Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-11, 10:34 AM   #1
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Alpha Jig Facts

Folks, I think I can shed some light on Alpha Jig!, since I have been fishing with it since 1995, some 16 years. As a former sponsored tournament fisherman I have had the opportunity to fish many different types of jigs. I am here to tell you there is nothing on the market today that will touch this jig for every kind of condition, believe me I have fished them all and this is definitely the best for all approaches and techniques. Of course I have had the opportunity to fish all three weights, 1/4, 3/8, and the 1/2 oz. There's nothing better for heavy cover, hoping the bottom , swimming or casting long distance, no problem. I have fished with the inventor, Bo James since 1995 and there are some other techniques it is used for which I don't think they want me to mention at this time. The main thing I noticed was I didn't loose hardy any jigs do to hang ups and most of the fish will indeed be hooked in the roof of the mouth. Occasionally you will hook one under the mouth, especially Kentucky's trapping it on the bottom. You will hardly hook one in the side of the mouth. One thing you didn't see in the demonstrations is it's like a cat, throw it up in the air and it will always land on it's back and upright. I always had a tenuous feeling, especially with a big fish on that it would tear off if you put too much pressure or horse it too much. If you have a good strong hook set and your line will hold then you can really lean on your fish and feel very confident you are going get them in the boat. If you have got a good hook set and your equipment holds up then you have got the fish. One of the main advantages is the dual guide arms, or " weed guards ". They actually act as locking devices and lock the hook in place in the fishes mouth and you have to physically release them in order to remove the hook, like releasing a trap as the hook will be locked in place. I am here to tell you there is definitely no hype here, this is the best thing to ever come along in jigs. If you ever get an opportunity to fish with these you will see for yourselves what I am talking about. I also use them on most of my plastics too, using the jig head bare on the plastics, they are really great for that especially in brush piles and cover. Like Pro Reel said, this is the real deal, around here it has been a closely guarded secret, but for those who know about it and can get their hand on them won't use anything else. Trust me it's well worth the $5.00 investment.
lunkerscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 11:38 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Old 11-14-11, 11:56 AM   #3
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

Where's Ridgeland?, I lived in McComb and Tylertown.
Old 11-14-11, 04:04 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like
The
Facts are
Unsubstantiated.
Old 11-14-11, 04:09 PM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bryce, As an engineer, I'm surprised that you don't see the design of these as being better than the traditional saftey pin style jig. I was impressed right off the bat that someone actually thought about what a jig does after a fish picks it up instead of just trying to make them look better to fisherman. Anyway, I will send you one if you will give it an actuall workout and not just toss it in your box.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 04:12 PM   #6
nofearengineer

I'm always willing to field test something, but in all honesty the only thing I will probably be throwing before next Feb/March are cold weather tantrums.
Old 11-14-11, 04:33 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Thats not spam. Thats the truth. I recomended these to mike234, from this site. Talked to him yesterday and he is placing another order with them today. He loaned 2 of his jigs to a buddy that was fishing a weekend tourney and now that buddy won't give them back. Says they came through brush better than any jig he used before and they caught his only 2 fish of the day, both hooked in the roof of the mouth. His buddy wanted the website to order some himself, mike won't tell him where they come from until he gets his loaner jigs back.
Ok, my bad. That's just my knee jerk reaction when somebody's first post is plugging one product or another. Carry on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkerscore View Post
Where's Ridgeland?, I lived in McComb and Tylertown.
It borders Jackson on the north side, between it and Madison.
Now that I know you're not a spammer, welcome to the site.
Old 11-14-11, 05:36 PM   #8
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, Mississippiboy, one Mississippiboy to another, now transplanted to Table Rock. Kinda miss Percy Quinn tho!!
Old 11-14-11, 04:04 PM   #9
pro reel

Thats not spam. Thats the truth. I recomended these to mike234, from this site. Talked to him yesterday and he is placing another order with them today. He loaned 2 of his jigs to a buddy that was fishing a weekend tourney and now that buddy won't give them back. Says they came through brush better than any jig he used before and they caught his only 2 fish of the day, both hooked in the roof of the mouth. His buddy wanted the website to order some himself, mike won't tell him where they come from until he gets his loaner jigs back.
Old 11-14-11, 04:48 PM   #10
pro reel

Thats OK Missisippiboy, I told the guys at perfect strike to have some actual Missouri anglers join up and tell us about this jig. I'm sure Lunkerscore will stick around when he see's what a great site this is.
Old 11-14-11, 06:17 PM   #11
bamabassman

OH NO...NOT ANOTHER MISSISSIPPIAN!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! if this continues, this site is gonna be covered in mud. lol!!!
Old 11-14-11, 08:06 PM   #12
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

Yal, Mud, Gators and Cotton Mouth, sure do miss em!!
Old 11-14-11, 08:38 PM   #13
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I gave him the site's address today even though I did not get my jigs back. When he receives his I will get them back. He has a Bass Club meeting tonight and everyone there will have the address before its over.
I was going to fish the jigs today but 25mph winds kept me home. I do not know if it was a fluke or they really catch fish that well. but I would tend to take his word as he is a really good fisherman and most of the time places high in the tournaments. He told me he waited until end of tournament to try them and wished he had started with them.
Fishing has been really tough here the past week or so. Bite has not turned back on. We were begining to catch fish 2 weeks ago but something put them back down with lockjaw. He told me a little over 6 lbs won the tournament and that was with 14 boats fishing.
Also he said he was fishing what blow downs that were left in the water and did not get hung up. His best fish came when he hit limb on blow down and jerked it to keep it from hanging. He said as soon as it cleared the limb the LM really hit the jig hard. For a trailer he was using the Hank Parker pork rind.
He is impressed with the jig and that is good enough for me as I have known him around 20 years.

Last edited by mike234; 11-14-11 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 09:01 PM   #14
Tavery5

Maybe it's just my skeptical nature or something else, but when I read this, I keep asking myself, what's to say that this guy would not have caught these same two bass in the roof of the mouth with an Eakins, Dirty, Cabin Fever, or insert your favorite jig here, jig. I just don't see how you can ever prove these jigs catch more fish in the roof of the mouth.

Also, why do these jigs cost $5 dollars, there are no more materials or better components in these jigs than any of the other myriad of jigs on the market, maybe if they were hand tied with nice skirts and great hooks, I could see it,but seem a little overpriced.

Oh well, best of luck with your sales
Old 11-14-11, 09:25 PM   #15
lilmule

Yup same components ,bet the 5 bucks is to make one think it will do better and some would buy them if 14.99,as noone else would have one.
My uncle hepled me tie a fly out of two white sucker sticks,thread and a sparrow feather and it caught fish so for quite some time until it was lost was the go to lure.
Hey ive got some sucker stick lures here 5 bucks ea.This was true by the way yet plenty of sucker buyers out there.
Ps floated like a cork they dont make the things that way now days.(was over 50 years ago)
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 10:34 PM   #16
kennethdaysale

MY Ex-father in-law owned a liquer store for years...once bought hundreds of cases of cheap domestic ripple....case stacked in the floor @ $3.99(triple what he paid) & couldn't give it away. Decided to place 2 bottles at a time by the register @ $14.99...sold it all in a few months.
Not implying thats their marketing strategy but I tend to agree with T5. ..proving hook up ratio's and placements reminds me of someone trying to prove "saved jobs"
Of course I wish them all the luck in the world..the Garcia guy PM'd me an invitation to try one and I will. If its in fact a better mousetrap I'll say so.
Old 11-14-11, 10:53 PM   #17
pro reel

The jigs are $3.99 with free shipping to anyone that want's to get them from the distributer. Right now you have to call him to get that deal. He will have a website up soon. It's Richard Garcia at.

There is absolutly no way that anyone could prove or disprove weather this jig catch's more fish than any other jig. Even if 2 people fish together with 2 different jigs one could still smoke the other based on multiple factors. What you could prove to yourself would take time on the water. The first thing would be can you toss these jigs into thicker brushpiles and work them out without losing them? And do they consistently time after time hook all the bass that grab them in the roof of the mouth. I watched some new videos of Bo tossing them into some nasty thick stuff and crawled them right out of it. He sometimes had to jiggle them a bit and yo yo them a couple times to get them to pop over the next limb, but it was impressive. As for components such as skirts and tied or banded etc, that has nothing to do with if a fish bites the jig or if the jig hooks fish, that stuff does hook a lot of fisherman though. Any decent skirt will look good enough to a bass to pick up a jig. Any decent band should keep a skirt in place for a long time. With that being said, I do like to see tied skirts, they look like top quality, but I don't know that they help in actual fishing conditions. Untill now, there were several things that i looked for in a jig, The very first thing was a cross or horizontal line tie. If they had a vertical line tie they were worthless to me, no mater how nice every thing else was. Thats for several reasons. Denny Brauer has preached about cross line ties for many years, he himself said that vertical line ties help to turn a jig to it's side, then the single brush guard finishes it off. Vertical line ties also cause your knot to slide up and down, That cause jigs to swim at angles that are up or down instead of natural.
The 2nd thing i look for is hooks that can be resharpened. Some jigs are now coming out with the chemically sharpend hook points. Those are super sharp, until they hit a rock, then they are trash. Thats fine for my hooks that I use for plastics, but jigs are to expensive to toss in trash when the hook point gets dull from scraping a rock. The last thing I look at is skirts and bands. If i don't like a skirt or it's bands, thats easy to change or fix. I can tie some wire thread next to the band and then snip it off if I want tied skirts. I can replace stock bands with bands that hold rattles. Any of that can be done to inhance a nice jig, so it's not that important to me. I only have 2 of the alpha jigs right now, both of them have a nice skirt that is similar to the Terminator skirts. They are a slide on skirt with built in collar. I did notice on the perfect strike site that some of the jigs had banded skirts, I don't know if that is from 2 different production runs or if that was done to make certain colors that were not available in the one part skirts, I will ask when I call them again. What I do know is that Bo used a hook designed for this bait, it's not a hook that can be bought off the shelf. It has the angle that he found to be the best for his jig head design. That hook is very sharp, but it can be resharpend with a stone. The hook also has the cross line tie, and the head is cam shaped so it does stay upright when you set the hook. I've seen this in his testing machine and in actual fish caught on video. I have also heard it from a friend of my dads that has been using Bo's original design for many years. I hope to keep seeing the same thing in my actual fishing, but that depends on when I get to go again.
Now for all you that are wondering why I seem so into these jigs. At first it was because i was very impressed with them. Thats why I posted about them here, Then I was contacted by Richard and we worked a deal where they will have a logo on my reel repair site and i will put thier logo on my tourney jersey, I guess you could say they have sorta of sponsored me with free jigs in trade for advertising. This would not be something i would be the least bit interested in if i didn't think the jigs were great. The only thing I get out of it is jigs, and just enough for my personal use.

Last edited by pro reel; 11-14-11 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 06:01 PM   #18
Tavery5

Quote:
As for components such as skirts and tied or banded etc, that has nothing to do with if a fish bites the jig or if the jig hooks fish, that stuff does hook a lot of fisherman though. Any decent skirt will look good enough to a bass to pick up a jig. Any decent band should keep a skirt in place for a long time. With that being said, I do like to see tied skirts, they look like top quality, but I don't know that they help in actual fishing conditions. Until now, there were several things that i looked for in a jig, The very first thing was a cross or horizontal line tie. If they had a vertical line tie they were worthless to me, no mater how nice every thing else was. Thats for several reasons. Denny Brauer has preached about cross line ties for many years, he himself said that vertical line ties help to turn a jig to it's side, then the single brush guard finishes it off. Vertical line ties also cause your knot to slide up and down, That cause jigs to swim at angles that are up or down instead of natural.
The 2nd thing i look for is hooks that can be resharpened. Some jigs are now coming out with the chemically sharpened hook points. Those are super sharp, until they hit a rock, then they are trash. Thats fine for my hooks that I use for plastics, but jigs are to expensive to toss in trash when the hook point gets dull from scraping a rock. The last thing I look at is skirts and bands. If i don't like a skirt or it's bands, thats easy to change or fix. I can tie some wire thread next to the band and then snip it off if I want tied skirts. I can replace stock bands with bands that hold rattles. Any of that can be done to enhance a nice jig, so it's not that important to me. I only have 2 of the alpha jigs right now, both of them have a nice skirt that is similar to the Terminator skirts. They are a slide on skirt with built in collar. I did notice on the perfect strike site that some of the jigs had banded skirts, I don't know if that is from 2 different production runs or if that was done to make certain colors that were not available in the one part skirts, I will ask when I call them again. What I do know is that Bo used a hook designed for this bait, it's not a hook that can be bought off the shelf. It has the angle that he found to be the best for his jig head design. That hook is very sharp, but it can be resharpened with a stone. The hook also has the cross line tie, and the head is cam shaped so it does stay upright when you set the hook. I've seen this in his testing machine and in actual fish caught on video. I have also heard it from a friend of my dads that has been using Bo's original design for many years. I hope to keep seeing the same thing in my actual fishing, but that depends on when I get to go again.
I wanted to post a reply to some of the things said in this post, the first being the comment about skirts. IMO, skirts are a big part of how a jig performs, you can choose between basically three types of materials for jig skirts, flat rubber, round rubber and silicone. Each of these have different properties, the silicone skirts have less movement and less flair when the jig is just sitting stationary, the rubber have much more flair to them. The way they are tied is important in some respects also, as a tied skirt will generally have more flair than a band, bands offer the advantage of easy changes and some have rattle holders but you risk them breaking and not having the materials or time to replace a productive color of skirt. In the last several years silicone skirts have become popular because of all of the colors and patterns that a person can choose from, don't think that anyone who has spent much time on the water has not seen a time or two where bass seem to key in a certain color of bait and anything else is just a waste of time. I agree that patterns and colors catch fisherman as much as fish, but if you keep it simple some key colors seem to always produce, PB&J, Blue/Black, Red/Black, Watermelon /Pumpkin and other natural looking colors. Line ties, I have not read the article that you referenced but I have my own experiences that I will share, line ties are made in both orientations because while one may be good for a certain type presentation the other is better for others. Cross type line ties are great for dragging jigs on the bottom, searching and finding the random piece of cover and banging into it. In-line ties are better for hopping jigs, like when you are in a very rocky area and dragging is not as effective, I personally feel they work better for swimming jigs, if you look at most jigs that a made for swimming they generally have a in-line tie.

The bottom line of this is that we all have experiences and opinions about how, why, and when something works better.

I have been around fishing most of my life, and I can't tell you the number of things that have come out over the years that were going to change the way we fished. So excuse me if I am skeptical about things, but in my book, the proof is in the pudding. If these jigs have truly been around for 15 years, what was the point of keeping them a secret, put them in the hands of some big time pros, let them fish and review them, if they are as good as they say then it wont be long before everyone will have to have them to stay competitive.
Old 11-20-11, 12:41 PM   #19
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Tavery, I thought someone should reply to your query regarding the time frame this has been around. Let me explain my position. I am merely a friend and fishing companion of Bo's and not in anyway connected with the sales and promotion of this product. In my initial thread I was only giving my opinion and experience of fishing with this Jig. I am 80 years old and have been fishing since I was 5.

As I understand it, this has been around since the late 80's. When it first hit the market through a trade show in Los Vegas, the initial orders were so massive they overwhelmed the mfg. capacity and capability therefore, things subsequently fell apart. The partners tried to steal all of the rights and patents and it apparently got into one jumbo legal mess. Afterward Bo brought everything back under his control and it was kept rather quite other than with friends and fishing companions. I guess only until now he was able to generate and fianancial interest to get it started again. Don't hold me to this verbatim, but it this is the way I understand it.

You know if I had your address in Goddard I would be willing to send you some Jigs from my supply. They are for the most part Ir's. and misfits from the original production. They may not be very pretty, but I assure you they will get the job done. The one's we use are of the original design and to me personally they are better than the new one's because they have solid guide arms or weed guards and they are of much stiffer material, like weed eater line. I understand that this was changed on the new design, because they felt this concept would or could not be accepted in the mind set of the fishing community. But to me they are better if you have a strong enough hook set. Not only do they got through cover with a stronger faster pace but also act as a locking device to lock the hook in place.

Anyway, excuse my rambling and the grammatical format here, if you are really interested in forming your own opinion on this and trying what we fish with, then I would be glad to send you half dozen, 1/4 to 1/2 and let you test then for yourself.

Sincerely, Bud Welch
Old 11-20-11, 01:06 PM   #20
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkerscore View Post
Hey Tavery, I thought someone should reply to your query regarding the time frame this has been around. Let me explain my position. I am merely a friend and fishing companion of Bo's and not in anyway connected with the sales and promotion of this product. In my initial thread I was only giving my opinion and experience of fishing with this Jig. I am 80 years old and have been fishing since I was 5.

As I understand it, this has been around since the late 80's. When it first hit the market through a trade show in Los Vegas, the initial orders were so massive they overwhelmed the mfg. capacity and capability therefore, things subsequently fell apart. The partners tried to steal all of the rights and patents and it apparently got into one jumbo legal mess. Afterward Bo brought everything back under his control and it was kept rather quite other than with friends and fishing companions. I guess only until now he was able to generate and financial interest to get it started again. Don't hold me to this verbatim, but it this is the way I understand it.

You know if I had your address in Goddard I would be willing to send you some Jigs from my supply. They are for the most part Ir's. and misfits from the original production. They may not be very pretty, but I assure you they will get the job done. The one's we use are of the original design and to me personally they are better than the new one's because they have solid guide arms or weed guards and they are of much stiffer material, like weed eater line. I understand that this was changed on the new design, because they felt this concept would or could not be accepted in the mind set of the fishing community. But to me they are better if you have a strong enough hook set. Not only do they got through cover with a stronger faster pace but also act as a locking device to lock the hook in place.

Anyway, excuse my rambling and the grammatical format here, if you are really interested in forming your own opinion on this and trying what we fish with, then I would be glad to send you half dozen, 1/4 to 1/2 and let you test then for yourself.

Sincerely, Bud Welch

Bud, a person with your amount of experience is a rare commodity. I truly appreciate your very generous offer to send me some of these jigs to try and it is very tempting to take you up on it. However, I would feel much better if I purchased the jigs from Bo, and used the same ones that are commercially available to everyone. If anyone is interested at that point I would be glad to offer my impartial review of the jigs.

Again, let me tell you how appreciative I am of you coming here offering your experience and very generous offer. I hope you can find the time to drop in occasionally as share some of your experience with us.

Welcome to the site, look forward to talking with you in the future.
Old 11-20-11, 01:15 PM   #21
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the kindness, I'll pass this along to Bo.
Old 11-14-11, 11:39 PM   #22
Tavery5

Just seems odd to me that you or anyone else would so vehemently sing the praises of something they have never even tied line to or thrown in the water. Why not wait until you have some actual on the water time before telling everyone how great a product this is. It comes off to me like the guys that read stuff on other boards and then just parrot them in their own thread. I'm skeptical, I have said that, but for 5 dollars I want someone to make me feel like I am getting something special, not just your run of the mill banded skirt that I can buy in bulk. And I watched the videos of him throwing his jig into the heavy cover, it was kinda impressive, but I still have to say, without throwing any other jig into the same brush pile and getting it hung up, what have you actually proven. I am glad they have lowered their price, makes it more attractive, and I am sure it will be enough to get some people to make a purchase, I still think I am going to stand back and watch. If it is a great product it's not going to go anywhere, they will be available in a year. Good luck with your sponsorship.
Old 11-15-11, 10:46 AM   #23
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Just seems odd to me that you or anyone else would so vehemently sing the praises of something they have never even tied line to or thrown in the water. Why not wait until you have some actual on the water time before telling everyone how great a product this is. It comes off to me like the guys that read stuff on other boards and then just parrot them in their own thread. I'm skeptical, I have said that, but for 5 dollars I want someone to make me feel like I am getting something special, not just your run of the mill banded skirt that I can buy in bulk. And I watched the videos of him throwing his jig into the heavy cover, it was kinda impressive, but I still have to say, without throwing any other jig into the same brush pile and getting it hung up, what have you actually proven. I am glad they have lowered their price, makes it more attractive, and I am sure it will be enough to get some people to make a purchase, I still think I am going to stand back and watch. If it is a great product it's not going to go anywhere, they will be available in a year. Good luck with your sponsorship.
I understand that completly, but don't agree that i have done that. If anyone thinks i have tried to get them to buy something that i have not even used, then i'm sorry you feel that way. If you reread my posts on this, I don't think I ever said that I know it works better than other jigs, I hope it didn't sound like that because i don't know if it works better than other jigs. I won't know that until the end of next year. The reason i was so exicted about this jig and wanted to share what i had seen with you guys was because when I saw it, it just clicked. This makes sense. It's not like this is some new lure that we have never used, it's a jig. As for what a bass will see if you toss this close to one is the same thing they would see with any other jig. I don't need to fish with a jig to know if a bass would pick it up or not. A bass is going to pick up any jig that you pitch in the right spot at the right time. The key is, what happens after that? I know that I personally have lost bass before that i had a good hookset on. I also strongly believe that I have had lots of bass pick up my jigs and had them jerked right out of thier mouth without the hook point grabbing anything. I also know that i have lost a lot of jigs by hooking them in brushpiles. Just a few weeks ago, I and another friend were fishing a deep brushpile and lost several jigs in less than 30 minutes. That brushpile probably looks like a decorated Christmas tree now. When I first saw the perfect strike video, several things about it just clicked, First off, the dual brush guards just make sense. Perfect strike claims that if you use thier jigs, you will not lose nearly as many jigs during a season as you would with other single guard jigs. They have shown the jig on a video where it sure looks like it is less prone to hangups. I got the first 2 jigs from them a few days ago and tried exactly what i said i would do with them. I tied one on and tossed it through the branchs of the tree in my front yard. I was able to drag it through that tree several times and it consistently turned up and flipped over each branch. I tied on a Eakins jig and tried the same thing, it consistently snaged as the hook point didn't turn up. Eakins jigs are my go to jig, i always thought they were some of the best, now I think i found a better jig. If I can fish with one or two jigs all day and not lose them, when i know that normally i might lose several, then that would be worth paying a higher price for the jig. Let me be absolutly clear, I don't know that about these jigs yet, but it looks promising. The next thing about these jigs that initially impressed me was the testing device he used to design the cam head. I do a lot of tinkering and I have always been one of those guys that builds his own stuff or inproves stuff to fit my needs. I was impressed with the thinking that went into this jig. Bo didn't just buy a factory built jig mold of the same design that anyone else can buy and then start selling jigs. He modified existing jigs to see if he could make them turn up consistently and then he had custom molds built to cast them. One of the big reasons that no one else is doing a dual brush guard jig is that the way a jig mold works had to be completly changed to cast a jig like that. It impressed me that they had figured out how to do it and i knew i would try them when I saw that. Many of you have probably watched a show called fishing university. The guy on that show was pushing a jig a few years ago that had dual hooks. He made some of the same points that Bo makes. #1 was that he said all saftey pin style jigs will fall on there side, the dual frog style hook would always have one point facing up. #2, he said that many bass will not be hooked good with the normal jigs because of how they are prone to laying on the side and slipping to the corner of the mouth or right out of the mouth. bass hooked in the corner of the mouth can spit a jig pretty easy because it will tear a small hole in the soft skin there and if he gets any slack, he can spit it. The dual hook jig would always have one point up so it hooked better. Both of those claims made good sense, but i saw one big drawback, to me, dual hooks meant twice as much chance of getting snagged. I was not interested in that jig because i was pretty sure i could not toss it into brush without losing it. When i saw the perfect strike jig, the thought was just the oposite. The idea behind the design makes sense dual brush guards will protect the hook point better than a single guard and it actually exposes more of the hook point to the fish once they pick it up. The cam head was easy the see that it worked, the cam shaped sides turn the jig up and that can be seen with out using them. In a nut shell, when i saw this jig on the videos, i said to myself that that was the jig i wish i had thought to build myself, it just made sense. Now there are several things left to be seen about this jig. Does the paint hold up? I don't know. It looks like it's a baked powder coat and it should hold up. If it doesn't then i will be disapointed about that. Do the skirts last. I don't know why they wouldn't, the skirts on mine are the same as a terminator spinner bait and I love those because i can change them in the boat to get a color change with the same bait. I also have heard from folks that live in the Tablerock area who have been using these jigs for a long time. The guy I know there swears by them and told my Dad that they do exactly what Bo says they do and what the video shows them doing. thats good enough for me, but you guys don't know this person so I understand why that wouldn't mean squat to you. I did get a chance to try the jigs this weekend. I didn't catch a single fish on them. the conditions were the worst i have seen in some time. No one was catching fish like we normally would. I tried everything and i thought i was gonna get skunked. I finally caught one little bass on a deep diving crank and then one more on a drop shot. The only thing I was able to learn about the perfect strike jig this weekend was that it bumped into several brush piles and i didn't lose it and that it swims vertically without rolling on it's side. I only had the 3/8 size, so after a bit, i switched to a 5/8 eakins football head for a faster fall but never got bit on it either.
Old 11-20-11, 11:19 AM   #24
CamG

Quote:
#1 was that he said all saftey pin style jigs will fall on there side, the dual frog style hook would always have one point facing up. #2, he said that many bass will not be hooked good with the normal jigs because of how they are prone to laying on the side and slipping to the corner of the mouth or right out of the mouth.
No offense, but this is a total load of BS. Some safety pin style jigs will fall on there side because they use a vertical hook eye. All the jigs I use have a horizontal eye and they fall straight. They almost always hook a bass in the roof of its mouth.

I have fished jigs nearly all my fishing life. I cannot see these working any better than the jigs I currently use.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 11:54 AM   #25
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
No offense, but this is a total load of BS. Some safety pin style jigs will fall on there side because they use a vertical hook eye. All the jigs I use have a horizontal eye and they fall straight. They almost always hook a bass in the roof of its mouth.

I have fished jigs nearly all my fishing life. I cannot see these working any better than the jigs I currently use.
Cam, that quote was from the fishing university guy about the dual hook jigs he was advertising. I agree, I have caught a lot of bass on jigs where I hooked them in the roof of the mouth, especialy if they bite the bait on the fall. As for the perfect strike jig, I don't recall them saying that they think jigs always fall over in a fish's mouth, only that they can easilly fall over and slide through the fish's jaws. The designer of the perfect strike jig made sure to point out that he caught lots and lots of bass on regular jigs before he designed this jig and that the main thing he was trying to do was make one that always turned up, not just some of the time. He also wanted his to be very resistent to snags so that it could be fished in thick cover without losing a bunch of them. I lose a lot of jigs during a season. I was initially impressed with the dual weed guard and then the shape of the head that seems to rotate the jig up anytime it moves over something. I agree with you on the cross line tie 100%. Denny Brauer started talking about that in magazine articles a long time ago. Denny helped to design a jig that uses that cross line tie hook and one point he makes for it is that the vertical tie will slide out of a fishes mouth easier than than a cross line tie. Thats one reason I have always prefered my eakins jigs with a cross line tie. When I saw the perfect strike jigs I was impressed but not convinced. I did some checking on them and found out that they had actually been in use locally for a long time, but never sucsesfully brought to market on a large scale. I heard from someone I trust that told us he uses them and that they are much harder to get snagged and they his experience with them is that they almost always hook the bass securly in the roof of the mouth. I then did the same thing I have done with several other bait companies. I tried to work a deal to help each other advertise and offered to do some reel service for them to get a supply of baits. They sent me abunch of jigs and I will be cleaning some reels for Bo this winter. I do the same thing with Minda Baits, Moaner hooks and triggerfish baits. All of these are baits or hooks that I like to use and therefore I advertise for them and they advertise for me. If you like the looks of any of those baits or the perfect strike jigs, then try them out, if not, then don't. Makes no difference to me and I certainly don't want any hard feelings with anyone here who seem to have been offended that I like a bait that they don't or are sceptical of.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.