Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-08, 07:33 AM   #1
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Mapping a New Lake

Many of the lakes I fish have either no available paper maps or very rudimentary ones with little detail. This problem is only compounded by the fact that many of these lakes are no power motor restricted (no gas or electric motors).

I currently do not own a depthfinder and/or GPS unit nor do I really understand exactly what can be done with them.

Two questions:

1) Given these constraints, what would be the best strategy for mapping these lakes out myself?

2) Is it possible to use a depthfinder/GPS unit to build my own map?

Thanks for the input. I know very little about the technology that is available. I do know that it would be extremely unlikely to find map modules for any product that would have my lakes included.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 10:59 AM   #2
links_man2

Would take a lot of paddling, a depth finder and a GPS along with a Laptop and time to make a map yourself of even a small lake. This website has some USGS topo maps online for free. Didn't check a lot of Canadian sites, but they did have Alberta, BC. Play around with it, may be better than nothing. I also use Google Earth a lot to get satellite images.

http://mapper.acme.com/
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 11:00 AM   #3
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

tELL ME WHAT LAKE i'LL CHECK MY gps WATER CHARTS FOR YOU.
Old 01-05-08, 11:20 AM   #4
Bob Smith

No electric motor!? Whazzup wiff DAT?? My suggestion would be to find one without all those restrictions! LOL
They sure make it tough on you guys up there!
Old 01-05-08, 01:19 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
No electric motor!? Whazzup wiff DAT?? My suggestion would be to find one without all those restrictions! LOL
They sure make it tough on you guys up there!
bobber
my guess is there tiny lil lakes -we'd call them ponds- i belive he is in the "pot hole" region..

wall street
a depth finder and a gps is the only way to do it your self.. i would start in a creek finger and fish it ALL. keeping very accuate notes. bottom type,struture,depth,noting anything odd under water.-drop offs,humps,creek channel,ect..

zooker
Old 01-05-08, 02:00 PM   #6
3dkicker

Google Earth gives a pretty good picture of the area but not as sharp as other places. You won't get a good image from GM. I found Invermere and probably one of the "ponds" you are talking about. Best of luck to you finding a chart for it. If you have something like US Geological Survey then you might find a map (which isn't a chart). I'd blow up whatever map I could into sections then work different areas and detail each section with depths, cover, etc. Use landmarks on the shoreline and use them to line things up on your maps.

Oh, and Radium Hot Springs Lodge looks like the vacation spot of the year......take a little vacation, grab a little uranium, get a little cancer....oh boy.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 01-05-08 at 02:05 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 03:01 PM   #7
WTL

I can remember one time where I was concentrating on a small reservoir impounded in 1929, and I wanted a topo but none was available.

What I ended up doing was going to UA's website and looking up a historical topographic map from before the time when the thing was impounded, I think it was 1911 or something, and I then just superimposed the shoreline on that. It wasnt great, but it was something. Given you local, not sure that its of use but figured Id mention it for someone.
Old 01-05-08, 04:56 PM   #8
zooker

www.topomap.com try thissite

zooker
Old 01-05-08, 05:26 PM   #9
WallStreetAmigo

Zooker, you are correct that the main lakes I fish are small. The one I am most interested in mapping is about 4000 acres, give or take.
Old 01-05-08, 05:32 PM   #10
WallStreetAmigo

Bob, the main reason some of these lakes are no motors is that they are part of wildlife conservation areas.

In addition, local residents and the rod and gun club have lobbied very strongly to keep them no motors to preserve the quality of the fishery.

These two factors are the main reasons.

It doesn't bother me much as I usually have the whole lake to myself. It does suck though when the wind and waves come up and blow you a mile away from your truck!
Old 01-05-08, 05:39 PM   #11
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I can remember one time where I was concentrating on a small reservoir impounded in 1929, and I wanted a topo but none was available.

What I ended up doing was going to UA's website and looking up a historical topographic map from before the time when the thing was impounded, I think it was 1911 or something, and I then just superimposed the shoreline on that. It wasnt great, but it was something. Given you local, not sure that its of use but figured Id mention it for someone.
Actually it's funny you mention that WTL. This one lake is actually enclosed by a series of dykes constructed in the 1950's I believe. That might be a good place to start.
Old 01-05-08, 05:41 PM   #12
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by links_man2 View Post
Would take a lot of paddling, a depth finder and a GPS along with a Laptop and time to make a map yourself of even a small lake. This website has some USGS topo maps online for free. Didn't check a lot of Canadian sites, but they did have Alberta, BC. Play around with it, may be better than nothing. I also use Google Earth a lot to get satellite images.

http://mapper.acme.com/
Thanks for the site. I got a pretty good base map with a good view of the shoreline.
Old 01-05-08, 05:44 PM   #13
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZILLA View Post
tELL ME WHAT LAKE i'LL CHECK MY gps WATER CHARTS FOR YOU.
Hey Rob, it's Duck Lake outside Creston BC. Another couple I'm looking for are Vaseux Lake in Okanagan Falls BC and Osoyoos Lake in Osoyoos BC.
Old 01-06-08, 05:56 PM   #14
weidner21
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to weidner21 Send a message via Yahoo to weidner21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
Zooker, you are correct that the main lakes I fish are small. The one I am most interested in mapping is about 4000 acres, give or take.
4000 acres is considered small?
weidner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 06:44 PM   #15
pig n jig

Not much can be found. Its a protected area for birds.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...wellriver.html
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 06:52 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner21 View Post
4000 acres is considered small?
i thought the same thing..

4000 acres would be a lake roughly 5 miles by 8 miles size wise..

zooker
Old 01-06-08, 08:20 PM   #17
WallStreetAmigo

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. I always think of it as pretty small because it is right next to Kootenay Lake, which is massive. Also, a lot of the bass lakes in the U.S. are massive by comparison.
Old 01-06-08, 09:50 PM   #18
zooker

Quote:
I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. I always think of it as pretty small because it is right next to Kootenay Lake, which is massive. Also, a lot of the bass lakes in the U.S. are massive by comparison.

this guy needs to fish buggs island or santee cooper some time..

zooker
Old 01-07-08, 07:50 AM   #19
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
this guy needs to fish buggs island or santee cooper some time..

zooker
All in good time, zooker......
Old 01-07-08, 05:05 PM   #20
bassnman30

Zook,
Even Highrock (15,500).
Old 01-07-08, 05:21 PM   #21
WallStreetAmigo

lol - go ahead guys, give me the gears!

Trust me on this one guys, I would much rather fish a huge lake with all kinds of fishing maps, tournament results, internet fishing reports, and places where a lot of guys have fished and could provide insight and information. Unfortunately I am not blessed with all that info for the waters I get to fish. If you think about it in those terms, a 4000 acre lake with no available information and no motors allowed would be a significant challenge for even the most experienced angler.

You guys are really lucky that you have those kinds of options available to you.
Old 01-07-08, 07:00 PM   #22
links_man2

WallStreet---Being of the older vintage, I have fished lots on huge lakes with no maps, no tourn results, no Internet (wasn't born) reports, .... You learn to read the cover, read the bank, read your gut, watch for bait fish, watch the birds, then eventually you even got one of those fancy flashers. If you learn to fish, you don't need all that other stuff.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 07:26 PM   #23
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by links_man2 View Post
WallStreet---Being of the older vintage, I have fished lots on huge lakes with no maps, no tourn results, no Internet (wasn't born) reports, .... You learn to read the cover, read the bank, read your gut, watch for bait fish, watch the birds, then eventually you even got one of those fancy flashers. If you learn to fish, you don't need all that other stuff.
Point well taken. That's the reason why I have resisted the temptation to go buy a depthfinder this long. I am trying to map the lake out myself now that I have fished it for a season and have a general idea of those factors. I have learned those lessons you mention, and I agree that all the technology in the world won't make you a better fisherman if you don't have the instincts, intuition, and ability to read the conditions you are faced with.

To give a non-fishing example: When I was first starting out in my career, I learned without the aid of a computer even though everyone else laughed at me working away forever on things the computer could do in five minutes. Pencil and paper all the way for me. Long mathematical calculations and complex analysis. I did it this way not because I had to (there were computers around and I knew a bit about using them) but because of the reasons you stated above. I was first starting out and knew only one thing: If I didn't understand the principles, I would never be truly great at what I do.

That principle goes with me in everything I do, including fishing. Having said that, I also believe that using technology, advice from more experienced people, and all other resources that are available to me is just a smart thing to do.

I guess I could have saved the time it took to write the novel above and just said that learning and constantly improving my skill is the true reason I fish. That and you will all want to be my friend when I catch a 25 pounder!
Old 01-07-08, 07:31 PM   #24
zooker

Quote:

You guys are really lucky that you have those kinds of options available to you.
who said we have these kinds of options?? the only thing i belive in is where i have caught them before. and trial and error i used to to find the right bait in the right color and use it in the right place...

nuff said

zooker
Old 01-07-08, 07:44 PM   #25
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
who said we have these kinds of options?? the only thing i belive in is where i have caught them before. and trial and error i used to to find the right bait in the right color and use it in the right place...

nuff said

zooker
zook, are you saying you never look at a fishing map, use electronics to find structure or baitfish, or discuss fishing techniques or great fishing spots with your buddies?

I know you're good but I'm willing to bet that at some point in time before you developed those super senses you used some other resources other than trial and error...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.