Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-08-05, 04:58 AM   #1
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Limiting the Amount fo Tackle

Hey all,
I never see this question asked that much, so here it goes. I want to try and limit my tackle selection, only because I believe it will make me a better fisherman in the long run. I have a flyfishing vest, with tons of pockets. I know I need to take the bascis items, such as Hooks, Wieghts, Split shots, etc. I put my hooks and weights in old game boy game cartridge cases, I have 2 plano pockets size utility boxes, in which I put 2 or 3 Poppers, 1 Floating Stickbait, 2 mini buzzbaits, 1 or 2 Jigs, 2 Mann's Minus 1's. Also Packed 4 bags of plastics, 4 in. Tiki Dipstick in Black Blue Flake/Blue Tip, Red Shad Culprit Ribbontail Worms, Zoom Flukes in baby bass, and Zoom U-Tale in junebug. The Rod I will be taking is a 6ft MH Fenwick, and It has 8lb line on it. A little light, but I fish clear water, and these fish are gun shy. What are your takes on this, and what would you carry in the vest? I also have spinnerbaits, 3 of them, firetiger, black, and white, all with trailer hooks. I store them in a round plastic container I got from electrical tape.
Old 10-08-05, 08:17 AM   #2
Fishie

Sounds good
Old 10-08-05, 10:46 AM   #3
KH.

welll it would be good if you dont want to take all your tackle.theres a ole saying that goes like this"there mre the merrier."excellent idea if your goin to
be in streams and stuff and acting like your a fly fisherman.but thats simpily not enough to be ready for anything.heres some of the things you missed.

cranks,2 baby 1 minus's arnt enough,you need at least one rattletrap and depending on the depth,some mediums and deep divers.
plastics,its always good to have a better selection of 4 plastics,i would pack
a pack of lizards,curly tails,and watermelon and red shad tikis like you mentioned.

and many more
Old 10-08-05, 12:03 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nothing wrong with limiting tackle. A lot depends on where you fish. For example, I occasionally fish a dammed up creek with a lot of weed growth. I take A couple bags of flukes, Tiki Sticks, maybe some plastic worms, and a couple topwaters, and that's it. Throw in a couple of rods and I'm set. No need to lug around a lot of stuff you won't use.
Old 10-08-05, 12:28 PM   #5
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Every time I limit tackle it seems like that is the only thing people are catching on.
Old 10-08-05, 01:23 PM   #6
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Nothing wrong with limiting tackle. A lot depends on where you fish. For example, I occasionally fish a dammed up creek with a lot of weed growth. I take A couple bags of flukes, Tiki Sticks, maybe some plastic worms, and a couple topwaters, and that's it. Throw in a couple of rods and I'm set. No need to lug around a lot of stuff you won't use.
thats kinda what ive meant,i think i made it sound offensive,but no intention.theres nothing wrong limiting tackle,it just he needed a little more stuff.smart move with the gameboy case powerbass,seems like a good idea since its so small.
Old 10-09-05, 10:36 AM   #7
zooker

i go through my tackle once a year and thin it out -a great excuse for buying more-i normally end up with a bucket of stuff i did not use the year before..

zooker
Old 10-09-05, 11:57 AM   #8
KH.

yeah zook,i wish when i started fishing that i actually knew about the sport.
probbally spent over 200 dollars on crap that i didnt even use,i still wont use today
Old 10-10-05, 07:11 AM   #9
Mac1

One way to limit is to cut down on the number of each soft plastic you carry. Instead of a baggie of green pumpkin tubes, cut it down to three....same goes for worms, grubs, flukes, etc. Now, of course if you know a certain area is really hard on lures such as heavy weeds, you can adjust accordingly. I think having tones of lures would work well......one light colored worm type, one medium and one dark (3 worms each hue).....just for example.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 10:08 AM   #10
JB

I disagree on only 3 worms. If you get a color that is hot 3 of them goes fast...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 05:28 PM   #11
zooker

i agree with jb i have gone through 4 packs of paca craws during a tourny this year..

zooker
Old 10-10-05, 05:32 PM   #12
KH.

tiki sticks only last 2 fish a worm,if theiir real small,seems like they smaller the fish,the more tore up the worms get
Old 10-10-05, 05:32 PM   #13
KH.

in other words i disagree also
Old 10-10-05, 06:08 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Impossible for mE to limit my tackle, I've tried 9 times in tourneys, and 10 times on other folks boats. It's always the same big bag, and plastic carriers, and 6 rods/reels.

LIZARDS
Old 10-10-05, 06:30 PM   #15
KH.

the sky is not the limit
Old 10-10-05, 06:57 PM   #16
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I take everything with me. Tell me. If a car breaks down do you only take a few wrenches and bolts or do you take a tool box with some extra spark plugs and parts. No. Thats the way I see it. But I do leave some stuff such as my box with my extra lures such as my extra bags of worms that I dont use because I have to many of the same kind and dont need 4 or 5 bags of the same color in my box.
Old 10-10-05, 07:10 PM   #17
JB

Default mix n match plastics for time of year

Often times I'll sub. some dif. trays of cranksbaits or for particular size waters, or pack just 20 or so spinnerbaits instead of carrying my spinnerbait box.
Many times if you know the size you need to carry for one lack, it makes no sense to carry deep diving plugs when your going to be in 7 feet of water or less...and many ohio lakes are shallow like that.
It goes without saying your bound to carry more lizards during the spring, compared to perhaps tiki sticks later down the road in summer.
Some people I fish with seperate thier tackle by color, or size, or type, this way you can find some extra room in your box for other junk (food, maps, scales etc), and change the mix of plastics as the year goes on....
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 05:56 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

ZOOK

I do the same every year and the boys love it. They always end up with a couple hundred dollars of stuff each. Bad thing is later on when I am fishing there has been the time the thought has been "Crap I shouldn't have given them that they would hit that right now" LOL Oh well thats why they call it fishin and not catchin. Also WOW what a bait. Shad imitator to the t. They climbed all over it like there was no tommorrow. The faster I run it the better.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 07:41 AM   #19
lizardsrule

zooker,

shhhhh on the etnay, pacay, craway's. No point in increasing the prices. Or the competition.

Lizards
Old 10-11-05, 12:30 PM   #20
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh51501
welll it would be good if you dont want to take all your tackle.theres a ole saying that goes like this"there mre the merrier."excellent idea if your goin to
be in streams and stuff and acting like your a fly fisherman.but thats simpily not enough to be ready for anything.heres some of the things you missed.

cranks,2 baby 1 minus's arnt enough,you need at least one rattletrap and depending on the depth,some mediums and deep divers.
a pack of lizards,curly tails,and watermelon and red shad tikis like you mentioned.

and many more
I do have 2 ratl traps packed, one is baby bass the other is siler and blue chrome.
Old 10-11-05, 03:33 PM   #21
River stumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh51501

and many more
I agree with KH... Don't put yourself in a position wishing you had brought more stuff. I always fish from my boat and I always carry every thing that I possibably can. I always have five bait casters loaded on deck and three spinners loaded and my rod box usually full. I have all my crank baits in one box, my spinners and my soft plastics in other sections. I know everyone dosen't fish from a boat. But, when I was a young fellow starting out, my dad gave me an old two wheeled dollie cart that I modified to hold my tackle box and three rods and reels and my lunch and just about anything else I wanted to take with me to the river, lake or pond.. For you guys that fish from the bank, it may be something worth spending a couple of bucks on, at least you would have all your stuff with you... Good luck and happy fishing.
Old 10-11-05, 07:03 PM   #22
Rebbasser

I just did what Zooker and Laser did-went through my soft plastics and pulled probably 20 pounds out of the boat. Mostly duplicates-I don't need 10 bags of watermelon/chartreuse tiki sticks in the boat. I kept a max of 4 bags of the colors I use the most, and one or two of the other colors. I also removed the colors I KNOW I won't use. I can adjust accordingly when needed. Surprise, surprise I have a lot more storage space in the boat now.
Old 10-11-05, 07:07 PM   #23
KH.

i have never bought tackle in the winter,does the price go down????if so im stocking up on plastics,tikis in particuliar
Old 10-11-05, 07:10 PM   #24
Rebbasser

Wait until after Christmas. WalMart usually starts clearing their stuff out then, and you can get some good bargains.
Old 10-12-05, 04:58 AM   #25
zooker

told ya laser use a 6.2 or better .what ya think i was joking?? i aint messed with it for 6 years fer nothing...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.