Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-27-06, 04:36 AM   #26
Jive Turkey
BassFishin.Com Member

I am an avid fly fisherman for both largemouth in lakes and farm ponds, and for smallmouth in rivers and streams. I can answer some questions.

First, my opinion on purchasing a fly fishing setup, is that the line is the most important part of the combo. The least important is the reel. This is because the reel is rarely used when retrieving a bass. Instead the line is pinched between the index finger and the rod, and the other hand retrieves the line hand by hand. The reel, with the 200yds of nylon backing, is used mainly for when large saltwater fish run.

When chhosing line, YOU MUST CONSIDER THE CLIMATE YOU FISH. This is a mistake I made. Some 8wt line is meant for cool salmon rivers, while another is meant for bonefish flats. If you fish in a hot climate and use a coldwater line, it will feel gummy and won't "shoot" very well thru the rod guides.

http://www.cortlandline.com/technical/tropic_specs.html

Here is a line for bass fishing, which will most likely be done in hot weather and with big flies and poppers. When I first picked this up, I became twice as effective as before. My casts were much longer and more accurate. I had previously used a Cortland 333, which is a cheaper line that comes with many combos. I don't recommend it for hot weather.
My first setup was the St. Croix 8wt combo, which when switched to the Tropic 444 8wt, weight-forward, floating, rocket(bassbug) taper, became a killer combo for beginners. I still use it even now that I have some nicer tackle.

BTW, the book : Fly Fishing for Dummies is a great tool for anyone interested in learning how to flyfish. It explains the knots and casts very well, and gets into tactics a bit.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 08:39 AM   #27
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

A wooly worm in black with a little red tail or dark green (olive) with red tail works well on a gentle but steady retrieve for bass, also in current, an olive wooly bugger with a brass cone nose works well on smallies. For bream, I like to use rubber spiders in black with either black or white legs....the occasional smallmouth grabbing it will also knock your socks clean off!!! I use a number 5/6 rod with a 4 lb leader. Sometimes a popper seems to be the magic lure, depending on the mood of the fish.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 10:57 PM   #28
jonnyp22
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp22

i also have been talkin alot about trying out fly fishing but do not have a clue aas well... do you know any sites that are good for straight up beginners for fly fishing sniper??
Old 04-01-06, 01:13 AM   #29
Jive Turkey
BassFishin.Com Member

Fly Fishing for Dummies, at your local Barnes and Noble. There is very little free info on FF.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.