Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-23-06, 11:36 PM   #1
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Worms and gut hooking dilema

Hopefully you guys can help me with this. I believe that I am a decent soft plastic angler. When I use them I can generally produce. However I will only utilize worms when NOTHING else is working for me. The reason- I'm a big animal lover and especially lately I have been deep hooking the hell out of my fish. I know bass are resilient fish and can take alot of abuse, but I just get a sick feeling when it happens. More times than not I end up just cutting of the hook as far down as possible with wire cutters rather than risk more damage by trying to dig it out. I know they can survive with a hook in em, but what can I do to prevent this. I try to set the hook as soon as is practical but lately I've just been getting later and later. It's to the point now where I have almost developed a phobia of setting the hook. I'll let the fish swim around with the bait and hope he spits it out so I don't have to worry about it. Any suggestions? I know the easy answer is set the hook sooner, but I just can't seem to do it as quick as I used to.
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 11:44 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I know exactly what you are feeling, m cress. Flyrod and I often have the same problem, especially wacky rigging. One thing we have found is using a Gammy EWG finesse hook-it is smaller so it is easier to get out. However, those small hooks don't work for a T-rig. I don't have the answer-wish I did.
Old 06-24-06, 01:27 AM   #3
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

quit letting the fish swim around, I usually set the hook 1-3 seconds after I notice the bite and consistantly hook the fish in the mouth. pay more attention to the line.
Old 06-24-06, 06:26 AM   #4
pig n jig

Circle hooks might be the answer for you.They won't hook a fish deep, it wil always be hooked in the hinged part of the mouth.If I get a deep hooked fish with a regular hook, I cut the line as close to the eye as possible without damaging the fish and release him.I feel the fish stands a better chance of surviving until the hook corrodes, or rusts away, rather than try to remove it possibly killing the fish for sure in the process.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 06:50 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

M Cress

What it sounds like to me is you actually waiting to long on the hookset for one reason or another. Maybe not using a sensitive enough rod or just possible not the right action. I use a M/H airrus rod for worming and 65lb braid. Not syaing its right for your conditions but right for me. Another little trick is when worhin the worm hold the line between your fingers. U will feel the basss pick up the worm quicker and then lower the rod take up slack and WHAM In the correct place in there mouth. I use exclusivley wide gap hooks and the gut hooked bass is almost non exitent.
Old 06-24-06, 06:58 AM   #6
Mac1

I second the circle hooks and using the prescribed slow but deliberate sweep for a hookset, or simply just start reeling at a moderate pace. If you use the circle it will be a nose-hook type application for the worm and should improve your results greatly. I also recommend the true circle hook and not the octopus circle hook as the true circles won't hang as badly in the branches, both surface and submerged. Welcome to the board, and Good Fishing
Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 11:51 AM   #7
zooker

i don't count they bite i yank..
i have a set of wire cutters. i have cut several hooks and let the bass go..
at least i don't do like some, leave 10-12" of line and the whole hook in the fish..

i have even stone killed a fish this year i cut the hook removed it fish was dead..

there is no good way to not deep hook a fish. it happens..

zooker
Old 06-24-06, 12:00 PM   #8
JB

just feel your line and watch it constantly and you'll quit having as many hooks deep in the gullet
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 01:26 PM   #9
m cress

Thanks everyone. Must...Get....Over....Phobia.... For statrters I'm gonna go to a wider gap hook. Will pick some up tonite when the wife gets home with my allowance. I don't know what my physical problem is. I used to be able to set the hook quick and hard. Now I'm retarded and seem to have much slower reaction time.
Old 06-24-06, 02:01 PM   #10
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

use braid and as soon as you feel a bite set the hook.your gut hooking ratio will go way down.
Old 06-24-06, 04:59 PM   #11
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I hate gut hooking bass. I usually get one or two a year. But I have been thinking and what would happen if I had this during a tournament. I don't fish diehard tournaments so I was thinking let it go. What do you all think?
Old 06-24-06, 05:12 PM   #12
Rebbasser

m cress, I tried something today that seemed to work. The problem I have with deep hooking isn't on a T-rig, it is on a weightless soft plastic like a Tiki Stick or Yum Dinger. Today I caught 3 on one, and only one deep hook which I felt hit but wasn't paying close enough attention to set the hook when I felt it. Several times the bait felt "heavy"-I was fishing a watermelon seed Yum Dinger-and I set the hook without waiting to see if it was a fish. Twice it was, and neither was deep hooked. If you don't feel the fish but it gets that heavy feel try setting the hook. A swing and a miss beats a gut hooked fish every time as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-24-06, 05:49 PM   #13
m cress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
m cress, I tried something today that seemed to work. The problem I have with deep hooking isn't on a T-rig, it is on a weightless soft plastic like a Tiki Stick or Yum Dinger. Today I caught 3 on one, and only one deep hook which I felt hit but wasn't paying close enough attention to set the hook when I felt it. Several times the bait felt "heavy"-I was fishing a watermelon seed Yum Dinger-and I set the hook without waiting to see if it was a fish. Twice it was, and neither was deep hooked. If you don't feel the fish but it gets that heavy feel try setting the hook. A swing and a miss beats a gut hooked fish every time as far as I'm concerned.
You got that right! I'd rather swing, miss, and hook my partner in the scalp than gut hook a bass.
Old 06-24-06, 05:53 PM   #14
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m cress
You got that right! I'd rather swing, miss, and hook my partner in the scalp than gut hook a bass.
ROFLMAO!!!i'm glad i'm not on that boat!!!
Old 06-24-06, 10:25 PM   #15
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I haven't had a deep hook in a long time.....but I'm a firm beleiver in the ol' saying, hook sets are free! The slightest "tick" and I'm rippin lips.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-06, 07:56 AM   #16
Mac1

Duh, it just hit me...... Try mashing the barbs on your hooks......much easier to get out once gut hooked. Some even go in through the gill opening to retrieve the hook from the flesh. At any rate, you will get better penetration in the hard and bony areas, less damage all around on the retrieval.

Since your problem isn't landing the fish in general, you won't lose many fish without the barb. What I'm saying here is that you are certainly experienced in fighting fish and keeping tension on them already and therefore will land as many as before.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-06, 12:11 PM   #17
m cress

Problem solved.. for today at least. Used some super wide gap hooks that I would never have ordinarily used. Also concentrated much harder on quick setting at the smallest hit instead of looking around and not paying as close attention as I should. Not only was every fish hooked right in the lips or hinge, I practically doubled my numbers! Could of been the bait also. This area is not big on Yamamoto, but with all the praise of these baits on this site I tried a bag of 5" Senko pumpkin/black green flake. Thanks for all the help. This site truly does work. Just thinking of all the different suggestions while workin the bait made me concentrate much harder.
Old 06-25-06, 05:01 PM   #18
JB

congratulations!

I'd keep concentrating on line watching each time and feel for the tick, and watch if you're line moves...after awhile you can narrow it down to other species hitting your lure, when to get faked out and when to set the hook...bluegills will peck and peck and run , and you'll think maybe its a bass...many times ya set the hook, and if theres no bass, it didn't hurt a thing now did it...in other words you'll recognize the way a bass hits and get your confidence up there in no time
Old 06-25-06, 05:38 PM   #19
Deacon

Hey you guys...This should help you out with the "Deep" hooking them...

http://www.clearlakebassmasters.net/fishtips.htm

Check it and use it...I know it works!!!!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-06, 05:44 PM   #20
JB

awesome info!
I usually try that technique if it happens with a tiki , whacky rigged sometimes they suckit down...they got two words for ya...rofl
Old 06-25-06, 08:40 PM   #21
flbassman

I've only gut hooked one bass, a 11 incher, took the hook out as best as I could, and tossed hm back, he swam about ten feet off and got nailed by a big osprey. At least he died quick, naturally and usefully.
Old 06-25-06, 10:33 PM   #22
Bender

I was talking to a guy a BPS and he said they did an "in house" study. Hooks rust away within 3 days or so when submerged in water but line does not. So try to cut all of the line away and leave the hook and the fish should survive. I have not tested it myself, but if I am in that situation that is what I will do.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.