Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-23-06, 09:25 PM   #1
floridabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spinner baits

Why are spinner baits supposed to be highly productive in windy conditions. If you choose to use a spinnerbait in calm conditions would you have to downsize? This seems to be one of the top search baits for most angler but I just dont seem to have the right touch ... or the right knowledge? Is there a secret to the spinnerbait?
floridabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 09:42 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am not an expert, but I can catch fish on a spinnerbait, reeling it pretty fast keeping the bait up just under the surface and really moving as fast as I can without bulging the surface, or break the surface.I have to throw it alot of times before I get a fish to hit it.The other way is to retreive them so you can just barely see the blades flash a pulse under water on the retreive.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 09:50 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't downsize, unless I see small bait popping ,usually in the fall when I match the spinnerbait closer to the bait size. The reason windy days are good is because it pulls bass from cover out in the open nearer the surface and shallower making it easier to catch them with a spinnerbait. Its a great search bait type lure when the bass scatter from their normal hiding spots.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 09:52 PM   #4
floridabass
BassFishin.Com Member

When you generally get a hit on the spinnerbait do you tend to keep fishing the spinnerbait in that area, keep moving on with the spinner bait or stay in that area and start to unload the rest of your tackle box trying to develop a pattern?
Old 06-23-06, 09:54 PM   #5
floridabass
BassFishin.Com Member

So the water being messed up by the wind give the fish some courage to go out and search for food. And when the water is more clear they tend to hold tighter to cover?
Old 06-23-06, 10:25 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Other way around-they hold tighter to cover in stained/muddy water.

The way the wind works is it blows plankton up on the bank, baitfish follow it, and bass follow the baitfish. Plus having the stirred up water makes it easier for the bass to ambush the prey. If you have a mudline work the edge of it-talk about an ambush spot.
Old 06-23-06, 10:57 PM   #7
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If I get bit on a spinnerbait, I'll fish every inch of what is there. If no other hits on the blade, then I'll go to something else. Often times you can pick up a few other fish. The fish probably took the spinnerbait because she may have been the most agressive one there.
Old 06-24-06, 12:57 AM   #8
mymomisbecky

one important thing to remember is.
Clear water - willow blades, and reel FAST. FAST, FAST, and then faster
Muddy Water - painted blades, or gold, chartruese skirt bump the cover where the bass are holding tight.

Biggest thing is clear water, FAST.. you cant reel fast enough.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 01:11 PM   #9
floridabass
BassFishin.Com Member

when is a good time to use colorodo blades, or a mix of colorodo willow leaf blades?
Old 06-24-06, 04:12 PM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

let me exsplain it like this.
in clear prefectly still water smoking a blade gives the bass only a unclear look at it. they see a bait and bush wack it with out looking. going slow in the same condition the bass will get a very good look at it and either chase but not strike it or stop when they see it is a fake.
my prefured clear water set up. a daves high speeder

in muddy water an i mean just to thin to plow here. bass will need to be pried off cover with a crowbar they will be so tight. the trick in muddy water is to suprise the fish and get a reaction strike. if they are hugging trees a spinner bait cast along the tree will NOT get it done. you must cast to the main trunck of the tree -with out hitting it- almost drag the blade down the tree trunk. the bass will be there ya just got to hit them in the head with it.
in muddy water my prefured bait has 2 colorado blades is chatrusese with a chart. grub. i prefure these

or

only in the same colored shirt as the upper one

in windy conditions roll casting is a must as the spinner bait will readily catch the air. the bass will have a distorted view of the bait moving a round because of the sun light shining thru the waves.this distortion makes it excellent willow over colorado blade set up. like so..

i build my own blades but i don't share them very often.. now lizzy has seen the blades collection i pack as in boat tackle. he is the only member here that has seen all 4 versions of the stein..i am not going to post them pictures..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 06-24-06 at 04:50 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 04:56 PM   #11
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

You will see this happen on certain lakes.....
with a strong wind it will direct the baitfish into coves because of the wind. Therefore the bass follow and you can catch them really easily with a spinnerbait. I do that almost everytime I am upstate with wind.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.