Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-28-10, 12:57 AM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Baitcasters and line

When putting new line on a reel, how many of ya just strip off enough that you kmow won't get past the knot or put all new line on. I bought a couple spools of 100yds and it got me to thinking about this.
Old 11-28-10, 01:25 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I tend to split my reels about half backing, half good line. This is when I'm using fluorocarbon and braid. Mono's cheap enough that I just spool the whole thing usually.

BB
Old 11-28-10, 02:05 AM   #3
bassinbob

I used to always put on a whole new spool. I think for next year I will leave some on for backing. The reason is I had some line left over and did spool it on to the reel this past summer. I noticed no problems doing this.
Old 11-28-10, 03:52 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I back my braid, but I haven't ever tried backing mono or flouro. Might be worth a try though.
Old 11-28-10, 08:38 AM   #5
Jim80

I have never backed braid or fluorocarbon but i will mainly say that that is laziness . With braid i don't see the need as i don't use any under 60# and i hate tying connector knots .

Jim
Old 11-28-10, 11:17 AM   #6
bamabassman

Mono line and braid is all i use. With mono i respool the whole thing. Haven't had to respool the braid yet.
Old 11-28-10, 11:54 AM   #7
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I actually did start doing that a few years ago. I have a lot of reels and I use some fairly expensive line. It doesn't take long to realize that replacing the entire spool with new line is a huge waste of money. I fish often enough that I respool line several times a year. I have reels dedicated to certain techniques and I know aproximatly what the longest cast i would ever make with that rig is. I strip enough so that I will never have the knot come off the spool. I tie a blood type or double clinch knot, I put a dot of super glue on it to be sure it could never slip if I did have a giant fish take lots of line. Once a year I remove all the line to clean the reels for the winter. The following spring I will use a full spool of monoon reel that get mono. I use 3/4 spool of flouro and braid over a 1/4 spool of mono backing.

Last edited by pro reel; 11-28-10 at 02:25 PM.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 12:15 PM   #8
bassboogieman

I use backing on all my reels. I use about 40 yards (regular spools, wide spools take a little more), or about 1/3 of a spool, of mono backing, cover with electrical tape, then add the main line. I'm using mostly f/c or co-polymer line on baitcasters, braid on spinning. Spooling 13 baitcasters, this saves me over 500 yds of the expensive line, figure if f/c that's TWO entire spools at $15 - $20 per. I also spool 5 spinnnng reels and that's another 200 yd., or 1 spool of expensive line NOT uesed.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 02:41 PM   #9
ted4800
BassFishin.Com Member

Ever since I started using braid line I have econmized by new line and then at the end of the first season strip and reverse the line onto the spool as what is next to the center of the spool the firs year never sees the water and thus is new line forward for the second year. Not ting jsu ecno minded. No sense to waste.
ted4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 06:28 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

I use backing when I am spooling with braid. Other than that I don't use backing.
Old 11-28-10, 10:28 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Now that I've switched to micro guides, I can spool myself casting a 1/16 oz dry fly on 40lb mono with a 5'0" H XF tuna rod, so it's full spools only...no more backing for me.

(just a joke guys...)
Old 11-28-10, 10:38 PM   #12
bassboogieman

I'll have what he's smoking.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 12:16 PM   #13
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

I use mono backing with electrical tape on my reels that have fluorocarbon.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 12:19 PM   #14
Bassboss

I think I'm gonna stop using a backing. Being a shore angler and always casting with trees and bushes behind me, I'll often get a nasty line cutting backlash, when the lure hits a tree as I cast. So I'll have 20 yards of good line out, and 20 of zebco ultracast nylon line! If I git bit, it's gone!!
Old 11-30-10, 05:05 PM   #15
WaffleJaw

I back everything with cheap mono...Never had an issue.
Im sure I never will.

Sammy, start paying attention to your surroundings and you'll be fine.
Old 11-30-10, 10:27 PM   #16
bassinbob

Bassboss you need one of them rocket rods.
Old 12-01-10, 02:19 AM   #17
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I think I'm gonna stop using a backing. Being a shore angler and always casting with trees and bushes behind me, I'll often get a nasty line cutting backlash, when the lure hits a tree as I cast. So I'll have 20 yards of good line out, and 20 of zebco ultracast nylon line! If I git bit, it's gone!!

BB, you could always underhand cast. Anyway, just from one shorebound angler to another. I never ever get caught up in the trees or shrubs behind me with an underhand cast.
Old 12-01-10, 08:33 AM   #18
rrw4258

Like Waffle, I back everything with a cheap mono, usually the cheap wally world stuff for a couple bucks... there is no sense in using a full spool of premium line when you can use 1/2 to 3/4 of a spool instead. When my casts are getting close to the backing I respool the main line and leave the backing.

Ryan
Old 12-01-10, 12:45 PM   #19
walkeraviator

Im with Bassboss... i end up takin so much line off the reel, i need a whole spool of whatever i use. But being as i dont use braid, and only use Flouro on a few rods, its not a cost issue...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 10:24 AM   #20
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use backing on most everything. I even use backing on a spinning reel that I use solely for the purpose of throwing small crankbaits. I do that because I use expensive line and my spinning reel can hold 150 yards of 8 lb test especially if I use small diameter fireline.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 02:15 PM   #21
Bob Smith

I use backing on just about all my reels too. I try to accomplish two things when I re-spool. I walk off about 2 1/2 cast distance for the new line. I also try to estimate how much backing I have so as to make sure the new line will top out on the spool (a full spool cast further and takes up quicker than one that is less than full). Once you get it nailed you can leave the backing on forever and the knot will be your gage for the next, and subsequent re-spools (in other words it will automatically fill to about 2 1/2 cast distance).
With today's prices for premium line it pays to even use backing when re-spooling with mono too.
Old 12-04-10, 03:54 PM   #22
bassinbob

With all this backing going on why don't the reel manufacter's pick up on this and sell extra spools that hold less line? A lot of people say a bass will never spool a reel.
Old 12-04-10, 07:57 PM   #23
Garry2rs

With casting reels, I always used to put backing on with about half a spool (75 yards) of braid. However I found that when that line got too short it was garbage.
Now I fill the spool. When it starts to get short, I top-up the spool with cheap mono. Then I reverse the line so that the mono is inside and the fresh end is out. I can continue to do this by adding more mono and reversing the line until the remaining braid become so shot I am casting it all out.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 09:33 PM   #24
Bender

I back all my braid and most of my Fluoro. I get 1/4# spools of the mono that I use and have tons of it left over for backing. Just remember with heavy braid you don't need much behind it with casting applications since it takes up a lot of room on the spool. I messed up and can get into or really close to the backing on my spook rod and frog rod.

I too wish manufacturers would make smaller spools but then the line companies would complain since people wouldn't buy so much line. Maybe it could be an aftermarket thing that slips over your spool to take up space. It would need to be pretty light weight and rigid though. Also it would have to clam shell open to go over the spool. Hmmmm.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 09:41 PM   #25
Imgoodatwhatido

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
With all this backing going on why don't the reel manufacter's pick up on this and sell extra spools that hold less line? A lot of people say a bass will never spool a reel.

they actually do, but mostly are available options on japanese supertuned reels. Stuff that i could never afford
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.