So, When, Where, and why you going to fish?

Now if you want to add to the fun....

You can take only 3 rods and 3 baits. (can have multiples of each but have to be an EXACT match of the original. Including color...which you tell in lure description)

So what you going to take along? Why?

Try to answer questions and then come back and read others thoughts/input.
How about EVERYONE give thier input....not a lot of us left. There is no right or wrong answer.

Some interesting reading I found trying to answer the question. Please read after you answer.
http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing.../when-to-fish/

In closing I would like to thank everyone and I think this could really be fun.
Old 10-03-13, 06:36 AM   #2
kennethdaysale

When, Where, and why you going to fish?

AM because I've got a Dental appointment in the afternoon.
South side because the wind is coming from the North.

So what you going to take along? Why?

7' M spinning rod/2500 reel/#8 line
7' MH casting/#10 line
7' H casting/#14 line

#7 Silver Shadrap
Watermelonseed Zoom Trick Worm
1/4 oz black-blue jig

4 hours isn't much time to figure out a new lake even with extensive research. This time of year a Shadrap is usually a good search bait for Largemouth and since I have 20+ of them with me in the boat I can throw them fearlessly.

When I find some fish I can work them over pretty good with the Trick (and since there's no limit on terminal tackle I can Wacky them or weightless them or Texas Rig them or Drop Shot a pinched off tail section of them etc) or the jig.
Old 10-04-13, 07:17 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll be fishing the southern and south east portions of the lake for reasons Ken explained. Northern/northwest winds will be hitting those areas. I'm also going to pick the AM hours.
All bait cast gear for me.

7' M/mod rod with 15 pound line and a square bill crank bait tied on. Color depends on water conditions. But most likely chartreuse/black back, or American shad, or chartreuse sexy shad. Heavier line because I'll be fishing shallow and mid depths less than 10 foot deep and banging the bait off and through cover most of the time.

6'6" MH MH/F rod with 20 pound line with a white/chartreuse 1/2 oz. spinner bait tied on.
I'll be working any vegetation and wood I can find with this.

6'6" MH/F rod with 20 pound line. Tied on will be a Heddon Rattlin Spook. That's a real killer, especially in the fall. Fished over the tops of submerged weed beds, you will get explosive strikes on this bait, especially if it's over cast.
Old 10-09-13, 06:22 PM   #4
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

for this time of the year, many bassers do not follow the shade as much as they should.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 06:51 PM   #5
joedog

Oh no Bo, I'm NOT letting you off that easy!

So what, where, why would you fish?
Old 10-10-13, 02:14 AM   #6
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

there are several ways to get them on a spinner bait this time of the year. one of them is by waking the spinner bait. this is best done with a tandem spin. i make one with two #5 willows that works really well.

another pattern is to slow roll a spinner bait underneath bait balls that are pushed up onto flats.

when fishing down a wind blown bank for shallower bass, a key trick is to run the spinner bait right up against the rocks. and many will ask why. bass like to trap their prey. the bass will be positioned off the bank, but will be actually watching the bank for something to pass by. if you will pay close attention when doing this you will find that your strikes are coming with the bass attacking from deeper water headed into the bank.

hope these few tips will help.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.