Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-21-09, 09:44 AM   #1
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I'm about to quit......

Fishing this one spot. I mean I've thrown everything at these Bass and haven't had any takers in a long time. Last year and early this year this same spot produced some real nice Bass and they weren't this hard to hook. I've hooked some on Senkos, topwater snake, crankbait, regular worms you name it.
What do you guys think I should use? I've thrown topwater, spinners, jigs, craws, snakes (I saw a real snake swimming on top of the water, I waited to see a fish explode on it...nope) Worms, every color every size. I'm stumped, I see the fish on their beds and they are hitting the top of the water like crazy, I mean the action there is intense. Just not on the end of my line.

I've never had this problem before, some please shed some light on my problem. Thanks everyone
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 09:55 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd try the shakey head, dropshot, wacky rigged senko, and maybe try topwater again. Try a bunch of differnt kinds. a walk the dog type bait, a buzzbait, a popper, maybe a frog, a propbait.

BB
Old 07-21-09, 10:04 AM   #3
sac

It's just hit or miss there. I've got a 5lbr on a snake, and Bigfelk22 got a 4.5lbr on a popper months from eachother. They must best the finikiest fish on the planet.....I haven't tried explosives yet though.....LOL J/K!
Old 07-21-09, 10:07 AM   #4
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

you could show them pictures of sigourney weaver.
that always makes me wanna take a hook through the mouth.

either that or a buzzbait.
Old 07-21-09, 10:11 AM   #5
aikenyounggun

is this like a pond, or can you go find a new spot, just a new idea, lets not live in the past

just b/c it produced fish last year, dont mean its gonna this year

but if there is still activity for for a rattle trap or a wacky worm
Old 07-21-09, 10:13 AM   #6
sac

Hmmm buzzbait, I haven't tried that one yet. I'll take a pic of the spot today, to give everyone a better idea.

What color buzzbait? What's a good buzzbait, I only have the Wal-Mart $1 ones in black
Old 07-21-09, 10:32 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
Hmmm buzzbait, I haven't tried that one yet. I'll take a pic of the spot today, to give everyone a better idea.

What color buzzbait? What's a good buzzbait, I only have the Wal-Mart $1 ones in black

i nailed a 2lber last night on a chart/white buzzbait (picture and thread coming soon) ....

i always carry three colors of every lure....light,neutral,dark
(basically white/chart / green / blk purple..) for starters

the few i throw are cheap one...slighty modified...i added a small grub tail and a trailer hook....drilled a small hole on both sides of the blade in the middle (for more sound and action)...just little easy things....keep the wire and blade lined up with the hook and they perform fine.
buzzbaits are fun to throw....just play with it and figure out different ways to retrieve it.
Old 07-21-09, 12:11 PM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Cavitron and Booyah. Booyah's are much easier to find without ordering online.

I use 4 colors in buzzbaits. Black, White, Chartreuse, and Booyah's Citreuse.

BB
Old 07-21-09, 12:15 PM   #9
sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
is this like a pond, or can you go find a new spot, just a new idea, lets not live in the past

just b/c it produced fish last year, dont mean its gonna this year

but if there is still activity for for a rattle trap or a wacky worm
It's producing Bass, just not a lot and not very often (or as often as I'd like). It's close to my house and a nice place to fish. I've got one on a rattle trap earlier this year, I guess I'll throw that and a buzzbait today. We shall see. Thanks guys
Old 07-21-09, 01:15 PM   #10
Raul

The answer is simple, you are simply trying too hard to ketch them.

Let me give you an example, there I was at this pond, the water is crystal clear and I can see this big momma on the nest, like you, I threw anything I had in my tackle box ---> no takers. My nephew walks next to me casts this 4 inch grub and it lands about 15 ft from the fish and the fish comes after the grub like a bat out of hell after the bait , my nephew hooks it and lands it , go figure.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 01:19 PM   #11
swimbaitkid

Quote:

U gotta get rid of those things.jk but i use the booyah one with a clacker in white or black,fish arent picking on color when they see that thing,if they want there gonna eat no matter what color it is
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 02:18 PM   #12
sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
The answer is simple, you are simply trying too hard to ketch them.

Let me give you an example, there I was at this pond, the water is crystal clear and I can see this big momma on the nest, like you, I threw anything I had in my tackle box ---> no takers. My nephew walks next to me casts this 4 inch grub and it lands about 15 ft from the fish and the fish comes after the grub like a bat out of hell after the bait , my nephew hooks it and lands it , go figure.
I think you're right! Everytime I've got a fish there I really didn't care if I did or not. I've been on this mission to find what these fish really want. This is the only spot I have trouble with, I know there's fish here, I can see them schooling.

I think I'm just going to try the buzz bait and the rattle trap today and not be so intense on trying to catch these monsters that I'm staring at. It's so hard not to when they are only a couple feet away
Old 07-21-09, 02:34 PM   #13
swimbaitkid

throw a senko or crappie jig way out in front of them if they are crusing,im telling you they will eat one of those lures if u try it
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 02:49 PM   #14
sac

I'll get my girl's Hannah Montana Set up out and use here Crappie lures LOL

Senko's have worked there, just not lately. I think I'm thinking too much
Old 07-21-09, 03:45 PM   #15
JerseyFisher

try a drop shot
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 05:14 PM   #16
Jim80

I would try t-rigging a trick worm just hop it hard and let it flutter back down to the bottom

Jim
Old 07-21-09, 05:16 PM   #17
bigjim

Quote:
Fishing this one spot. I mean I've thrown everything at these Bass and haven't had any takers in a long time. Last year and early this year this same spot produced some real nice Bass and they weren't this hard to hook. I've hooked some on Senkos, topwater snake, crankbait, regular worms you name it.
What do you guys think I should use? I've thrown topwater, spinners, jigs, craws, snakes (I saw a real snake swimming on top of the water, I waited to see a fish explode on it...nope) Worms, every color every size. I'm stumped, I see the fish on their beds and they are hitting the top of the water like crazy, I mean the action there is intense. Just not on the end of my line.

I've never had this problem before, some please shed some light on my problem. Thanks everyone
ive been having the same issue up be me, fish jumping everywhere except on my hook, very aggravating..not even when im throwing spinners, and i always catch a couple on spinners thats my go-to
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 01:03 PM   #18
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Effect Carp have on Bass

So the lake I usually go to fish at (from shore) has alot of carp hitting the top of the water early in the morning and into the early afternoon. Were talkin every 5-10 seconds... Do these fish have any kind of effect on the bass? and why they may not be present in what seems like a great area to fish? (Rock bottom, 87 degrees, 4 ft of visibility, mouth of a cove that is loaded with timber.) Anyone know a thing or two?
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 03:24 PM   #19
bigjim

i have a pond in my area that has that same issue, so im curious as well to what the experts here have to say.. i talked to guy there last nite on my way out as he was on his way to start, i wasnt even sure if there was bass in there, but he said there was. but out of all the times hes gone hes only caught 1
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 12:50 PM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

You tried fishing it at night yet? How is the water depth? Skinny water in the summer AKA "Dog Days" can be tough if they don't have any depths to get to. Try some light weighted or weightless lizards in 4 and 6" and fish them slow or dead sticking them.
Old 07-23-09, 03:03 PM   #21
sac

I was thinking about trying at night. A lot of the Bass are chilling at the bank on beds in less that a ft of water. (makes me want to just reach down and grab'em). You can see schools in the middle, which is 4-6ft tops. I just got a new buzzbait to try that, and prob try some lizards too. Thanks all
Old 07-23-09, 03:45 PM   #22
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

If you can see the fish the fish can see you and anyone else that tries for them. Try backing off from the spot if you can and blind cast the bait you have most confidence in, I'd try a senko type bait.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 04:01 PM   #23
sac

No, I stand way back, somtimes behind a hill. I walk up the bank before I leave just for fun and to see the fish that won't bite. And Senko's work sometimes.
Old 08-04-09, 11:46 PM   #24
PondBomber
BassFishin.Com Member

How big is the place your fishing? A pond? Sometimes between the pressure and heat they can get hard to catch, no matter what you throw.
PondBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 03:31 AM   #25
wargoth

I'm just sitting here wondering what the hell the bass are still doing on the beds this late in the year... I haven't seen one on the bed up here since early June. Fortunately for me, I have a few local "ponds" within walking distance that the fish have almost never even seen a hook. I had the exact opposite response out there today, they hit on every damn thing I threw all afternoon, then about 2 hours till sunset, the tanks all started getting active. Total count between my buddy and I was... hell I don't know, we tried counting them but lost track after 60. Even landed a dozen and a half over 5# (monsters for Ohio).

My only thoughts for you though are what is the fishing pressure like there? If it is high, try throwing things that are just totally off the wall, I use steelhead spoons sometimes, or tube jigs more suited for smallies, often old school lures that nobody throws anymore on high pressure lakes with pretty good results most of the time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.